1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

THE DIET THREAD #04

Discussion in 'Women's Fellowship Forum' started by I Am Blessed 24, Jan 19, 2006.

1. jilphn1022

jilphn1022 New Member

Thanks!

One of the reason that I enjoy getting another birthday is that I can celebrate with out guilt at least for the day. So when I had my 63rd birthday I enjoyed eating the candy which was of my birthday gifts. I am so glad that my friends have good taste when it comes to buying candy.:laugh:

Notice birthDAYS means we are only a day older! :laugh:

2. jilphn1022

jilphn1022 New Member

welcome to the club!

So glad to hear that you and your husband are back together and that he wants to go to the gym with you!

=ivorytickler]I think I'll join you guys. My diet starts tomorrow.

Since I'm out of work now, I figure it's a good time to do a greatest loser routine and hang out at the gym half the day. I have to get in some kind of shape for a job search. It's bad enough being either fat or over 40 looking for a job. I'm both. I can do something about fat so here goes.

I'm going to follow a diet my sister does. It's moderate carb but you have your carbs in the morning. For lunch and later it's low carb.

I have to have two servings of dairy a day and 5 servings of low starch fruits and vegetables, which I can have any time. If I want complex carbs, I can have them for breakfast. No bread or starches after breakfast but I can eat my fruits and veggies any time. I can have all the lean protein I want.

My sister has lost about 25 pounds on this and says she feels great. I don't want to step on the scale tomorrow. I was down 17 pounds when my husband and I reconciled and I know I've gained better than half of it back since he's been home. He is so not good for my diet, lol.

Actually, I lose weight when stressed and I was stressed during the divorce. I'm stressed now so I should be able to shed weight fairly quickly. My husband says we're both going to the gym every morning since I'm going to be home. The exercise will be good for my stress levels too.[/QUOTE]

3. jilphn1022

jilphn1022 New Member

I am planning on ENJOYING my Thanksgiving

dinner. The reason that I can do this is because I have made a declaration that I will enjoy the Thanksgiving Dinner because I don't want to offend any of the hard-working cooks who have made special foods and have prepared a special recipe to be told that I won't even try their labor of love in the form of delicious food.:laugh:

Don't fret! I will return to the pleasures of being on a diet after the holiday!

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Actual results were 6 pounds and 4% bodyfat lost. All I did was limit carbs, and increased the weight training with only 1 cardio session in 10 days. If I would have done more cardio (my knee was sore), at least 5 - 8 times, I'm sure the results would have been greater. I cut out fast food, sugars, and most carbs. We'll see if I can keep the momentum going. I would like to lose still another 10 pounds of fat, while increasing muscle consistantly.

5. jilphn1022

jilphn1022 New Member

congrat! webdog!

I must admit that you have better will power than I have so far. At least I was able to exercise in the form of snow shoveling! You get so tired after you have shovel for hours that you are too tired to eat!:laugh:

Keep up the good job!

6. jilphn1022

jilphn1022 New Member

Just can't shake those holiday pounds!

I have not given yet! I might have to start after Jan 1 st! Then there is those tempting chocolates at Valentine's, I guess you got the hint how hard it is to lose weight. I am over 40 which has been said it is really hard to lose weight.

Not a quitter,but I am not a loser (of pounds) yet!

Anybody out there feel the same way? Or are you younger and doing a better job of losing weight?

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Remember, it's not a race but a marathon. It's changing lifestyle choices. One of the hardest things to do is order a salad at McDonalds, but it's the correct choice. Once you get choices under control, and allow them to become habit (about 7 weeks), it gets much easier.

I'm not saying to cut out everything you love. Pick a "cheat day" (mine is Sunday). On this day I eat whetever I want, whenever I want...all day. It is MUCH easier to eat correctly the other 6 days when you know your cheat day is right around the corner. Friends want to go out to eat? Suggest your cheat day. Holiday doesn't fall on your cheat day? Change it for that week. If you take 6 steps forward, and one back, you are still going forward at a good pace.

