1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Elect and Not Are Twins

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Aaron, Jan 20, 2019.

1. FaithAndWorks

FaithAndWorks Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Iron or against? What are you talking about fer is french for iron and agin is against. I am just reading peoples views, and asking questions. i am not jumping to any judgements. I gave my view and just continuing to read everyone's opinions. Are you asking if I am a Calvinist or whatever?

2. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Nah... I only need one teacher - God Himself. The Holy Spirit was given to guide us in the truth. He is sufficient for me.

But by all means continue showing yourself approved of men at how many non-biblical sources you know. I’m sure it impresses the Holy Spirit :Rolleyes:Roflmao

I hope you realize I’m not trying to be disparaging... just responding in-kind to the light-hearted nature of your response.:Wink

3. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I agree. That was the whole point of my post. Faith originating in an unregenerate human being doesn’t motivate God. God is motivated by His promise to Abraham that Abraham’s descendants would inherit the righteousness God gave Abraham.

Faith originating in an unregenerate human being merely qualifies that person for human adoption into the group known as ”The Descendants of Abraham.” This privileged, elect group inherits Christ’s righteousness as a result of God honoring His promise to Abraham to guarantee the righteousness given to Abraham to his descendants.

Faith doesn’t make you righteous... faith qualifies you as a descendant & God makes descendants righteous to honor his Word to Abraham.

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you're going to use the term, Calvinism, then maybe you should learn some of those names and learn what it means to use them. Until then, use the name of the individual you're arguing with. Because it isn't Calvin or Calvinists. It's some kind of illusion you have in your head.

Calvinists say one must be quickened to answer the call in faith. And that's what the Scriptures state. Wondering if you're listening to your teacher, lol.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Scriptures say you do need a teacher. And a preacher.

But if you aren't hearing Calvinists right, can you be expected to hear the Spirit correctly?

Anyway, I'm done. You have your opinion.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is flat out horrible doctrine my friend. Faith is what declares a man righteous before God. Faith does indeed make you righteous.

7. BroOldTimer

BroOldTimer Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    He means are you "for" or "against" something. He is from my neck of the woods. That's just how we talk.

8. FaithAndWorks

FaithAndWorks Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am for scripture and against the philosophies and precepts of men.

9. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You've made a mess of post #90. Learn how to make a post so one can discern what's YOUR's and what's being quoted.

10. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I know Calvinists say this, but the scripture says the opposite:

Deu 30:1
    “So it shall be when all of these things have come upon you, the blessing and the curse which I have set before you, and you call them to mind in all nations where the LORD your God has banished you,
    6 “Moreover the LORD your God will circumcise your heart and the heart of your descendants, to love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul, so that you may live.
    11 “For this commandment which I command you today is not too difficult for you, nor is it out of reach.
    12 “It is not in heaven, that you should say, ‘Who will go up to heaven for us to get it for us and make us hear it, that we may observe it?’
    13 “Nor is it beyond the sea, that you should say, ‘Who will cross the sea for us to get it for us and make us hear it, that we may observe it?’
    14 “But the word is very near you, in your mouth and in your heart, that you may observe it.
    15 “See, I have set before you today life and prosperity, and death and adversity;
    19 “I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. So choose life in order that you may live, you and your descendants,​

Before you object that this only regarding the Law of Moses and only for the Israelites, let me pre-emptively shush your Calvinistic tendencies with the words of Paul:

Rom 10:3-11 NASB
    3 For not knowing about God's righteousness and seeking to establish their own, they did not subject themselves to the righteousness of God. 4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes. 5 For Moses writes that the man who practices the righteousness which is based on law shall live by that righteousness. 6 But the righteousness based on faith speaks as follows: "DO NOT SAY IN YOUR HEART, 'WHO WILL ASCEND INTO HEAVEN?' (that is, to bring Christ down), 7 or 'WHO WILL DESCEND INTO THE ABYSS?' (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead)." 8 But what does it say? "THE WORD IS NEAR YOU, IN YOUR MOUTH AND IN YOUR HEART"--that is, the word of faith which we are preaching, 9 that if you confess with your mouth Jesus [as] Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation. 11 For the Scripture says, "WHOEVER BELIEVES IN HIM WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED."​

Here we see that Paul explicitly says that Deuteronomy 30 is regarding the righteousness which comes AS A RESULT of faith. It doesn't say faith comes as a result of righteousness as the Calvinists presuppose without reading scripture. Furthermore, we know Deuteronomy 30 is talking about salvation through faith because it talks about circumcision of the heart in verse 6.

Rom 2:28-29 NASB
    28 For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is circumcision that which is outward in the flesh. 29 But he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that which is of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the letter; and his praise is not from men, but from God.

