1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Gospel of the Kingdom

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JonC, Dec 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Throughout the Old Testament we see one very prevalent theme – that is this kingdom that God is going to establish through the Anointed One (through the Messiah or Christ). We see this in the Psalms, we see this very clearly in Ezekiel, Jeremiah, and Isaiah.

In the Gospels we read that Jesus proclaimed the gospel of the kingdom of God, that this kingdom has come near.

The parables of Christ speak of this kingdom.
    This kingdom is like a man who sowed good seed….
    This kingdom is like a mustard seed….
    This kingdom is like leaven….
    This kingdom is like a merchant seeking beautiful pearls….
    This kingdom is like a dragnet…..
    This kingdom is like a householder who brings….
    This kingdom is like a certain king who wanted to settle accounts….
    This kingdom is like a landowner….
    This kingdom is like a certain king who arranged a marriage…
    This kingdom is like a man traveling to a far country…..

Jesus preached “Repent for the kingdom of heaven is at hand” (Matt 4:17); Jesus taught in the synagogues proclaiming “the gospel of the kingdom” (Matt 4:23); Jesus went throughout the cities “proclaiming and preaching the kingdom of God” (Luke 8:1); Jesus said to them “I must preach the kingdom of God to the other5 cities also, for I was sent for this purpose” (Luke 4:23).

Paul preached this kingdom (Romans 14; 1 Corinthians 4:20, 6:9, 10; Galatians 5; Ephesians 5:5; Col. 1:13, 4; 1 Thess 1; 2 Timothy 4).

But I have noticed a tendency to shy away from "Kingdom language" (I noticed this on a recent thread, but I've also noticed this in churches). In a way, there seems to be a desire to reduce the gospel to atonement, or to the forgiveness of sins, or to getting to heaven. Scripture teaches us that the Cross was God reconciling man to Himself, forgiving their sins. There seems, however, to be a purpose behind this act - not just forgiving man's sins but reconciling mankind for a purpose.

Nicodemus asks what he must do to be saved. Jesus answered that to enter the Kingdom one must be born again.

I am not, of course, suggesting that we refrain from preaching "Christ crucified". But I am suggesting that preaching "Christ crucified" is more than preaching the death and resurrection of Christ. The main theme is, and has always been, the Kingdom of God. And the gospel is that the Kingdom has come - the Cross (Incarnation to the Resurrection) is how the Kingdom has come and the rebirth is how men enter the Kingdom.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One of the issues, in my opinion, is that "kingdom" does not mean the same thing to different people.

When God puts us spiritually into Christ, He puts us into the Kingdom of His Beloved Son, Colossians 1:13

In Matthew 8:12 we see the phrase "sons of the kingdom" referring to unsaved Jews who are connected to the national Kingdom of Israel. But in Matthew 13:38 the NASB uses the same phrase to indicate saved individuals.

Luke 17:21 indicates the Kingdom is in our midst or within us. Whether that means when we are indwelt or simply that Christ was among the group being addressed, others can debate.

Luke 21:31 indicates a form of the Kingdom is near when Christ returns.

In John 18:36 we learn that Christ's Kingdom is not of this world.

In Ephesians 5:5 we learn that the our Kingdom is of both the Father and the Son.

In 2 Peter 1:11 we learn that one form of the Kingdom is eternal.

In Revelation 11:15 we learn that the Kingdom of this world will become the Kingdom of our Lord and His Christ forever.

Therefore, when using "kingdom" you need to identify whether you are talking about an earthly kingdom or a spiritual kingdom. Otherwise you get our present muddle.

#2 Van, Dec 21, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The main theme of the OT was the Promised messiah to come, and the NT is that Messiah has now come, and the main thrust is to get reconciled back to God now, Pauline Justification os the very heart of the Gospel!

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't be so dismissive of Christ's teachings.

The Old Testament's focus on the Messiah (God's Anointed One) was that this Christ would bring about God's Kingdom. The first century Jew looked for a messiah to bring about this kingdom as an earthly kingdom (along the lines of Judah Maccabee). But make no mistake, there was a purpose for the Messiah. And it was to bring about God's Kingdom (read Ezekiel and Isaiah if you doubt this).

And Jesus' preaching was not so much about Pauline Justification as it was about the gospel - that this Kingdom HAS come near. The question Pauline justification answers is what Jesus answered in Nicodemus' question - that is, HOW can I be saved....HOW can I be a part of this Kingdom. So it is a very important question (but not less important than HOW did God bring about this Kingdom.....which would be the work of Christ......and certainly NOT more important than the gospel itself).

