1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Eternal Sonship Of Jesus Christ

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by tyndale1946, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes! This is the Council of Redemption, Covenant of Grace or whatever you like to call it (Eph. 1:3-14). Not to be repetitive, I am in full agreement with SovereignGrace and Tyndale1946.

2. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

3. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a point for those to ponder who do not believe in the Eternal Sonship!... Did the Father become the Father at the incarnation of the Son?... To be called a father implies you have offspring and any on here who have a son or sons and a daughter or daughters is a father. Those who don't cannot be... How can God be called the Eternal Father if he did not have an Eternal Son?... Brother Glen

4. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I asked 3 simple questions in a short post {#25}. You have not responded!

#44 OldRegular, Sep 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2015
  5. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You asked more than 3 questions, because the 4th one was a retarded attempt at philosophical doctrine building.

And you speak with "was" as if Christ stopped being God.

And we've gone round and round on this "Persons" nonsense before. I've asked you at least a half dozen times before to define "Person" as it relates to God, and the only thing you've ever done is define "person" as it relates to man.

So, if you start with the first sentence of your "Person" definition: "man is a rational being..."
    And then say there are 3 of these rational beings, that's not God.

So until you define "Person" as you think it applies to God, don't try to pressure me into agreeing with your purposefully ambiguous polytheism

6. OldRegular

Following is my post #25 to which you will not respond. James, you correctly state that I ask four {4} questions. Congratulate yourself James you have caught me in my first mistake in 84+ years.

I can understand you not wanting to respond to those questions James, but please do not call me polytheistic because I believe in the Triune Godhead!. That is the reason I asked you the questions I did. You apparently cannot accept the Biblical truth of the Triune Godhead!

Scripture is clear that there is ONE GOD and is perhaps best and most succinctly stated in the following: Deuteronomy 6:4. Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: Scripture is also abundantly clear that, though there is but one GOD, HE has revealed Himself as three distinct persons!

#46 OldRegular, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2015
  7. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OldRegular,
    I don't call you polytheistic because you embrace a Trinity, but because you embrace a Trinity which has 3 Eternals - at least it seems that way. And I have, in the past, brought to your attention that the Athanasian Creed states that there is ONE Eternal, not three.

I think you're purposefully ambiguous because you don't want your "3 Persons" god to be discovered as 3 gods. As long as you can hide behind familiar language, nobody will know...right?

But, that's not even the point of this thread - The Eternal Sonship of Christ.

I stated that He is the Heir of God, to which you wrote "NONSENSE". Then Percho quoted Hebrews 1:2 which says it plainly. Have you responded to that?

The Christ of scripture is the Heir of God. Do you embrace that Christ, or do you still embrace a different Christ?

That's a question that is relevant to this thread

8. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If Old Regular is a polytheist, I am very happy to be called one myself. I think he was very clear in his last answer to you.

9. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. OldRegular

I went back and read the post you reference above. I hope all who are involved in this thread will do the same. I see nothing that I have written there that I disagree with at this time. Furthermore, I see nothing I have written that is ambiguous!

Following is a repeat of your closing remarks, from the referenced post, in which you contradict yourself!

Rereading the above it seems to me that you are the polytheist on this BB JamesL!

#50 OldRegular, Sep 9, 2015
  11. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, brother. You're thinking of father and son through a Western lens. Biblically speaking, from a Jewish mindset, a father was - benefactor. One who would leave an inheritance. A son was the beneficiary of the inheritance - the HEIR.

Deuteronomy 25:5-10 had a requirement for the brothers of a man who die without a son. His brother would SIRE a child with the dead man's wife, to bear the name of the dead man. The dead man would be the father.

Abraham had two male children, but only 1 son. See Genesis 22, where God commended Abraham for not withholding his only son, and Hebrews 11:17 reiterating. Also see Genesis 21, where Hagar is cast out. Sarah says to Abraham "cast her out, and her son. For her son shall not be HEIR with my son."

12. OldRegular

#52 OldRegular, Sep 9, 2015
  13. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That quote is heresy as God the Sin assumed and took on our humanity, yet he took on ther likeness, not sameness of our flesh, as His humanity and very nature was sinless, same way that Adams was before His Fall!

God the Son was and is eternally God, begotten of the father, but the hamanity that he took on was ion the Incarnation, when he was born as Jesus...

Before that historical event, it was just God the Son, but since that Event, He is now both God and man, the man Jesus!

And he was able to keep the Law of God and to overcome satan die to Him being God in the Flesh, not due to some type of WOF thjng going on!

14. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

15. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about you quote some exact scriptural phrases for your view, instead of meandering through a bunch of ambiguous philosophical jargon?

Oh, that's right. You can't. That's ok. Carry on in your tradition

16. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Question to you is why don't you show a little Christian kindness?... Are you mister high and mighty and know all the answers?... I may disagree with a brother but I won't cut him down to make me look good... Show more of your Christianity and less of your Adamanity... Hold on let me give you scripture for that... You need to apologize to that brother.

Luke 17:3 Take heed to yourselves: if thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him.

Jesus also said another place if you've done it to the least of these my brethren, you've done it unto me... Brother Glen

#56 tyndale1946, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2015
  17. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    was JUST reacting to that part where jesus had taken on same flesh/sin nature as we have, and that he overcome by willpower...

IF he had taken on same exact sin nature that I was born with, he would not be the Messiah, and would not be able to have saved himself, much less anyone else!