1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The dreaded doctrine of election and perseverance.

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Barry Johnson, Nov 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems to me what Calvinist says is the gospel really is has nothing to do with what it actually is, because to me the Gospel is the Bible alone. This means with out reinterpretation and philosophy but taking God's word as it is written and not as it is imagined.
    MB

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 8 Calvinist Manifesto

3. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What it really is the Calvinist Coffin that you have placed your self in. Gentiles are not mentioned in Romans 8 Paul was speaking about his brother Jews.
    MB

• Like Like x 1
  4. Barry Johnson

Barry Johnson Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is that because you believe we are of the ' other fold ' The problem with that is we have a clear verse that says that He ONLY came for the lost sheep of the house of Israel and he told Jews to only preach to other Jews. We see no break in this mission all the way up to Acts 11 .
    17Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?

18¶When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

19¶Now they which were scattered abroad upon the persecution that arose about Stephen travelled as far as Phenice, and Cyprus, and Antioch, preaching the word to none but unto the Jews only.

5. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen to the highlighted,
    and especially the underlined, MB.

#65 Dave G, Nov 10, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  6. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then according to Galatians 1,
    those who preach it are preaching a false gospel and are accursed from God, Barry.:Sick

#66 Dave G, Nov 10, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  7. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't believe its possible to understand the true gospel through a calvinistic lens . It is impossible to view the true Gospel this way . I will say though and I think your saying the same thing . And that is calvinists become calvinists AFTER they are saved . So I don't say calvinists are necessarily unsaved ..

• Like Like x 1
  8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It depends, I suppose, how you hold Calvinism and how you define the "true gospel".

I think the gospel is defined in the Gospels and by Christ (the Kingdom and how we can be a part of that Kingdom through the New Covenant).

If a Calvinist believes Calvinism to be the gospel itself, then I absolutely agree as it is "another gospel". But if a Calvinist believes Calvinism to be his or her understanding of aspects concerning the gospel then its a different matter.

The difference is being able to discern where Scripture ends and one's understanding begins.

Discernment is key. A Calvinist who can discern scripture knows his or her theological system is limited by the human condition. Calvinists unable to discern scripture believe Calvinism to be deep things of God (along the lines of Gnosticism).

• Like Like x 1
  9. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hebrews 5:11-14
    About this we have much to say, and it is hard to explain, since you have become dull of hearing. For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the basic principles of the oracles of God. You need milk, not solid food, for everyone who lives on milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, since he is a child. But solid food is for the mature, for those who have their powers of discernment trained by constant practice to distinguish good from evil.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As Spurgeon rightly stated, Calvinism is the Gospel, as in the best way to explain what God meant in the scriptures concerning salvation!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right on cue .

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    process!
    Read carefully, not saying Calvinism is the scripture, nor inspired, but best way to explain what scriptures mean regardinmg salvation

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need to read Spurgeon as a whole in context.

He actually said that Calvinism is the gospel but that he has a natural inclination towards focusing on divine sovereignty. His example was that Arminianism is the gospel to the Arminian (paraphrasing).

When I spoke of the the effects of the human condition I was borrowing from Spurgeon.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He affirmed that salvation was from start to finish of the lord....

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But that affirmation is not restricted to Calvinism.

• Like Like x 1
  17. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    One thing for certain my teacher will never be like you.I have a pastor, I have a teacher and I have the Holy Spirits who encourages me and corrects me when I'm wrong. I'm sure I do not need anyone with such grudge against as you have against me. Get this straight you are not a teacher you believe in your own ideas not the truth of scripture. You can't teach me anything because what you are
    MB

18. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've found the moment you say this system or that theology is the best way to explain the bible or the best way to explain the gospel you've already stunted your growth . This is the least of the problems in reformed theology . But I would say the moment you align yourself wholeheartedly to a denomination , systematic theology or worldview you have already ran into trouble. We all at some point fall into one theological ditch or another and then find we have to shed off the baggage we've picked up along unwittingly. It should be so obvious. It's named after another man , you'd think that would be a red flag . But no , folks happily sail into the harbour of ' scholarly ' opinions of men, theological giants of old . I mean who can argue with theses men of old who gave us these darn systems to begin with. " Regeneration precedes faith " Amazing!!! you couldn't imagine it was possible to pull off ,but here we are sadly .

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    Every believer should affirm that .

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The emphasis on we can do NOTHING to save ourselves is though!

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.