1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Day You Were Saved

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by donnA, Feb 18, 2005.

1. 5xBlessed

5xBlessed New Member

I remember the year and season. It was winter 1997. That's all I remember regarding the date. I was a Catholic at the time and the term "saved" was foreign to me. It wasn't till much later that I knew people actually remembered their specific date of salvation.

Lucy

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

As long as you remember it happening. A lot of people have no idea the exact date, but remember when it was.

3. Mommyperson

Mommyperson New Member

Being Saved was foreign to me also.
    Saved from WHAT?
    I followed the misselette reading faithfully every Sunday.
    I taught Elementary Sunday School and went through the motions of the Catholic teachings I had learned as a Catholic youth.

Until one day, someone witnessed to me and I accepted the Lord.

I had no idea the awakening that would take place...AWESOME!

M:)MMYPERSON

4. LRL71

LRL71 New Member

Hey everyone! [​IMG]

Let's make this thread the BIGGEST ever on the BB!! It's nice to read all the testimonies...

God is great! [​IMG]

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Saved on St Bob's Day (March 17 used to be St Patrick's Day) 1957. Fear of hell drove me to my knees in repentance and faith, regenerated by the Spirit, and I called on the Lord to save me.

6. LRL71

LRL71 New Member

^^^^

St. Bob's Day? :eek:

Well, it's better than all those drunken parties being celebrated for some guy named Patrick! [​IMG]

7. Plain ol' Ralph

Plain ol' Ralph New Member

According to you? Or according to the Lord?

At least I didn't call you any names. I simply asked.

I was saved at 32, under conviction for sin many times before, not given the PRIVILEGE to be raised in anything like a Christian home. I bowed down beside a little bed at my mother's house. I was truly sorry for my life before, though I was good at just about anything I had ever done, I wasn't successful at anything BUT sin! I reralized that night for the first time that God was speaking to me that I wasn't saved at 12 like I had thought, and THANK THE GOOD LORD for savingme that night!!

I only think it is necessary to show others the Bible way of salvation according to godl;y sorrow, (sorry that Jesus died for your sins), and REPENTENCE! which IS necesary for salvation, (that gift of the space in time fopr one to REPENT!!)

So, friend, if you got anymore names to call me, well, try "Brother" next time? :mad:

8. Plain ol' Ralph

And John the Baptist experienced godly sorrow unto repentance when? He was regenerated in his mother's womb. Born again before he was even born. How do you know I wasn't?

I experience godly sorrow and repent every day of my life. It is not a one time thing, Ralph. One who has been truly pricked in the heart and been regenerated by God's saving grace will be sorrowful for their worthless lives constantly.

When did I experience godly sorrow? Yesterday, this morning, at noontime, last week, last month, last year, tomorrow, next week, as long as I'm alive I hope I will always continue to experience godly sorrow in my worthless sins and lowly state here on earth. The day I stop experiencing that is the day I can say that God has let this sheep wander to my own devices, but thankfully the Shepherd never lets His sheep wander too far.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Uh, friend, mebe u need to learn to distinguish God's separating J the B and bloodwashed regeneration?

9. Plain ol' Ralph

Ah. Someone with some sense on this board. </font>[/QUOTE]Funny that you two confuse godly sorrow with grace, but i am NOT surprized, fasle doctrines do have their way in the calvinistic circles. :rolleyes:

10. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I wish I knew the "day".

But, I sure do remember the day ... Amazing how God can break a heart down. It is easy when the heart knows that it is a guilty and dirty thing ...

Thank the Lord that He forgave a sinner like me!

11. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

And I thank the Lord that He delayed judgement on Plain ol' Ralph ... just long enough ... to REPENT ...

In Him ...

12. Plain ol' Ralph

Thank you Brother, and that repentence is continual at that! [​IMG]

13. Robert J Hutton

Robert J Hutton New Member

Warm Christian greetings!

On Saturday Sept 13, 1975 I visited a Coffee Bar in a Baptist Church Hall in Sheernes, Kent, England. I though it was just a social evening but the young people of the church used to have these events, invite people in from the street and talk to them around a table over coffee. A chap named Paul who lived down our road and who I used to know well as a small kid led me to the Lord using a booklet called the 4 Spiritual Laws.

I had been raised a Catholic and had always wondered how to have assurance of Heaven. The Lord draw me to Himself that night and shortly afterwards full assurance came.

Kind regards to all

Bob
    Bob

[​IMG]

14. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My son has shown a love for God since the time we were first able to discuss Him. Tonight when he should have been in bed he was quizzing me about the bible and testing me on memory verses. He asked me if the Holy Spirit was in him and how he was to know if Holy Spirit was in him. Didn’t know rather to tell him the Holy Spirit was already with him or not, but asked him if he wanted to pray and yes, he confessed he was a sinner, asked God to forgive him, told God that he believed that He sent His son to pay for his sins and that was the only way to get to heaven, asked that Jesus be the Lord of his life and to bring the Holy Spirit into him. Then kinda looked around a little, don’t know if he felt anything, but could tell he felt good about it. WOW!

