1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Fundamentals -- Torrey, Dixon and others

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Just_Ahead, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My God, My God, why have you forsaken Me!' If that is not Biblical evidence for the Lord Jesus having been forsaken, then tell me what would satisfy you. The fact is that no amount of Biblical evidence will make any difference to you because you have set your face against the truth and nothing will move you.

We are told that the Lord Jesus was made a curse for us. Whose curse was it? Was it just Moses shooting his mouth off? Can we just strike Deuteronomy 21:23 out of our Bibles? Or do we not have to accept that the Lord Jesus on the cross (or 'tree' - 1 Peter 2:24) was carrying the curse of God - and expiating it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Something happened there when Jesus atoned for your sins and mine that propitiated the very wrath of God towards us, as He took full bore our judgement!

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He who knew no sin became very sin, and when he assumed on Himself the sin of His own people and became their sin bearer, even though he remained sinless, had to be treated as if was a guilty sinner!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Just_Ahead

Just_Ahead Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jerome--thanks for trying to get this thread back on track.

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you read those books?

6. Just_Ahead

Just_Ahead Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I have never read the collection of 90 essays commonly referred to as "The Fundamentals."

However, I ordered the collection for my kindle because I want to take the time and effort to read these classic essays that I have heard about for many decades. It will be my intent to make posts as I read the collection on my kindle.

This morning I read the following.

List of titles and authors of the 90 chapters (articles).
    Reads like a hall of fame of some of the famous fundamentalists of years past.​

Introduction: About the Fundamentals.
    Presents the name of the original series -- "The Fundamentals: A Testimony to the Truth," as well as the 12 titles of the volumes as they were published from 1910 to 1915 by the Bible Institute of Los Angeles, edited by A. C. Dixon and later Reuben Archer Torrey. The 90 essays were written by 64 authors and financed by Lyman Stewart in 1909. The intent was to send free copies of the essays as published to ministers, missionaries, Sunday School superintendents, and others active in Christian ministry.​

Chapter 1 (Essay 1): The History of the Higher Criticism, by Dyson Hague, Wycliffe College.
    Hague begins by describing the two distinct terms "higher criticism" and "lower criticism." The essay then is broken down into the following sections.
    Why is higher criticism identified with unbelief?
    Subjective conclusions
    German fancies
    Anti-supernaturalists
    The origin of the movement
    The German critics
    The Brittish-American critics
    The views of the continental critics
    The leaders were rationalists
    The school of compromise
    The point in a nutshell
    The critics' theory
    A discredited Pentateuch
    A discredited Old Testament
    A discredited Bible
    The real difficulty
    A revolutionary theory
    If not Moses, who?
    No final authority
    What of Christ's authority
    After the Kenosis
    Not obscurantists
    The scholarship argument
    A great mistake
    Not all on one side​

Until my next post --

Chapter 2: The Mosaic authorship of the Pentateuch, written by George Frederick Wright, Oberlin College.​

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Been over 100 years. and yet still we have to fight back against those in the Church who wish to be liberal/critical and tear apart Bible, Mosaic authorship etc!