1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Gideons and the KJVO crowd.

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Ben W, Jul 4, 2004.

1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

I noted recently that a Gideons Bible was a NKJV. I wondered how many of the Gideons Bibles are KJV or NKJV and if that is a result of pressure from the KJVO movement.

Should the Gideons Bible Society select another version of the Bible to ensure that they are not giving into the KJVO movement?

Would they be better off to use the NASB or the NIV?

I like the NKJV, yet it seems to me that if groups are going to pressure the Gideons into handing out the KJV, it might be time that we had a look at a change, or at least a variety of versions made available.

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is not a problem because the wrath of the KJVO pope and College of Cardinals has fallen upon the NKJV and has been labeled as even more deceptive than the NIV in that it carries "KJV" in its name.

At least one KJVO here on the BB has labeled and tried to prove the "Alexandrian" character of the English text of the NKJV but was soundly proven wrong.

HankD

3. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, the Gideons themselves foot the bill for every copy of the Bible they distribute. Therefore, they're free to distribute any BV they wish.

4. dave brauer

dave brauer New Member

The Gideons organization have a variety of bible versions printed. The versions distributed varies from camp to camp. Some camps distribute more than one version.

When I joined the military in 1980, I was given a KJ NT. When I gave a devotion & shared my testimony at a local Gideon's meeting, they presented me with a KJB.

I only use KJB's & that's all I distribute (I am not a Gideon, but I believe in the importance of publishing the Word in many forms & forums). The history of this translation compels me to use it, and to stick with it. I enjoy ministering to people using a KJB.

As one dearly departed old saint once told me (a gentleman in Ontario that distributed framed salvation Bible verses): "they haven't improved upon it". I must whole heartedly agree.

5. EaglewingIS4031

EaglewingIS4031 New Member

I'm a Gideon! we give out KJV becaouse it is not copyrighted and therefore it is cheaper. We also distribute NKJV's when asked for them . The Gideons have used NKJV's for many years. We generally give NKJV to to school children. Gideions describe the NKJV's as MEV's (modern english versions) the website describes the MEV's as "currently the New King James." I guess this leaves open the possibility for a future change.
    At our meetings and while speaking in churces we are to use only the KJV. Not because we are all KJVO's but so as not to risk offending any KJVO's. We have an Independant Baptist in our camp who is KJO, to use any other translation would cause division.
    We also are not to talk about specific doctrines and worship styles at Gideon meetings for the same reason such as padeobaptism, speaking in tounges, Calvinism/arminianism etc.

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I would prefer to see the Gideons go to the NKJV exclusively. A leader of the local camp told me it's not about the copyright issue...they primarily still do the KJV because of tradition.

7. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yet here it the problem, in doing so, one group is not offended, yet there is growing opposition to the KJVO crowd, so in not offending them, you risk offending the other side. To be blunt, I dont find it offensive, yet I am concerned that the Gideons can be manipulated into kowtowing to the KJVO movement. That is not on in my opinion.

The Gideons do a great work, I wish they had much more support and resources to do what they do. Yet what is happening is barriers are being put up and there work is being comprimised.

I think that they should use one version exclusivley and deliberatley not the KJV although that is a great translation of the Bible. The NKJV is a better choice, because at least people from a non church backround can read it in a language that is modern to them. Yet with the KJVO stuff that is going on, they would be better to move right away from it altogether and look for a good international translation. Like the NIV, or the RSV.

8. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I worked in the hospitality industry for almost 9 years, mostly in mid-range motels. We always had Bibles in the rooms, furnished by the Gideons. They were also always KJV. Although I'm not KJVO, I never had a problem with what Bibles were in the rooms; as long as people had access to the Word, that was cool with me.

One motel I worked at underwent a management change. The new manager was...well, let's just say he wasn't very pleasant to work with. Wanted nothing to do with God or religion of any denomination. Ordered the housekeepers to take the Bibles out of the rooms and put them into a storage closet. The only way we could "give them out" was to wait for a guest to ask for one.

It was a funny thing how one or two always seemed to find its way into the lobby / vending areas whenever I was working, especially the night shift. Unfortunately, that came to an abrupt halt once the boss got wind of what I was doing. Made working there very difficult. Soon found employment elsewhere.

Anyway, I know that this is slightly off-topic, but I just wanted to share my experience(s) with Gideon Bibles.

God Bless!!!

Adam [​IMG]

9. amixedupmom

amixedupmom Guest

Agreed. [​IMG]

10. EaglewingIS4031

Im not a KJO. For my personal use I prefer the NASB and latley the HCSB and ESV. I also refer to the NKJV and the NIV. But I use the KJV for memorazation. I have several inlaws that are KJVo's of the Anti-trintarian Oneness Pentecostal vartiety. When witnessing to them it is better to use King James.

Though I myself am offended by KJO'ism I am not offended by the KJV. What is offensive about the translation itself? Granted it its out of date granted it may have been translated from in accurate manuscripts. In the USA what church body(any denomination) would be offended if a Gideon used the KJV while giving a church report?

11. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    EaglewingIS4031:At our meetings and while speaking in churces we are to use only the KJV. Not because we are all KJVO's but so as not to risk offending any KJVO's. We have an Independant Baptist in our camp who is KJO, to use any other translation would cause division.

While you should follow the Gideons' rules which the org has adopted, it wouldn't hurt to notify the governing body that KJVO is an offense to more people than is a non-Onlyism policy.

I don't mind offending the KJVOs if it's about their false doctrine. After all, JESUS didn't hesitate to offend some Pharisees about THEIRS.

12. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :D

(remove double post.DARN that browser!)

13. EaglewingIS4031

Robycop3
    You are right about the the Phariseeism!

But the Gideons are not about doctines in which earnest Evangelical Christians disagree. We are an Inter-denominational ministry whose sole purpose is to distribute the Word of God in the trafic lanes of life.

There are only 4 doctrine questions on a Gideon membership application. They center around weather or not you belive in Jesus Christ the Eternal Son of God.

Personaly I am a New-Covenent Reformed Calvinistic Baptist. (I love TULIPs) I think the KJO's are wrong. But I nor any other Gideon is going to fellowship with other Gideons and preach against or discuss denominational doctrines such as: KJVO, Tongue speaking, padeobaptism, Predestinanion, eternal security, second baptisms of the Holy Spirit, wine or grape juice, age of acountibility, escatology, types of music, or any other doctrine in which earnest christians may disagree.

Therfore I, a Reformed Puritian Loving Baptist, can work in unity with Methodists, AG's, Pesbeterians, Charismatics, Episcopalians, Lutherians, Church of Christs, etc. In order that we can distribute the Word of God in places that need it.

Isaiah 55:11 (KJV)
    So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

We distribute the bible in 179 countries and 82 languages the storiies of pepole who were saved by these biles ar far to numorous to list. Many of these salvations happened with an AV.

I think people who hold incorect doctrines should be corrected in love, grace seasoned with salt, in churches, this is a purpose of denominations. Corections of false doctrines can also be made in the worldly culture, or on this board! But not in side a Ministry that is acomplishing the the work of Christ's Kingdom. These ministries would include the Gideons, food banks and soup kitchens, Battered womens shelters etc. Why strain at gnats and and swallow a fly. KJVO-ism is a secondary docrine (all we need is Christ and him Crucified) it is not worth tearing apart a ministry.

In Christ
    Eaglewing.

14. Pastor KevinR

Pastor KevinR New Member

Every September Gideons come in droves to NYC to pass out NT's. They usually send a couple of reps to our church, and we take up a collection for their "blitz"...usually they give out the KJV, and one year, they gave a couple of our folks the NKJV.
    They told me they prefer KJV for the reasons stated by the previous posters, and the "copyright problem"
    I fondly remember when they Gideons came to our school and gave us little red NT's, which I still have! (and that was in 1977).

15. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

I am just glad there is an organization out there like the Gideons distributing the Word of God. I don't care what version. I think it would be nice if they started using a whole variety of BV's. But at least the Word of God is getting distributed. If they are concerned about the copyright issue I think a great Bible for them to start printing would be the WEB I really enjoy this Bible just dl from e-sword its good. (and no copyright)

16. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When the Gideon came to the E-Free church where I was ministering, Bible "version" was never mentioned or implied. Nothing (the church is NIV/NASB).

But when he came to my home church (fundamental Baptist) the speaker was quick to point out that these were KJV. Don't think they are unaware of the conflict and need to mollify/kiss up to the ifb'ers who still rally around one of the KJV revisions.

I, too, am thankful for Gideons and the distribution of God's Word.

17. brosmith

brosmith Guest

The Bible version issue is only a secondary issue when it comes to the Gideons. As an independent fundamental Baptist, I abhor the ecumenical movement and the Gideons are a part of it. It is an ecumenical organization that promotes itself as "a missionary arm of the church." What church are they speaking of? Obviously the falsely so-called "universal church." It is an unscriptural para-church organization that no Bible believer should ever be a part of.

18. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And just who is "brosmith"? Thanks for sharing your invective against Gideons, but take a minute and introduce yourself and perhaps explain why such vitriolic first post?

Thanks.

19. EaglewingIS4031

Brosmith:

Of'course we (the Gideons) are para-church!!!

We are a missionaary arm of the LOCAL church!
    We take donations from LOCAL churches not denominations.

Since when is distributing scriptures unscriptural?

I wish you could see one of our prison distributions, and tell these pepole locked up for their crimes and sins that giving them a Bible, that they are so despretly longing for, is unscriptural.

Matthew 5:6 (KJV)
    Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

Eaglewing

20. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would like to point out that I very much support the work of the Gideons Bible Society. In Papua New Guinea, many many people have become Christians simply after being given a Bible, it is amazing what can happen to a persons life once they can get one and read about Jesus.

As far as "The Falsely so called Universal Church" goes, that would be right, everyone knows that the Seventh Day Baptist Church are Gods true church only. :D