Also, if you maintain exercise on your cheat day, you will find that even on this day you lose weight. Your metabolism with be flipping out, as it will have to rev higher to support the additional calories, particularly if you eat 5 - 6 smaller meals throught the week. Eat 5 - 6 cheat meals on your cheat day, and your body will actully burn MORE calories the following day.

Keep the faith. After 40, your metabolism has slowed somewhat, but you can still be successful. Exercise (weight training in particular) can reverse this decline in metabolism.

If you want me to evaluate your eating habits (be honest :)), and your exercise lifestyle (along with your current height / weight, sex and age), drop me a PM, and I would be more than happy to look at your situation and offer suggestions to help get you on track.

#187 webdog, Dec 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2007
  8. jilphn1022

jilphn1022 New Member

Good thought: Not a race,but a marathon

Webdog, Thanks for your helpful post. I am 63year old female who weighs 152 and I am 5' 7" tall. I can tell by your post that I need to get into some weight training. Although I have in the past treaded on a treadmill for an hour "covering"
    3-5 miles! I need to get some weights? Or do I need a gym with weights?

Let me try what you have suggested. Thanks again!

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You should start with bodyweight exercises and very LIGHT weights. Before anything, get the green light from you Dr. I don't know your history, and he / she will be able to tell you safely what you can and can't do.

My mom used to use soup cans! You can pick up light weights relatively cheap at a Wallmart or Target, but it's knowing how to use them that will garner the best results. If you can afford, join a gym or local YMCA and pay for a few personal training sessions to learn the mechanics behind each bodypart, and the correct form to use while working out. Take notes.

Do try the cheat day approach. For somebody that is having a hard time getting on track with their lifesyle changes, that works wonders. You will notice over time that you might eliminat some "cheat meals" on your cheat day, because after you eat really "clean" for a while, you start feeling "blah" after eating junk. Don't forget a multi vitamin, too. Without the proper vitamin and mineral balance in your body, your results can also suffer.

10. MargoWriter

MargoWriter New Member

newbie to this thread!

Well, ladies, I think I may be joining you here ... I'm actually near the end (ha ha) of my weight loss, but am yoyo-ing a bit .

I used to be very active on a Christian women's weight loss forum but it seems to have been down for maintenance for months and months.

I was at my all tiime low in mid August and quite happy with that weight as it was a healthy one for my height, age, gender, etc. However have gained back about 11 pounds since and as we all know that little can make a huge difference when it is youur last few to lose!

Am struggling with it right now because I find it really hard to exercise in winter (can only do indoor things), and I'm so busy that I tend to overeat due to stress. I'm sure you can relate. :tonofbricks:

So, anyway, I'd love to step in here with you ladies to cheer you on and get some encouragement myself. :1_grouphug:

11. Pete

Pete New Member

Repeat....

Better than 357 but still I'ld rather it around 180-189.

12. MargoWriter

MargoWriter New Member

Yep, I know the feeling Pete.

I am so busy I can't stand the idea of exercising ...

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Have you kept notes on what your lifestyle choices were leading up to the 214 and also when you were dropping to 209? I would suggest keeping a journal of what you eat and when (time of day), exercise (or lack of), and things happening in life. I guarantee you will find the reason for the yo-yoing by doing this.

Also, congrats on the huge weight loss! 143 lbs. is nothing to sneeze at!

14. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    WEBDOG - 10 pounds in 10 days??? I thought you supposedly knew what you were doing! Apparently not. You can't lose that much fat that quick. You have to burn an additional 3,500-3,600 calories to lose a pound of fat. You did not burn an extra 35,000+ calories in a 10 day period. Just doesn't work that way. I'm sure you got lighter, but it's not all fat.

15. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Any strict diet is not going to work. It's got to be something that you can live with for the rest of your life and not feel limited or punished, because sooner or later you're going to slip up.

The trick is to eat NATURALLY! Most people who struggle eat all kinds of artificial foods, and even if they eat natural ingredients, they cook it in unhealthy ways or add artificial ingredients to it.

