1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"The Family Church"

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Salty, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many churches advertise themselves as the "family church. IMHO, this may leave many single adults (esp div & wid) thinking they cannot be a part as they are no longer considered a "family"

Any thoughts? :confused: :rolleyes:

2. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

I think it's a good marketing tool. "The church that feels like home?"

I don't think that it makes widows/ers or divorced or single people think that they can't be a part of a church because they don't come with family. I think it's meant to make them feel that they can. It's not about "You have to have a family to come to our church" It's more "Here you can feel like we're your family"

Well...that's the take I have on it. My church has a similar slogan. "A place to call home" I think it is.

Don't let anyone fool you.. churches are very business savvy...especially big ones like mine. It's marketing and promotion. I mean realistically...home and family has a good feeling for most people associated with it. If they said "A church that feels like prison" do you think anyone would come?

3. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

I agree with the probable intended meaning of "family church" which is the way a church should be. In this case, it's just a slogan to indicate a "friendly" place. Christians should be "friendly" and, in this sense, every church should be "family" oriented.

The church is a "family" of believers purchased with the sacrifice of Jesus (Acts 20:28), which He loves and nourishes (Ephesians 5:25, 29), and which He shall present to Himself glorious without blemish (Ephesians 5:27). The head of this "family" is Jesus (Ephesians 5:23)!

It troubles me to equate a church with "business savvy" and "marketing" as if it were a business enterprise. I prefer a church that doesn't market entertainment and services but rather engages purely in worshipping God, teaching and learning the word of God, and supporting one another through the struggles of life on earth.

Not every Christian views this issue the same way. Some are comfortable with a large church with many activities. They view them as a ministry to its members and their community. Others Christians, including me, consider these other activities - even though often good activities - as a potential threat to the church that could overshadow and take away from the Lord's intent. They believe it is best to keep these activities out so that the church may remain pure.

4. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Our church advertises "A Family Church for You & Your Family!"

CHURCH WEB SITE

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    CHURCH WEB SITE </font>[/QUOTE]It is great that your church supports families, but Singles DO NOT consider themselves as a family. When I was single, I know I didnt.

6. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

We have a lot of singles at our church. They do not, in the least feel out of place, nor do widows, divorcees, etc.

They fit right in with the families and are often 'adopted'. Some of the singles are looking for a spouse, some of them feel comfort in the closeness of the families. [​IMG]

7. Ephesus23

Ephesus23 New Member

My church prints on its bulletins, "The Church with the friendly welcome." I guess that's more inclusive rather than "family."

8. Lil Sister

Lil Sister New Member

I don't mean to be offensive, but all of this seems like "much ado about nothing."
    In this day & age of "political correctness" we need to be wary of doing that to one another in the Body of Christ.
    A church that refers to itself as the family of God, or church family, or family-friendly, or... is probably just trying to let people know they want people to feel the reality of what the Scripture says: that all who are children of God by faith in Jesus Christ are one family.
    Nuff said! :rolleyes:

9. Lil Sister

Lil Sister New Member

P.S.
    We have widows who have made it clear they feel closer to our little church family than their own relatives. When singles come they are "enveloped" in Christ's love. Everyone fellowships with everyone--children & aged, middle age & young adult. Why divide the Body of Christ?