1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Flat Earth myth and the Bible.

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Revmitchell, Jun 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does the Bible teach that the Earth is flat? Did pre-scientific people really think that the Earth was flat? Watch Richard and Calvin debunk the Bible skeptics who misuse various Bible passages to suggest that the Bible says that the Earth is flat.

Media Center - creation.com

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Joseph shall add

Why do people think the earth is a globe?

3. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the little I know, there has been belief the earth is round as far back as the ability to build ships. Horizon is entirely based on the earth falling away from you, which is impossibly easy to see at sea.

My non-politically correct response is that the Roman Catholic church and its ecclesiarchy are mostly to blame for these problems in the first place. A "denomination" I consider to be evil and reprobate from its inception. Those not guided by the Spirit cannot interpret the bible correctly as they will deem what is of the Spirit to be foolishness (1 Corinthians 2:14).

4. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unfortunately, the medieval Church followed the science of the day, namely the teachings of Aristotle, which were exalted almost to the status of Holy writ.

5. Joseph shall add

This is such a easy question. Lets use math problem to solve it. This is what people are told. the earth is spinning a 60,000 mph through space, and the earth is rotating at 1000 mph. And the earth is spinning moving eastward kinda. Of course that is changing second by second. But lets start there.
    If the earth was a globe a person as the smallest diameter of the globe would be moving faster then a person near the top of the globe. If the globe was spinning around a axis. The reason is less distance moving around the axis. Which does not happen. Thus we are not on a globe earth. If you were one a globe you could jump up and would come down 45 foot away from were you jumped up. And that does not happen. Math is a powerful tool. If you were own a globe and flew from Florida to LA. One way would be faster then the other way. If the earth is spinning below you.

6. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, it is. You should learn some. :)

Have you ever heard of something called Newton's First Law of Motion?

Again, check out the above referenced law of motion, and apply it to the atmosphere.

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The earth is definitely flat!.

I lived in Kansas for a couple of years!

HankD

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I remember putting this nonsense to the test when I was a small kid, and used to stand in the walkway of my school bus while it was traveling, and jump up and down. I wanted to see if I could slam into the back wall of the bus just by jumping up.

You know, it never happened....

• Like Like x 1
  9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because its what our first grade teacher had right beside her desk.

HankD

10. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It can't be. If it were flat my cat would have knocked everything off of it by now. :D

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hahaha

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

12. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is that the one that states only one backfield man can be moving before the snap and not forward toward the line of scrimmage?

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Joseph shall add

Well lets see what the God of creations states about it in his word.
    Psalms 100:5 You who laid the foundations of the earth. So that it (the Earth) should not be moved forever.
    So in this one scripture we have been told the earth does not MOVE. And how could it it has pillars below it.

Actually maybe i will give you folks some hidden wisdom. They tell you that in the center of the earth is a molten lead ball. But there is not any proof of that at all ( modern fiction). The Globe earth is also modern fiction. The planet be flat and it does not move. In all engineering there has never been taken into account any curvature of the earth. The reason is it is flat. You live in a world of corruption. NASA is a part of that system. And NASA is NAZI Germany transplanted. The space race never was. It was all fiction and it has been proven fiction over and over. The only thing that is truth in this world is God word. And you can bank on it all day long.

Sir Issac Newton produces a number of theories about the natural world. And not one of them is a law. Example is there such a thing as gravity. You live in a ocean of H20. Things float in bodies of water. And H2O is a body of water. So you have buoyancy at work not gravity. If gravity was really so power full that it keeps everything down on the earth. How is it millions of birds are not affected it. Balloons over come it daily. And it sure seems fickle. It does not exist. You simple do not need the law of gravity to explain how buoyancy works. Newtons work has been shown to be flawed many times.

Newton's second law error.The second law states that F = ma, with the assumption that m, the mass, is constant. This fails for high velocities. The Einstein equation is
    F=dp/dt" role="presentation">F=dp/dt where p" role="presentation">p is the momentum. At low velocities, p=mv" role="presentation">p=mv and so, at low velocities, we can write
    F=mdv/dt=ma" role="presentation">F=mdv/dt=ma
    The agreement at low velocities is called the correspondence principle. But at high velocities (using differential calculus):
    F=dp/dt=d(mv)/dt=vdm/dt+mdv/dt=vdm/dt+ma" role="presentation">F=dp/dt=d(mv)/dt=vdm/dt+mdv/dt=vdm/dt+ma
    This is the replacement law. Here I am taking m as the "kinetic mass", equal to the rest mass times γ" role="presentation">γ. The value of gamma" role="presentation">gamma is
    γ=1/(1−v2/c2)" role="presentation">γ=1/(1−v2/c2)−−−−−−−−−√
    so if the velocity is changing (which it is), then m" role="presentation">m is changing with time too.

14. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Say Joe, have you ever been in a airplane at 30,000 feet or higher? How do you explain the curved horizon if the earth is flat?

15. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is not Psalm 100:5. You are perhaps thinking of Psalm 93:1 or Psalm 104:5.
    However, consider Psalm 110:6. 'He [the wicked] has said in his heart, "I shall not be moved......' Does this mean that his feet are nailed to the floor? Hardly. The rest of the verse gives the explanation: '.......I shall never be in adversity.' (cf. also Psalm 30:6 etc.).

Job 26:7 tells us that God, 'Stretches out the north over empty space; He hangs the earth upon nothing.' Therefore the earth does not have physical foundations. What Psalm 93:1 and 104:5 tell us is that God has firmly established the earth so that it shall not be moved out of its orbit until God so decrees.

It is impossible to find the centre of something until one has found the edge. Since no one has found the edge of the Universe, it is impossible to state categorically that the earth is not the centre and that all the stars and galaxies are not rotating around it. However I see no need to hold to that view. What I do hold to be true is that the earth and the people in it are in the centre of God's gracious plans.

16. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is really good! Thanks for linking it. There was some guy on the BB not too long ago saying that the writers of the Bible believed the earth was flat.

17. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like this morning. In post #13

He's making my eye sockets hurt

18. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes Its possible. Don't know - didn't have cat or dog in Kansas. Also never drove to the edge :)

HankD

19. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You might have had bad eyesight due to the rarefied Oxygen at 30,000 feet.
    :)
    HankD

20. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And the myth was that science and the church taught the earth was flat at one time. While there were a few they were a miniority

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.