Personally, I feel that the low-carb mess is dumb for the most part. They will have you believing that it's perfectly fine to eat all the fatty pork you want, but carrots should be avoided like the plague. The level of carbs that some of these diets have you on is just unhealthy. Some people feel better because your brain starts releasing endorphins to cope with the additional stress on your body but eating in this manner is not what God intended, this is a survival mechanism.

But yeah, consider what you are eating, and how you can make it more natural and more nutrient-dense. Eat more plain, dried beans. Try to avoid stuff like pork and fatty ground beef and only eat grilled chicken, venison, or the leanest cuts of beef. If you eat a salad, only eat spinach or at least romaine lettuce instead of iceberg. Embrace various types of fruit, and that doesn't mean put icing on top of the fruit in a fruit salad, I mean raw and unaltered. If you want green beans, don't open a can of "cream of mushroom" and make a casserole or something like that... steam them. Carrots too. Surely I don't have to mention soft drinks here, you should be beyond drinking anything like that if you're serious about losing weight and becoming healthier. Try very flavorful and naturally made foods such as guacamole, with nothing but an avacado, a little diced tomatoes, salt, pepper, freshly minced garlic, etc. For breakfast eat boiled grits or boiled oatmeal and nothing instant, and no additives like butter, just fruit or a little salt, plus some eggs, and no sausage, Kix, waffles, and that kind of stuff.

Most people who start to eat naturally in this manner just start seeing the pounds melt away, especially if there is any exercise at all. Your body is smart, you don't have to try to trick it. That's what diets are about... tricking your body... and most all of them will fail if you consider the long term. It wants and needs natural food. When it gets enough, you won't be hungry anymore. Most people can actually eat MORE food when eating like this. The problem is that processed foods are very calorie dense, and nutrient poor. The object is to eat food that is the other way around. God provided food for us in this manner, and for some reason we think we can do better... then wonder why the whole nation is overweight when we stray from this natural food. Makes no sense.

16. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you're interested... I think you would do better if you added some eggs. Right now, from dinner all the way until lunch, you have no protein or fats. Skip the toast and fry you an egg in olive oil, or something like that. This will be better for your body and will keep you satisfied longer. If you must drink that much juice, at least make sure it has no corn syrup in it.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Wrong. First, I didn't lose 10 pounds, I lost 6. Second, fat loss is NOT contingent on calories alone. Many things play into it like genetics, metabolism and when certain foods are consumed. If it's solely based on the caloric index, please explain how some who have gastric bypass surgery regain a lot of weight after the initial weight loss? MANY circumstances play into it. One pound of muscle burns an extra 50 calories an hour. How many is that per day...week...month? What does 5lbs of muscle equate to in 2 weeks?

18. Joe

Joe New Member

Preach it corndogggy :thumbs:

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Define "natural eating"...

Can someone expect to lose weight on an all wheat, fruit and rice diet? Curious also what training you have in this field?

For the list, there is so much misinformation here, I would seek a second (and third) opinion. Don't get me wrong, vegetables, fruits and grains are not bad, but to eliminate meats and say there is nothing to the low carb diet, and that you don't need to trick your body is misinformation. Study how bodybuilders eat and their lifestyle, and you see them "tricking" their bodies to respond the way they want them to respond all of the time. Hardly eating, or eliminating certain foods (like meat) totally sends your body into starvation mode which will hold onto every calorie you put into your mouth.

#199 webdog, Dec 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2007
  20. Joe

Joe New Member

Add some organic veges, wild salmon or wild trout, tuna packed in water, egg whites, whole milk, organic yogurt, even splurging with organic meat at times....and yes!!!!! fat doesn't usually "burn" until after 6 weeks, takes that long for the fat cells to disinigrate. These cells disinigrate with hard exercise, but it takes 6 weeks for this to really occur. Otherwise, these fat cells remain waiting to suck back up what you eat. You have probably lost mostly water, but still.....you're on your way.

Good job webdog!!!

#200 Joe, Dec 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2007