1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The early Church was not Pre, but Postmillenial. ???

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Iconoclast, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Tom Schaefer

Tom Schaefer New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Postmillenial Dispensationalists has became popular to the Baptists who used the Scofield Bible! Why the big change that has only been around since the 1800’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SBTS President Albert Mohler said on his radio show several years ago:

3. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    another off topic post

4. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem is that it is equally easy to provide another set of text showing that the world is going to get worse.
    And of course both are true. That's why I'm Amil. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    With the two lists of verses....an examination needs to take place as to if they refer to the end of the O.T.Theocracy....or the end of days on this sin cursed earth.
    In Timothy for example when it speaks of perilous times
    ..was that back then? Or was Paul speaking of 2000years in the future?
    If it was a warning in his day....it opens up the optimistic list after that time has past by.
    In the letters to the seven churches...he names living individuals so it was not symbolic of ages...ie, the Laodiciean period.....lasting for decades.

#25 Iconoclast, Feb 11, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  6. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am not sure I have ever heard of such a description. Tom....who is a representative of such a group....do you have any name of someone who teaches this combination? Did you mean....premillenial dispensational?

7. Tom Schaefer

Tom Schaefer New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry! I meant premillennial dispensational! Forgive me. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  8. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    2 Timothy 3:1-2. 'But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come.........' There are no more days to come after the 'last days.' '.....For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters........' This has been going on all through the last days. This isn't just for 5 or 6 years until AD 70 and then everything gets better. This is the situation that was going on in Paul's day and it's about today. This is what makes the Bible such an amazing book; it speaks to every generation.

So yes, the Gospel is being preached in all the world; yes we are to make disciples of all nations; yes, the Gospel is bearing fruit all over the earth; but at the same time the love of the greater number grows cold; men will not endure sound doctrine, and when the Son of Man comes again, will He find faith on earth? It is estimated that no more than 3% of the UK population has an evangelical faith.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One further thought on this.
    The Puritans tended to be Postmil because they were optimistic. They saw (as they thought) the Pope receiving a mortal wound, Protestantism being established in Northern Europe and the Gospel flourishing in the New World. They looked forward to an early Return of Christ because things were going so well.

But then in 1685 there was the Revocation of the Edicts of Nantes and the Dragonades and suddenly there were hundreds of thousands of refugee Huguenots flooding into England and with them the 'French Prophets' who were Premil and saw the mortal wound of the beast as being healed (Revelation 13:3) and looked forward to an early return of Christ because things were going so badly!

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I must have misunderstood the question. I thought it was what the early church believed (which is that they were going through the tribulation at that time, in anticipation of Christ's return and reign on earth for a thousand years).