1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The folded Napkin

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by LeBuick, Nov 6, 2007.

1. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Very interesting! I don't know if that's WHY He folded it, but you're right.

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

My sister-in-law says her guide told this story during a trip to Israel:

The napkin was actually more like a shawl. It was used by Jewish men around their shoulders, then lifted up as as a head covering during prayer. (Even today, males may not approach the Wailing Wall Jerusalem with uncovered heads).

This is an interesting thing. Apparently, when the shawl was not in use, it was folded. Each family used a distinctive method to fold it. When a person died, the shawl (napkin) was part of their grave cloths.

As the guide told it, when they discovered the grave clothes still inside and the shawl neatly folded, they immediately recognized it as belong to Jesus.

As someone pointed out before, thieves would have not taken the time, nor would have been likely to know the family folding style. It had to have been folded by a family member. And that could only have been Jesus himself.

Contrast that with the resurrection of Lazarus, who came forth still wearing his grave cloths, which included the shawl (napkin).

Well, that's the story she heard in Israel. Is it true? Who knows. But definitely interesting.

3. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I hadn't thought of the prayer shawl connection. Interesting!

I used to have one, but I never used it in the traditional way. It was just for decoration.

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

There was a cloth found years ago that had an impression of a humon body that was said to be the grave clothe of Jesus. For the life of my I can't remember what it was called but does this disprove that myth? That cloth had a full body impression while it seems Jesus grave clothe were two part???

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

The Shroud of Turin

Ed

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Yes, does this verse dis-prove the shroud could have belonged to Jesus?