Col 2:11
    and in Him you were also circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, in the removal of the body of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ;

Hebrews 8:6
    But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry, by as much as He is also the mediator of a better covenant, which has been enacted on better promises.
    7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion sought for a second.
    8 For finding fault with them, He says, “BEHOLD, DAYS ARE COMING, SAYS THE LORD, WHEN I WILL EFFECT A NEW COVENANT WITH THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL AND WITH THE HOUSE OF JUDAH;
    9 NOT LIKE THE COVENANT WHICH I MADE WITH THEIR FATHERS ON THE DAY WHEN I TOOK THEM BY THE HAND TO LEAD THEM OUT OF THE LAND OF EGYPT; FOR THEY DID NOT CONTINUE IN MY COVENANT, AND I DID NOT CARE FOR THEM, SAYS THE LORD.
    10 “FOR THIS IS THE COVENANT THAT I WILL MAKE WITH THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL AFTER THOSE DAYS, SAYS THE LORD: I WILL PUT MY LAWS INTO THEIR MINDS, AND I WILL WRITE THEM ON THEIR HEARTS. AND I WILL BE THEIR GOD, AND THEY SHALL BE MY PEOPLE.
    12 “FOR I WILL BE MERCIFUL TO THEIR INIQUITIES, AND I WILL REMEMBER THEIR SINS NO MORE.”
    13 When He said, “A new covenant,” He has made the first obsolete. But whatever is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to disappear.

So with it established that God is talking about the salvation through faith in Deuteronomy 30, we see that it says salvation is a choice God sets before man and that the salvation choice is not a choice made by God in heaven. It explicitly says that the choice for salvation IS NOT TOO DIFFICULT for man to make. So no need to be "quickened" as Calvinists presuppose. Furthermore, that righteousness comes AFTER believing is firmly established by scripture:

Act 11:17
    “Therefore if God gave to them the same gift as He gave to us also after believing in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I that I could stand in God's way?”

Eph 1:13-14 NASB
    13 In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation--having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise, 14 who is given as a pledge of our inheritance, with a view to the redemption of [God's own] possession, to the praise of His glory.​

And finally, the reason that we don't need to be "quickened" to be saved is because faith doesn't cause righteousness. Faith only causes us to be considered the human offspring of Abraham. No need to be regenerated in spirit for human adoption.

11. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    One man - Abraham - was saved this way. The rest of us INHERIT it through kinship. Otherwise, Jesus (or some other sinless figure) would need to die once for every saved person. But by Christ and Abraham exchanging Abraham's sin for Jesus' righteousness in a 1:1 exchange, and then by God promising Abraham that all of his descendants would inherit that righteousness, God essentially multiplied Christ's righteousness to the many.

The issue is faith has an INDIRECT relationship with righteousness. Faith has a direct relationship with adoption. Faith qualifies us as the descendants of Abraham, and all of Abraham's descendants inherit the righteousness given to Abraham for his faith.

2Corinthians 5:21
    He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.

Col 1:12
    giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified us to share in the inheritance of the saints in Light.

Genesis 17:2 (KJV)
    And I will make my covenant between me and thee, and will multiply thee exceedingly.
    3 And Abram fell on his face: and God talked with him, saying,
    4 As for me, behold, my covenant is with thee, and thou shalt be a father of many nations.
    5 Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I made thee.
    6 And I will make thee exceeding fruitful, and I will make nations of thee, and kings shall come out of thee.
    7 And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed after thee.
    8 And I will give unto thee, and to thy seed after thee, the land wherein thou art a stranger, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession; and I will be their God.

Galatians 3:7
    Therefore, be sure that it is those who are of faith who are sons of Abraham.
    Galatians 3:26
    For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.
    Galatians 3:29
    And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s descendants, heirs according to promise.
    Galatians 4:30
    But what does the Scripture say? “CAST OUT THE BONDWOMAN AND HER SON, FOR THE SON OF THE BONDWOMAN SHALL NOT BE AN HEIR WITH THE SON OF THE FREE WOMAN.”
    Romans 9:6
    But it is not as though the word of God has failed. For they are not all Israel who are descended from Israel;
    7 nor are they all children because they are Abraham’s descendants, but: “THROUGH ISAAC YOUR DESCENDANTS WILL BE NAMED.”
    8 That is, it is not the children of the flesh who are children of God, but the children of the promise are regarded as descendants.
    Hebrews 2:16
    For assuredly He does not give help to angels, but He gives help to the descendant of Abraham.
    Luke 19:9
    And Jesus said to him, “Today salvation has come to this house, because he, too, is a son of Abraham.
    Isaiah 54:1
    “Shout for joy, O barren one, you who have borne no child; Break forth into joyful shouting and cry aloud, you who have not travailed; For the sons of the desolate one will be more numerous Than the sons of the married woman,” says the LORD.

Rom 8:15-17 NASB
    15 For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, "Abba! Father!" 16 The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God, 17 and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with [Him] so that we may also be glorified with [Him.]​

12. FaithAndWorks

FaithAndWorks Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Actually I did, it seems there is problem with this site. In any case , learn to speak in a more Christian like tone . You can not even speak in clear English "Fer" and you are correcting me?