1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Failure of Online Classrooms

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by RighteousnessTemperance&, Nov 25, 2020.

1. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Scott Downey

Scott Downey Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yeah, but you know what, I am less than impressed with the public school system even when kids went to school in classes. Many times all they learn is trash talk from the LEFT.

3. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, you’ve got a point there, one I’ve also considered. But the effects of students being failed this way may make them even easier to indoctrinate against the US.

Perhaps the best answer would be low-cost church schools. Maybe it’s time we looked at our nation’s children as a mission field.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Scott Downey

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Biden Vows to Defund Charter Schools, Despite Their Benefit for Minorities
    [​IMG]

Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden has vowed to defund charter schools if he wins the election, despite their huge benefit in low-income minority communities.

Former Vice President Biden made the pledge while speaking to Lily Eskelen Garcia, the president of the National Education Association.

Biden said he feels the same way that the NEA does about charter schools before adding that no “private charter school will receive a penny of federal money. None.”

5. Scott Downey

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What is a Charter School? | NCSRC
    So seeing Biden plans to destroy public funding for charter schools, and they are all publicly funded, I guess they are doomed now.

6. kathleenmariekg

kathleenmariekg Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    School have been failing. When someone wants to prove the current methods are failing or succeeding, they have a choice what they compare it to. If they compare it to what was REALLY being done, sometimes even marginalized children are doing better at home.

Some occupations are laying off workers when the onsite locations are closed. Sometime workers are sabotaging the online options to force a reopening. In our area, one city's library is making online service work and the other has sabotaged it and forced a reopening. More staff stayed employed in the libraries that reopened.

Certain children were being left behind. Those same children are being served even less now, but for all the hours they were caged in run-down buildings, what were they REALLY learning? Is outside those cages REALLY any worse? It was so bad that I am not sure.

I have seen poor mothers with their school age children in tow, teaching them to bargain shop and learning together how to use the library more efficiently. Parents with NOTHING are being given permission for the first time to rear their own children instead of handing them over to "professionals". This is going to empower some families. I saw a boy pushing a younger child in a stroller ahead of his mother, that is learning to bargain shop, as it sounded like they were in their 3rd store of the day, trying to stretch a very small amount of money to include some sugar.

Marginalized children will fall father behind in the race to complete as many AP classes as possible before graduating high school. That is certain. But I am not sure how much of that was real and how much of that was the most effective one-size-fits-all approach.

Yes, the Bible was written in a different time. But it commands us to teach our own children. If we were taught nothing by our parents, we struggle to teach our own children. We have no models. But when we have permission or are forced to do what we were designed to do, we figure it out pretty quickly.

Parents are best equipped to teach their children about their own world, whether it is seal hunting territory or a coconut plantation. Neither seal hunters or coconut pickers are equipped to teach AP Physics, even if they USE physics every day in their line of work.

I'm rambling. It is just ... God had got this under control. He is using this pandemic in all sorts of ways to give people permission to do what he commanded and designed us to do.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is one advantage to online - the parents can actually see what the teacher is teaching!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    Parents are being forced to sign papers saying they will not watch the Zoom classes. There is a huge uproar about this.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I dont have kids in school - so I wasnt aware of this. So what happens if they refuse to sign?

Would this be true in all States/Commonwealths

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They cant really force them. I have no idea what they or the parents think they can do. I would tell them to stick it up their nose

11. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think some children were not allowed into the zoom class until the parent signed. Zoom classes are as tightly guarded as onsite classes. As always, the excuse being used is "safety". It is not "safe" for students to be watched by the parents of other students.

Children are even being "suspended" and not allowed to attend zoom classes until the "suspension" is over.

Private schools are not admitting students that are behind in tuition because their parents are out of work.

Judges are ordering children in contempt and sending them back to lockdown for not having logged in enough hours, or not completed enough online assignments even if they did not own the correct equipment, didn't have home wifi, and had learning disabilities. This is despite the spread of Covid in these locked-down facilities.

Crazy is getting crazier. Inefficient is getting more inefficient.

Parent that never would have chosen to homeschool are breaking from the online classes and choosing full-out homeschooling. Long-time homeschoolers are not being very welcoming, which is really sad.

There are all sorts of mission fields open in this area.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Scott Downey

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It is because if parents saw what was being taught, in the way it is presented, they would get mad. And the schools want to own the students minds and hearts. Public schools are left indoctrination centers, like re education camps. They dont want the parents to interfere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My experience with "distance learning" indicates it is not very good for kids under the age of 10. I watched my grandson (age 6) attend a "class" on a computer. It held his interest for about 10 minutes, but the remainder of the 45 minute secession had almost no affect. The world outside of the screen, where he could look, jump, throw, etc captivated his interest.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    It has taken me awhile to understand how disempowering the educational system can be, when children are removed from their home-culture and educated exclusively by people from another culture that are raised up as superior in some way to the people of the child's home-culture. This can be a race issue, or income issue, or religious issue: any time children are taught exclusively by "other", with the conclusion that the home-culture is incapable or disinterested in educating their own.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Scott Downey

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Here are vivid examples of what the public system is doing to the kids and families.
    Left-wing Indoctrination in the Schools: It's Worse Than You Think

Teacher On How Schools Push Ban History And Leftist Agendas
    Your Parental Rights Don't Exist When You Send Your Kid To Public School
    Megyn Kelly Taking Her Kids Out Of NYC School After It Accuses White Children Of Being OK With ‘Black Death’ - The Political Insider

#15 Scott Downey, Nov 26, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  16. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here in Florida, students have 3 ways to attend “school”.

