1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Fruits of Our Labour

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by James_Newman, Sep 14, 2004.

1. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Luke 10:2 Therefore said he unto them, The harvest truly is great, but the labourers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into his harvest.

Matthew 9:37 Then saith he unto his disciples, The harvest truly is plenteous, but the labourers are few;

I would like to know what is meant by these verses. I see the harvest as souls being brought to Christ, and the labourers being those who are doing the work, planting the seeds and watering. If every Christian is told to be working, how can the harvest be great, but the labourers few?

2. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Compare the number of people in the world to the number of preachers, teachers, missionaries, individuals willing to share the Gospel, etc. The ratio is pretty bad. Or take a look around your own church - isn't it always the same few people who actually DO everything? Yes, every Christian is told to be working, but they all don't. In fact, it's a minority.

3. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I wonder how many people on these boards would agree with you Debby. I think you have hit the nail on the head though. We are all called to be labourers, but that doesn't mean we will all do it. I guess the next question is what is our motivation for labouring? If we can be part of the harvest, and not be labouring to bring more souls to Christ... other than our love for the Lord (for surely we should return His love for us) is there a scriptural motivation for us to be labourers?