1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured the Elijah syndrome

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JonC, Jul 14, 2019.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    On another thread a member introduced a term...the Elijah syndrome....I only I am left.

I have not heard this term before and find it interesting.

My view is that any interpretation or position that is unique to an individual is bound to be wrong. Perhaps technically this is "playing the odds", but I always cautioned those I have taught that a new interpretation of teaching that has been around for over 2k years is bound to be problematic.

My concern is when people arrive at individual interpretations that they alone hold.

That said, there may be a bit of validity to the idea that if Luther refrained from acting on his "individual interpretation" there would not have been a Reformation. But even here there were influences of a more correct doctrine upon which Luther could draw.

2. GoodTidings

GoodTidings Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was on a different message board once, and we had a guy who showed up who called himself, "Tennessee Elijah." He sincerely believed he was the prophet Elijah and that he was the only person who truly spoke for God. All Bible teachers and pastors were liars and he alone had the truth. He had an acute case of "Elijah Syndrome," but I will say it was entertaining in some ways to watch him interact for the short time that the mods allowed him to remain on the boards. He even had written a manuscript that he wanted to have included in the canon of Scripture. He called it, "I and II Elijah." He was a weirdo, to say the least.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know what you mean. We've had our fair of crack pots here as well. Sad but kinda entertaining at the same time.

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many times when disagreeing with other sincere believers, it was suggested "God told them so." If I disagreed, I would be disagreeing with God. Needless to say, this line of reasoning is cult like.

Another argument is this view has been around for 2000 years, or was held by the Apostles, or some such thing. Usually the idea is to bolster one side of a disagreement, and disparage the alternate view.

The bottom line is some old views are correct and some old views are incorrect. The age of a fallacy does not make it true, and the youth of a view does not mean it is bogus, it could be a restoration of the correct view.

Both Calvinism and Arminianism are about 400 years old, but since they are incompatible, one or both are wrong even though many sincere men of God have believed those views to be true.

5. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What a surprise.JonC has not heard of this term and has come to the conclusion that it must be wrong .
    This is the same kind of conclusion John C comes to with his Calvinism or other people's Calvinism if he doesn't understand it or he doesn't it doesn't meet his approval of his proclamation of what is true then it must be wrong.
    I'll show in a little while while the facts will bear out that this term has been around for quite a while and it means exactly what it means.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had never heard of it either.

Are you saying the Elijah Syndrome is not wrong?

Yes, everyone does this.

Who is disputing that it's been around a long time?

Who is disputing its meaning?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never said that this "Elihah syndrome" must be wrong.

I never expressed a lack of understanding of Calvinism. In fact, I am a Calvinists and have continually argued for the position as expressed by the Canons of Dort to include reprobation (something TC rejected of my position on the open forum) and double predestination.

I never claimed the term has not been around for a long time. I said that I was not familiar with the term.

You seem to have posted a bunch of false assumptions. Did you even read my post????

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This post is an example of being uncharitable. Also it is off topic and unnecessary. It is why so many people have a problem with a minority of cals.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You shouldnt waste your time explaining your self in this case.

• Like Like x 1
  10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is odd. I thought the OP was rather clear. Yet @Iconoclast 's response has somehow discovered ideas in my words that are literally in opposition to what I wrote.

"There is a condition worse than blindness, and that is, seeing something that isn't there." (Thomas Hardy)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In the op...

• Prayers Prayers x 1
  12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me take a monent to explain.

Looking through the internet there are several definitions for the "Elijah syndrome ". I am taking it to refer to a state of loneliness in terms of being the only one holding a paticular idea.

That is what I was speaking of when I explained that I do not trust interpretations that are not shared by others.

I do not require an apology and you are welcome.

Next time, please just ask for an explanation. That would have save you from making such a reply based on a simple error.

(You were the only one to misunderstand the OP).

13. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Patience..
    The answers are coming.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What are the questions?

I think the "Elijah syndrome" is an issue (I was just unfamiliar with the term).

We have seen people who offer unique positions. I have not personally seen anything to the extent @GoodTidings encountered with "Tennessee Elijah", but no one here is questioning that these types exist.

When I teach on how to study Scripture I suggest reading several times without consulting a commentary. Come up with what you believe is being said. Then do a study to include commentaries. If your conclusion is unique, then you are most certainly wrong. Christians have been studying Scripture for a very long time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. GoodTidings

GoodTidings Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are misreading the OP. That is not what JonC is referring to. It appears that he is talking about people who come up with their own interpretations of Scripture and then posit those interpretations as THE truth to the degree that they believe that they alone have the TRUE interpretation and everyone else is wrong.

It's ususally something that cult leaders do and it is a manipulation tactic. They present their interpretations special divine information that has come to them directly from God. They feel that they alone stand as the only true receptacles of God's revelation in a see of lies passed down over the centuries. They also often view Christianity as nothing but a pagan religion.

False doctrine is usually a package deal. When you find one error, you will find it connected to a whole assortment of other theological errors, as well .

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    JonC,

Hello JonC, lets work through this together

Okay, glad you found it interesting.

#16 Iconoclast, Jul 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  17. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    InTheLight,

https://www.christiantoday.com/arti...nt-prophet-might-not-be-a-great-role-model-to

Elijah was a loner, an outsider. It was him against the world.

And the idea that we can be like him, the only pure ones in a world that's fallen away from God, can be very tempting.

It can lead us to condemn those who dont agree with us or speak the same theological language.

18. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    JonC,

While It could be that or used that way, here is closer to the way I have read of it or heard it preached

https://www.christiantoday.com/arti...nt-prophet-might-not-be-a-great-role-model-to

Elijah was a loner, an outsider. It was him against the world.

And the idea that we can be like him, the only pure ones in a world that's fallen away from God, can be very tempting.

It can lead us to condemn those who dont agree with us or speak the same theological language.

This is an attempted recovery, however you reveal what you were thinking here;

I do not need to make an apology, JonC. What I had posted was accurate and on the money.
    I know you dislike me JonC, but there is no need to try and turn the tables here once again.
    I ask that you refrain from doing that.

#18 Iconoclast, Jul 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  19. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No Rm. Once again your post is what is off topic. You thought you had an opportunity to "pile on"
    so you post this non-edifying post.Your posts are not an example of charitable posts

20. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    JonC,

JonC we see what you posted. I am not trying to jump on your words. You now see it is a term used, I can give many places where it has been spoken of.Perhaps we can move forward now.

You can be whatever you want to be, for or against. I do recall TC correcting your ship quite often.
    Now when I try and find the posts you have made, here is what I see;

Baptist Christian Forums - Error

This member limits who may view their full profile.

If you fix the setting on this, we could go back and see these posts you speak of...That would clarify quite a bit.

You mentioned something about 2000 yrs...:Cautious

Really? I am not going to nail jello to the wall, but here is what you posted;
    My view is that any interpretation or position that is unique to an individual is bound to be wrong. Perhaps technically this is "playing the odds", but I always cautioned those I have taught that a new interpretation of teaching tgat has been around for over 2k years is bound to be problematic.