1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Forgotten Sunday-Scripture

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Gerhard Ebersoehn, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is an excellent example where reason and logic have left your argument - while making mine.

In Christ,

Bob

3. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think you think you're very good at logic - and I much too slow for you. Well, it seems true.

Now what's your point?

4. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You argue that "merely eating" is so rare for christians that it is "news worthy" --

My argument is that such an idea is ludicrous. The act of breaking bread was being used as a reference to worship and fellowship.

Hence the every day gatherings in Acts 2 - do show daily worship for the Christians.

In Christ,

Bob

5. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:

Dear Bob, you certainly have read Acts 2 a thousand times yet not once have noticed it in different places there speaks of two different kinds of breaking bread, as i have shown in a previous post . . . which you obviously bothered not to read.

6. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    My stance is not, 'to break bread' does not mean worship. It sometimes does, and other times doesn't. My stance is it should be decided case by case. Then in fact we are left with two instances in Acts where 'to break bread', factually means that the believers 'worshipped'. Those instances are, one, the first mention in Acts 2 of bread being broken, and, two, Acts 20:7, where it undoubtedly means Holy Communion.

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    OK - in Acts 2 you have them doing it daily - but daily gathering for meals and worship does not consititute "a command for a daily holy day replacing the 4th commandment".

Today we may have a "week of prayer" going for 7 straight days - it does not invalidate the 4th commandment. God's commandments are not a function of human-tradition or incidental practice or "human neat ideas".

8. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:

All you care about is to cross swords with everybody else -- not to hear their argument!

Where do you get the idea from I "have them doing it (breaking bread=worshipping) daily"? I say they did NOT, 'daily' in the sense of every day, congregate for (official) worship; but that the text means to say they every day of worship (which first meant every Sabbath, then every 'day' of worship like Passover), 'worshipped' in the sense i.a. of Holy Communion or preaching/proclamation.

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Time to quote the text again to get you back on track.

Read carefully to see if you see "from Sabbath to Sabbath" here.

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Mark 2:27 - And he said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.

Colossians 2:16-17 - Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath. These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ.

11. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

Colossians 2:16-17 - Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath. These are a shadow of the things to come.........

........as in the Tribulation, the 2nd Coming, and finally the restoration of the Kingdom promised to Israel in the 1,000 year reign!

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Shadow Sabbaths of Lev 23 (the annual feast days) with their animal sacrifces pointing FORWARD to the work of Christ on the cross have already been discussed.

13. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:

You have not begun paying attention to this text. It does not say "these things" 'POINTED' forward - NOT, Past Tense. It says they "(now) are pointing forward to things-in-the-process-of-coming", Continuous Present Tense.

14. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Verse 17 points forward to verse 19, which explains in unmistakable language just what, the "things-a-coming" are.

But your SDA ostified dogmatism blinds you so totally, I realise I'm writing in vain. You're so all-wise, but in not a sinlge particular are able to answer me.

Now a days I no longer even attempt to speak to the SDAs here in South Africa. They are Laodecea in truest sense. But the good many Calvinists here pay much better attention; things are a coming here, for sure!