1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The first Arminian

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Ignazio_er, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Ignazio_er

Ignazio_er New Member

Is it true that Arminius was once a Calvinist? I recall reading somewhere that some heretics needed refuting, and he was selected because of his scholarly excellence and firm commitment to Calvin. Then, while searching the Bible for arguments, came to believe that Calvinism was false. Is that true?

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

Strictly speaking, he had to have been the first Arminian. However, if you define an Arminian as someone who does not believe in limited atonement, irresistible grace, or OSAS, then the vast, vast majority of all early Christians were Arminians. The ante-Nicene writers had never heard of or taught the L in TULIP, and opposed the only professing Christian group that used predestination as a basis for declaring OSAS, the Gnostics.

4. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

If put to the test, the vast majority of people who claim christianity today would fall into the Arminian camp!

If all baptists were taught the truth of scripture, and not the "feel good stuff" they too would lean Arminian! When I had my eyes opened, I left the Southern Baptist Camp too!

5. Southern

Southern New Member

Yelsew,
    Are you Catholic, Mormon, JW, or Church of Christ? Just wanted to know which one "opened" your eyes and what you were "blinded" about.

In Christ,
    Bobby

6. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

I am non-hyphenated CHRISTIAN, not affiliated with a denomination. I attend church where I choose on any given day of worship. The freedom I enjoy lacks only one dimension, and that is roots in a congregation that enable me to be a "voting" member.

If you are attempting to pigeonhole me, forget it!

My enlightenment comes from many hundreds of hours of simply reading the scriptures. That is, reading to get the essence of the scripture, Not to pass an exam.

7. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

I am non-hyphenated CHRISTIAN, not affiliated with a denomination. I attend church where I choose on any given day of worship. The freedom I enjoy lacks only one dimension, and that is roots in a congregation that enable me to be a "voting" member.

If you are attempting to pigeonhole me, forget it!

My enlightenment comes from many hundreds of hours of simply reading the scriptures. That is, reading to get the essence of the scripture, Not to pass an exam.
    </font>[/QUOTE]are you thus leaning on your own understanding?

8. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

NO! My understanding comes from many years of affiliation with "the church". My independence from affiliation with a demomination or membership in a congregation took place about 6 years ago when I was affiliated with a Calvinist Southern Baptist Church.

Over the past 55 years, I have been a member of Catholic, Mormon, Methodist, Presbyterian, 4 square, assembly of God, Evangelical free, Brethren, and a variety of Baptist churches. It is by choice that I am independent and have no membership biases to keep me from associating freely with whomever I choose to associate.

I have sat under a wide variety of renowned bible expositors and hold admiration for their efforts in understanding God's Word. There are several whom I rely upon for guidance in understanding. Among them: A. W. Tozer, Charles Swindoll, Hadden Robinson, Charles Stanley, Chuck Smith, John MacArthur, and Yes, James Dobson.

As I am a senior, in life now, I do not hold any man in awe, because I now realize they are all just like me. I know what I have been through to get what I've got, and I realize where their understanding comes from...the same place that mine comes from. Study, study, study.

The Bible has been my life companion in that we are never very far from each other. One thing I have learned, is that much of the bible is written from God's perspective, while much of it remains the mere words of man attempting, as we all are, to understand God.

One thing that I never fail to do is Pray for the understanding that God wants me to have from that reading.

By the way, I sure wish this Christmas season lasted a whole lot longer, there just isn't enough time to visit all the Churches I want, to hear the music, and the messages as they are rendered in the various churches.