1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Giants Rant

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by ccrobinson, Nov 7, 2005.

1. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I want to preface this rant with the statement that I think sports reporters, announcers, commentators, etc. can say some of the dumbest things ever uttered in the history of the world. If you've seen some of my posts about sports, you know I have no love for the announcers at ESPN.

Here's a brilliant quote from last night's Eagles-Redskins game. (I'm not making this up. I heard it with my own 2 ears.)

Paul Maguire: Donovan McNabb is big and strong.

:eek:

Stop the presses! Wow! What a revelation! A quarterback in the National Football League is both big AND strong. Brilliant analysis from one of the premier sports announcers of our time. :rolleyes:

But that's not the topic of my gripe tonight.

On SportsCenter, they had a little piece about the Indy Colts playing the NE Pats in a pretty big game tonight. I'd say it's easily the biggest regular season game of this season. Anyway, the meaningless stat of the night was discussing other games where a 7-0 team played the defending Super Bowl champions. I don't know why this is an important thing to talk about, but the irrelevance of that particular stat is a topic for another rant.

The announcer talked about the when 7-0 Redskins played the New York Football Giants the season after the Giants won their first Super Bowl.

New York Football Giants?

Why is there a need for the differentiator? The New York Giants baseball team moved to California after the 1957 season. That was 48 years ago and we have announcers that really ought to know better calling the football team the New York Football Giants. Because if they say New York Giants, we're all so stupid that we might confuse them with the New York Jets. Or, maybe it's because they think we're reaaaallly slow and haven't quite caught up to the fact that the Giants baseball team moved to the West Cost F-O-R-T-Y E-I-G-H-T years ago.

I don't think I'm going out on a limb to say that the majority of sports fans in 2005 don't ever remember a time when the Giants baseball existed in New York. They moved E-L-E-V-E-N years before I was born, for crying out loud!

For the love of all that is good, will the sports announcers of the world stop calling them the New York Football Giants before I have an aneurysm?!

mumbling... New York Football Giants ... stupid announcers...

2. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe it has something to do with being in front of a microphone/camera?

Idiotic questions seem to be the stockin-trade of any media person; with very few exceptions.

My biggest gripe with the sports genre is their apparent belief that people tune in to see/hear them rather than the event.

I've been ticked many times when something obviously out of the ordinary happens on the field, and you never find out because the announcers are too busy snowing the audience with with their sage commentaries about some person/event/statistic from 5-10-20 years ago.

(In other words I agree with you!! [​IMG] )