1. BRICK AND MORTAR: They have always had the option of attending a physical “brick and mortar” school building with classes. This option offers access to specialized programs starting as early as Elementary School. One option is specialized S.T.E.M. programs (Science Technology Engineering Math) for students with a tech interest. Another is the Middle School and High School Academies (areas of specialization) like the Teaching Academy (for future teachers), the Graphics Academy (provides Adobe industry certifications) and the Business Academy (for future business leaders and entrepreneurs).

2. E-SCHOOL: Students have always had the option to take classes online. Either some or all of their classes. A student with special needs can work at an adjusted pace or with special accommodations. A self motivated student can work ahead and graduate early. The online classes are often far superior to any classroom instruction due to their interactive nature, testing a child and directing to more assistance where greater help is needed, while moving on where mastery is quickly gained. If you ever need something to help a struggling student, I strongly recommend an online tutor called Shmoop (we used it to help with Algebra 1 for State Testing).

3. VIRTUAL SCHOOL: With the advent of COVID-19, the schools have added the ZOOM classes. Our limited experience with them during the forced school closing indicated that they combined the worst features of being in class with the worst features of e-school.

Our daughter has used all three within the last 12 months. She wanted to attend the BRICK AND MORTAR School both to see her friends and to continue her classes in the GRAPHICS and TEACHING Academies as specialized certifications on her diploma. At the same time, She does better with math on E-SCHOOL than at the BRICK AND MORTAR, so she is completing Algebra 2 and Pre-Calc at E-SCHOOL while taking AP History and Honors Chemistry and an AP Teaching Course at the High School.

Here is where the options offer flexibility. A change of instructors for Chemistry gave her a teacher that hates teaching the course and takes pride in the fact that none of the students passed his exam. So our daughter transferred from his BRICK AND MORTAR class to an E-SCHOOL class.

Our experience with the ZOOM classes were that the teacher-student lost the non-verbal interaction that helps children learn in a classroom environment, but the face to face talking prevents using the things that online formats could allow (like interactive graphics to learn).

For what it is worth, Teachers are aware of the problems with ZOOM classes and young children and the Teaching Academy students are working with the Universities and the NEA to execute different learning experiments to improve teaching communication with young children.

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When, WHEN, is the average person going to wake up and see this fiasco for what it truly is!? Forget the degree of actual danger we are facing, and just compare past "pandemics" and the responses of the power-hungry dems response to covid!!!
    Consider the OBVIOUS overreach in many states and the rationale behind such overreach.
    Simply look at what is restricted, and what is "ESSENTIAL" in most cases, and if you can't see the discrepancy, then you are part of the problem, and your future will likely be one of minute control by the ELITE.
    Time is of the essence!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    New York State - close churches and barber shops. Liquor stores are essential.

My car inspection was due in Oct. Would not pass because tires were not available, As tire manufactures were declared non essential. -I ordered my tires in the first of Oct - they just came in this week. Have apt at the auto shop in one week.

In the Spring - Walmart was open - but no sales girl for the jewerly section, and the Auto dept was closed.

Lots more stupid examples.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    The reason the liquor stores need to stay open is that if people are forced to detox quickly, many of them will need medical intervention, and this will stress the overburdened healthcare system.

There has been a severe shortage of rehab beds for a log time. The mental health professions have abandoned their posts and people are self-medicating more than ever. Mental health crises and suicides are rising.

Closing the liquor stores will result in an increased number of deaths. Reducing deaths is "essential"??? I understand many people see liquor as sin, but a secular government should try and prevent deaths in a way that is possible under the established infrastructure and current availability of resources?

In my highrise building in the city, we lost several people a year to overdoses, suicide, and sudden death as a result of drugs PRESCRIBED by mental health professionals. When the pandemic hit, and the doctors and mental health professionals and social workers abandoned the most vulnerable people in my building, I dropped all judgements, forgave everyone for everything they had ever done to me or were doing, and tried to keep as many people alive as possible.

Keeping people alive was even for selfish reasons. Dead bodies stink and the clean up process is lengthy and toxic and expensive and staff was more negligent that ever. For those of us that have been exposed to decaying dead body fumes for any length of time, it triggers a human instinct to keep people alive. I was never told about this instinct. I don't think most people want to talk about it. But I see evidence of others knowing about it's existence when I see certain laws passed.

20. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you ever seen anyone dying from having ingested a large amount of mouthwash because they had no access to alcohol? I have.