1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Geneva Study Bible.....

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Grasshopper, May 6, 2003.

1. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm thinking about getting this version to go with my MacArthu Study bible. Any thoughts on the GSB? Good ,bad, or otherwise?

2. bjonson

bjonson New Member

Any study Bible that faithfully reprints the notes from the reformers gets my vote!

The reformation was a critical moment in church history. The true church was required to understand exactly what they believed and they were particularly required to defend scripture alone against the heretical traditions of Rome. Because of this environment, I believe the reformers had an excellent grasp of biblical theology.

I don't have this study bible yet but plan to but one.

3. Slambo

Slambo New Member

Were you refering to the New Geneva study Bible or the 1599 Geneva Bible??

4. bjonson

bjonson New Member

The NEW Geneva study bible, which has been renamed the "Reformers" study bible.

I assumed this is the one the poster asked about. I am not aware of the 16th century Bible being in print!

Thanks,
    Brian

5. Slambo

Slambo New Member

Well, the 1599 Geneva Bible is available alright,but it is rather expensive.Not really sure about the New Geneva Study Bible though.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The type of the Scripture text is small and the type size of the notes are SMALLER YET. If you don't have bifocals before you get one, you'll be wearing them after. :D

I have a New Geneva Study Bible sitting next to my chair/laptop. It is a great blessing and I would highly recommend it.

I disagree with some of the comments on the millenium (one would expect that) as I am still a pre-trib dispensationalist. But from the reformed perspective I doubt there is a better Bible out there.

MacArthur, of course, is also conservative and reformed. My study bible at the church office is his. Both are NKJV so excellent in that regard, too.

Go for it. Under $30.00 American

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product/101901068?item_no=58523&event=ESRC&item_code=WW

7. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks, you've convinced me.

8. Keith M

Keith M New Member

For anyone interested in a searchable online version of the 1587 Geneva Bible check out StudyLight.org. The Geneva Study Bible nots are also available at the Geneva Study Bible area. There are also other "old" Bible versions available at StudyLight if anyone is interested.