10 years old, his name is Benjamin also, February 24th, 2005 ah, about 10:30PM.

Never actually took part of all that with someone before. What more could a dad ask for.

15. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

I was a Paratrooper for most of my adult life....Lived by the "spirit of the bayonet" and was on the fast track of being the youngest Command Sergeant Major in the U.S. Army. So many awards and decorations on my uniform that I looked like a third world general....I defined my whole existance by my accomplishments, and I was extremely good at what I did. I was a hard man, my troops used to say that I was "harder than woodpecker lips".

Well, as the Lord would have it, I was selected for a tour as a recruiter..(I had put in for drill sgt duty, but God had a plan...)

I was stationed in New England, and that winter I passed by one of those stark (Stephen King type) of New England graveyards....weather-grayed stone markers pushed over by the years...and for the first time in my life I felt a great despair. I remember thinking "is that all there is?"...Looked down at my uniform and felt no comfort....

As God would have it, I talked to a SBC Pastor who's sons had enlisted some time earlier, he himself had been a "tunnel rat" in Vietnam. I really don't remember exactly what he said to me, but I know that it hit home.

A couple of days later, I just couldn't take it anymore, and I bowed my knee before the Cross of Christ and asked for His forgiveness there in the privacy of my quarters. I remember to this day the feeling of a great burden (almost a physical weight) being lifted off my shoulders, and I wept for the first time in 20 years. I've got tears in my eyes as I remember....
    On the Tenth of May, 1990; He gave me a new heart, and to this day all I want is to serve Him.

Incidentally...if it is possible to have a "Life Verse"; mine would be 2 Cor 5:17

16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My parents had taken me to church since age 5, so for sevaral years, I grew up in church. Each year I went Camp BAYOUCA . Each year a counsler would ask me if I was saved, I said yes, but did not know when. Then on Sunday evening May 5, Rev Schultz was preaching and changelled us to be sure of our salvation. I thought about it during the invatition, that evening and the next morning. I then went to my Dad, who was a deacon, and told him I wasant sure if I was saved. We went to his office and sat down. I then accepted the Jesus as my Saviour. What a happy day it was in school! Then that year I went to Camp Bayouca, I now could truly say I was born again! And I knew the exact date! By the way, that year I also won the Camper of the weeks award, which entitled me to a free week of camp the following year.

Just a bit more, a couple of years ago, I was preaching up in Northern NY, and I was preaching on "Your Exicting Arrival in Heaven" and gave the story above. At the end of the service, a lady came forward to say she never knew for sure if she was saved. Before she left church that day, she was saved! [​IMG] BTW, she was a deacons wife.

Praise the Lord!!!

17. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was telling someone the story of my son asking Christ to be the Lord of his life and to be filled. I told that person that my son was probably going to be baptized in a couple of weeks. The person then asked me, “Doesn’t he have to go to some classes to learn all that stuff first”. I asked the person, “Is someone teaching a class going to tell my son what is in his heart?

18. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

That's wonderful about your son, Benjamin!

I've been a Christian for 46 years. I was saved during VBS in June of 1959. My mother was concerned that I was too young and refused to let me go forward in 'big church' or be baptized right away so the actual date is unclear.

I've given my testimony in the private members forum before but for those who don't know, I was 8 years old and had dreamed of Jesus taking the punishment my mother was about to give me for something I'd done that made her very angry. The next day, in Bible School, Dr. Bob Barker at First Baptist in Chickasaw, Ala. talked to us about that very thing... that Jesus died for just me and MY sins. I went to the altar but I got 'overlooked' during counseling time and waited in the sanctuary for someone to come get me to talk with me. After the buses had taken all the children home, Bro. Barker found me in the sanctuary, led me to the Lord and then drove me home himself. My salvation experience was very real, even at such a young age.

I'm so very thankful that I was born into a church going family and accepted Christ at a young age.

19. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

Mine was July 4th, 1999, around 12ish AM in the den at my home kneeling at the piano stool w/ my Bible opened to Romans 10:9-10 and my parents there with me. I walked out of my room and cried, "I'm lost!" we went in the den, I knew "what to do" from God's Spirit of course and also being in a good church.

So America's celebration of "independence" day is my celebration of my independance day and yet my dependence day on Jesus Christ, the Lord or glory! [​IMG]

20. bluejayy

bluejayy New Member

If you have never asked Jesus Christ to save you, you WILL die and go straight to Hell, whether you remember or not. I know a lot of people who love God, but never asked Christ to save them until years later.

I grew up in a godly home all my life,and went to church every time the church doors were open.
    I grew up loving God,knowing about God, and if I would have died before I was saved, I would have busted Hell wide open. I knew who God was, but never made it personal until August 29,1993.

If you don't forget your physical birthday,how can you not remember your spiritual birthday?

No one can remember their physical birthday; your parents told you when you were born.
    You actually experienced your spiritual birthday, how can you forget it?