1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The DaVinci Code Movie

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by JRG39402, Feb 28, 2006.

1. JRG39402

JRG39402 New Member

What should the Christian church as a whole do about it?

2. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Personally, I will see it (as soon as I can find it at the used movie store or in the $3 bin), analyze it, and present the fallacies in it in a concise, yet informed manner.

I don't, however, recommend that everyone do this. It can lead to confusion. But, it's better than attacking it from a point of ignorance.

I did the same thing with the first Harry Potter book. It's better than attacking it from a point of ignorance; pointing out specific items.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Nothing. If an individual wants to see it, let' em. If they don't, then don't.

I personally did not read the book (it's not a genre of interest to me), and will not be seeing the movie. Some of my Christian friends haven't read it for the same reason as me, some of my Christian friends "refuse" to read the book, some have read it and not liked it, and some have read it and said it's fine.

If it offends thee, then be pursuaded in your own mind to refrain. If it does not, then be persuaded in your own mind to go.

4. I'm4Given

I'm4Given New Member

I agree with John but I believe the movie will cause alot of confusion amoung non-christians about the truth, but isn't that one of satan's
    biggest weapons? I think so.

Johnny

5. mnw

mnw New Member

It would be more benficial to study out and present the error more broadly. Brown's books was simply a fictional account of a far more broad and historical attack on the person of Christ.

Other books such as "The Arcadian Cipher" present the same heresy. They tie it in with many of the rich, powerful, political and religious leaders going back to Herod.

The idea that Christ somehow survived the cross or substituted Judas is the core problem. They say Christ did not die, He just fainted or some other dribble.

Then He disappeared to the south of France along with Mary Magdalene and live happily ever after.

Properly teach the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ, His perfect Deity and sacrificial death, and Brown's and other's gnostic teachings will defeat themselves.

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Perhaps not. Every non-christian I know is aware of the fact that this is a work of fiction. Interestingly, I know a few Christians who aren't aware of this.

If it offends thee, then be pursuaded in your own mind to refrain. If it does not, then be persuaded in your own mind to go. I myself have no interest in it.

7. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

Perhaps not. Every non-christian I know is aware of the fact that this is a work of fiction. Interestingly, I know a few Christians who aren't aware of this.

If it offends thee, then be pursuaded in your own mind to refrain. If it does not, then be persuaded in your own mind to go. I myself have no interest in it.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I'm with you Im4Given. It is heretical trash. Shout it from the rooftops.

8. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

I read the book, I like thrillers, a friend of mine (non christian) had read it and gave it to me and wanted to talk about it. As a thriller and page turner it was not bad - but the further I got in it the more I wondered what Dan Brown had been smoking - now of course it looks like he was just copying it from another book! I was able to sit down with my non Christian friend and let him know that from a historical perspective, the book was hogwash. There is no historical evidence, or Christian evidence that Mary M'w womb was the holy grail, no physical descendents of Christ etc - was also able to show him that when Clement wrote I Clement about 100AD that he quoted from most of the books of what we call the new testament - that was a huge eye opener for him.

I am concerned however that there will be alot of folks that buy into this hook line and sinker. I will not donate any of my $$ to this film and wish that Tom Hanks was not the star

9. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Dan Brown clearly admits that the theories about Christ, Mary, Knights Templar, grail, etc are not fact but left open to the reader. Many readers misinterpret his "fact statement" at the beginning of the book to mean that all the conspiracy theories stated in the book are fact. On his website, Dan Brown corrects this common misinterpretation.

I think observing reactions to the DaVinci Code is an interesting study into how the human mind interprets things and determines them to be true.

10. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Tom Hanks has played several questionable roles, this certainly isn't the first--but, it is probably the lowest on my scale.

I too, will not pay to go to the movie. I read the book, with interest, might I add; but, feeling guilty all the way through it.

I was under the impression that Dan Brown was a co-author of the earlier book and I obtained a copy of it from a used bookstore; only to find out that they were suing him.

Does anybody know the result of this lawsuit?

I doubt very seriously that they can make a lawsuit on a fiction story stick based on an idea from a "so-called" factual book.

11. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

That is a good thing to do. I do not; however, think you should compare this book to the Harry Potter books. Dan Brown has been interviewed and says his story is true, just not the fictional characters and events.

The book also relates to the divinity of Jesus Christ, which is central to our faith.

On the other hand, although many may disagree with letting kids read the Harry Potter series, the author does not attempt to make people believe in the mythical, magic world she created. Let's face it: Occulus-repairus is obviously a made-up spell and the entire book is intended to be fantasy. Riding on broomsticks, really now. The comparisons between a fantasy world of witches, goblins and other nonsensical themes is no comparison to what Brown has attempted to do with the Son of God.

12. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

The only comparison I was making was that I think it's wise to actually read it to make informed opinions. I was not comparing the works themselves.

13. rbell

rbell Active Member

I got to give some students a history lesson they actually asked for...

We talked about how the DaVinci code "controversy" was not new. (heck, appaently stolen!) We talked about how, all the way back in Christian history, there have been Christological heresies...and that this and Arianism of the third century shared the same wrong premise: that Jesus was not God.

Good discussion, it was...

14. mnw

mnw New Member

Was there ever a Harry Potter thread on the Baptist Board? Sounds like we may need one if not... [​IMG]

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Are you kidding? There were too many to count.

16. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Too many Christians will ignore the impact of the Da Vinci Code book and movie, unaware of how many people already believe some of the stuff Brown's book asserts.

I am not saying believers should go if they don't want to or if they think it will bother them, but we should be aware of the impact and not dismiss it. The gnostic gospels, for example, are gaining interest and ground. There will be a big unveiling of the Gospel of Judas this spring -- I have 2 links on it from TIME and the Washington Post I was going to post but have not had time yet to do so.

How many Christians know what was discussed at the Council of Nicea or how the canon of scripture came about? Not many, which opens the door for confusion when false statements are made about these two topics, such as in Brown's book.

I think pastors can use the popularity of this book and upcoming movie to educate their churches on church history and some of the fallacies floating around about the canon of scripture and deity of Christ.

My Da Vinci Code book is still packed up (I just moved) but as I recall, his statement on the front page is that all descriptions of architecture, art, and documents are factual. This is very misleading as it implies he has authentic sources for what he says. One of the characters is a historian who presents theological and historical information as though they are facts.

Brown's book attacks all essentials of Christianity and God's word -- we should not stand idly by but be prepared to respond to this attack.

17. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

What a wonderful idea. And there are plenty on this board who would be great at doing it and I hope they do.

18. Brian30755

Brian30755 New Member

What if Christians all across this country would spend $2.50 for a pack of THESE TRACTS and would mail one or give one to each of their neighbors? Just a thought.

19. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wouldn't recommend it. The only valuable thing — to an unbeliever not convinced by the Bible — is the exposure of the Priory of Sion as a modern fabrication, which is handled perfunctorarily in the tract. In fact, the whole book is laced with fabrications. That is its real weakness.

Both ABC and The History Channel have done good work exposing the book for what it is, and Christianity Today has dealt with the subject at length:

I THINK I CAUGHT A CODE

20. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen to that. And how about specific teaching about Baptist history and development of Baptist doctrine while we're at it?