1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Day TULIP Died

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by JonC, May 8, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never bought into the "Christ was speaking as a man" idea.

Don't mistake my own views, though. While I absolutely reject Calvinism, I also do not affirm a free-will theology insofar as man holding his own future in his hands.

Why would we read Luke 13 and conclude that it is not true of God because it was Jesus speaking as a man? This is what I mean by Calvinism bending Scripture to fit it's philosophy.

The context is, BTW, God speaking as God.

My point is more that nobody can refute Calvinism because for Calvinists Calvinism trump's Scripture (for a Calvinist that verse has to be Jesus calling to Jerusalem that He longed, as a man, to take the people under His wing for their temporal good....but that is far from taking the meaning from the text).

2. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't see how Calvinism brings glory to God. What glory is there in puppets following the irresistible commands of the puppet master?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In reality it doesn't. But that was it's goal (Calvin expressed his primary goal to be “to sanctify the name of God” and his motive as a “zeal to illustrate the glory of God.”

When I was a Calvinist my answer would have been that it glorified God by explaining His sovereignty over all creation. In the judgment of the list we see God glorified in His justness. In the redeemed we see Him glorified in His mercy.

But in reality Calvinism minimalizes God and inflates mankind (particularly sin). This is because Calvinism itself can stand alone (with the concept of any supreme being) if its presuppositions about justice are believed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No.

5. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    When my daughter was 18 months old, she had a prolonged ear infection that required me to hold her still while a doctor drained the infection in her middle ear with a needle inserted through her ear drum. The alternative would have resulted in her going deaf. As she lay there terrified and screaming … as I held her head still … as the doctor stuck a needle into her painful to the touch ear … was that LOVE?

Love itself can be a hard thing to identify.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Biblical theology it's truths are the presuppositions. Calvinism believes it's presuppositions are those. [Non- & Anti-Calvinists disagree.]

7. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Day TULIP Died
    is another way of saying, "I do not know 'The TRUTH'"

There is a Higher Realm of The Spirit than the natural thinking of man.

In "sound" religious circles, where people are aware of Adamic sin and the ability to reconcile issues regarding The Glory of God in His Eternal Plan of Salvation, those of a Spiritual aptitude that Honors God rather than man are said to, simply, know "The TRUTH".

Others have their own thing.

I can't tell them what to believe.

They believe, "The Day TULIP Died".

Something sound men would call, "unbelief".

8. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So after that long comment do you agree trhat God desires all men to be saved or do you think that only a pre-selected group will be saved?

9. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    I find it just a bit strange that the calvinist can not, for some reason, just read the text of the bible without twisting it or reading into it what they need to find.
    1Ti 2:1 ...giving of thanks be made for all men,
    Mat 11:28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden...

The clear reading is that in both cases it is for all men, now that may include Kings, Leaders, Jews, Gentiles, rich, poor etc. But they are all part of the all men. Why do calvinists have such a hard time with the scriptures. It seems like you want to jump through hoops of your own making and then do not understand why others do not.

Simple solution, trust the bible and not your man-made theology.

#29 Silverhair, May 8, 2022
    Last edited: May 8, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I think any parent would agree that what you had to do was done out of love. And I think that any Christian would agree that sometimes things that God does to His children is done in love.

Determining that some of those children will spend an eternity in hell because He did not select them for salvation is not love.

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is, as the author came to believe, love and determinism fundamentally irreconcilable?

I do not think I understand the conflict between love and determinism, but determinism is fundamentally irreconcilable with scripture. The inspired word says things happen by chance. Thus the biblical view is God is sovereign because He either causes or allows whatsoever comes to pass. God gives the lost the opportunity to choose life or death, and encourages the lost to choose life. Deuteronomy 30:19

As I understand God's actual attributes as described in scripture, there is no conflict between His actual sovereignty (causes or allows) and His attribute of love. Providing an opportunity to be saved demonstrates His love, and His gracious act of choosing to save those whose faith He credits as righteousness certainly defines sacrificial love.

But the author is spot on in thinking it is time to consign the false TULI doctrines of the Tulip to the dust bin of history.

12. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What does the Bible say about being chosen, elected and predestined?
    If you want to ignore the many, many verses where God does this while misinterpreting one sentence to make it so you can be lord over God, then that is what you want to do.
    As for me, I will let all of God's Word inform me of His Sovereignty and authority over all His creation. You can go on blaming God for why humans go to hell.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is true. To those who are perishing, the Gospel is the stench of death, so they either have to leave it, or rewrite it.

2 Corinthians 2:14-17 NLT But thank God! He has made us his captives and continues to lead us along in Christ's triumphal procession. Now he uses us to spread the knowledge of Christ everywhere, like a sweet perfume. Our lives are a Christ-like fragrance rising up to God. But this fragrance is perceived differently by those who are being saved and by those who are perishing. To those who are perishing, we are a dreadful smell of death and doom. But to those who are being saved, we are a life-giving perfume. And who is adequate for such a task as this? You see, we are not like the many hucksters who preach for personal profit. We preach the word of God with sincerity and with Christ's authority, knowing that God is watching us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have seen how you do not allow Gods' word to lead you. What verse did I misinterpret, you make these kind of claims but never back them up. I do not interpret scripture, by reading it through a theological lens as some on here do, I just read what it says in clear English.

As usual from you, you try to twist whatever someone says. It is not God that sends people to hell, it is their sin. It is your errant theology that makes God the one that causes people to be in hell for no other reason than He did not pick them out to be saved. You have been shown this many times but you just ignore it and continue to make your false claims.

You ask "What does the Bible say about being chosen, elected and predestined?" If you would just let the bible speak and not read into the scriptures what you need to find then perhaps you would find out what the bible actually does say, which is not what you need it to say.

#34 Silverhair, May 9, 2022
    Last edited: May 9, 2022
  15. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who the heck is TULIP?

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We always have to check our presuppositions at the door prior to studying Scripture. Often we don't. Many times we can't.

But that is where opposing positions help.

Others (who do not hold our presuppositions) readily see what we don't insofar as assumptions or things we bring into theology as opposed to allowing Scripture dictate our beliefs.

The issue is when questioned about assumptions many simply ignore the question and claim it is the "plain teachings", "obvious", etc. They not only refuse to justify the things they bring to the Word but they blindly refuse to see the things they carry.

This applies to Calvinists and non-Calvinists alike. There often comes a point when we shove our fingers into our ears and shout "ain't so" to avoid dealing with what we cannot defend.

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. The author was a Calvinist. It is another way of saying "I was once a Calvinist but came to see it as a false representation of redemption".

Sound men would say it is a rejection of Calvinism, not for a lack of knowing but for arriving at the conclusion it is incorrect.

There is a reason Calvinists are a minority among Christians. It is not just because it is a relatively new understanding (which in itself does not make Calvinism incorrect). It is also that the majority do not share Calvinistic presuppositions.

Within Christianity there are several soteriological views. To blindly claim yours is correct without even engaging other views is not sound practice.

You could hold the correct view. Most of Christianity could be in error. But to simply hold your view as a cult member affirms their "truth" - even if correct - calls into question your own belief (not what you believe but how you believe it).

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Total depravity, Unconditional Election, Limited Atonement, Irresistible Grace, Perseverance of the Saints. This within the confines of the Penal Substitution Theory of Atonement.

Men are without the ability to turn to God.

God chooses who He will save.

He either chooses out of Fallen man to save some and bypass most, or He chooses to save some and damn others.

Christ died to provide salvation for the elect.

On the cross God punished Christ (or our sins in Christ) instead of punishing us. Therefore He had to die only for the elect (otherwise we have universalism).

The elect cannot resist God's call to salvation.

The saints will not be lost.

19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    TULIP is an acronym for the responses of the Synod of Dort to the Five Remonstrances drawn up by the disciples of Arminius. It is not the codification of Calvinism. Calvinism has never been codified.

Calvinism is a term used for those who believe in predestination according to God's purposes of election. He will save His people from their sins. Calvinism is simply the Gospel.

The OP bemoans what all who deny God's sovereignty in salvation bemoan, that it's 'unfair' and 'unloving.' Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will? Romans 9:19

But Paul admits, that it only sounds unfair and unloving to those who are perishing. Odd that JonC agreed with my post, LOL.

20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why?

It is true. To those who are perishing, the Gospel is the stench of death, so they either have to leave it, or rewrite it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.