The theme of Scripture itself is that God's Kingdom will reign. The theme of the OT is that God will bring about His Kingdom through His Messiah. The theme of the NT is that this Kingdom has come (that Christ IS this Messiah). Pauline Justification is very important. But it is not the Gospel itself. The Heart of the Gospel is the Incarnation (that God has come to dwell with man) and the good news is that you and I can participate in this Kingdom.

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The theme of the entire Bible is the Lord Jesus Christ Himself!

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    was the reformation fought over the views of the Kingdom, or those of Justification?

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree, but perhaps all of those things are not different (perhaps they are aspects of the very same Kingdom).

The Kingdom is, in it's basic OT form, God dwelling with man. I'd say that the Kingdom came into being at the Incarnation. But it is also here in a different way (Christ in us, the Spirit of God in us), and will be here in a fuller way, without distraction, when Christ returns.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Reformation was fought over a lot of issues, to include views of the Kingdom and views of justification.

But none of that matters. We are not talking about the Reformation but about Scripture....about what Jesus (our Lord and Savior, the God-Man who actually had things to say between His birth and death) taught.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is what I said. The title "Lord" referring to God and God's Kingdom, the title "Christ" referring to the position of the Anointed One (the Messiah) to bring about God's Kingdom, and the name Jesus indicating that He will save us from the bondage of sin and death.

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Gospels are not the primary texts to give to us our NT Theology though. as that would be found in the Epistles!

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Kingdom was a present reality, but also a future one, the here now but not yet in its fulness, and Justification is the main emphasis, as a lost sinners needs to first get reconciled to God again!

12. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    some "reformed" assume that the entire theology of the Bible is one, "Justification", which they also get wrong!

13. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Gospel of John has more on the Deity of Jesus Christ, and the Deity of the Holy Spirit, than any of the other 26 Books!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother,

You seem to be hung up on one doctrine of Scripture (justification/ righteousness) above all else. Jesus preached the gospel of the Kingdom of God (literally, that is what the Bible tells us). Paul preached this Kingdom as well. All of the Disciples preached this Kingdom.

One can miss out on justification yet still get the gospel right. But one cannot miss out on the Kingdom of God and still have even a shred of the gospel remaining.

Justification (more accurately, the righteousness of God) is a VERY important part of how men enter into this Kingdom. The New Covenant itself is the manifestation of God's righteousness.

But it is not right to down play the gospel in order to highlight any doctrine of righteousness.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is a concern. Anytime man chooses one doctrine at the expense of other (here more primary) doctrines error is always the result.

16. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Indeed

17. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    33 Bible results for “Kingdom.” Showing results 1-25.
    Bible search results

Acts 1:3To whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God:

Acts 1:6When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel?

Acts 8:12But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.
    In
    Acts 14:22Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God.

Acts 19:8And he went into the synagogue, and spake boldly for the space of three months, disputing and persuading the things concerning the kingdom of God.

Acts 20:25And now, behold, I know that ye all, among whom I have gone preaching the kingdom of God, shall see my face no more.

Acts 28:23And when they had appointed him a day, there came many to him into his lodging; to whom he expounded and testified the kingdom of God, persuading them concerning Jesus, both out of the law of Moses, and out of the prophets, from morning till evening.

Acts 28:31Preaching the kingdom of God, and teaching those things which concern the Lord Jesus Christ, with all confidence, no man forbidding him.

Romans 14:17For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.

1 Corinthians 4:20For the kingdom of God is not in word, but in power.

1 Corinthians 6:9Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

1 Corinthians 6:10Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

1 Corinthians 15:24Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power.

1 Corinthians 15:50Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

Galatians 5:21Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Ephesians 5:5For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.

Colossians 1:13Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

Colossians 4:11And Jesus, which is called Justus, who are of the circumcision. These only are my fellowworkers unto the kingdom of God, which have been a comfort unto me.

1 Thessalonians 2:12That ye would walk worthy of God, who hath called you unto his kingdom and glory.

2 Thessalonians 1:5Which is a manifest token of the righteous judgment of God, that ye may be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which ye also suffer:

2 Timothy 4:1I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;

2 Timothy 4:18And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Hebrews 1:8But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

Hebrews 12:28Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear:

• Like Like x 2
  18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good post.

I think what concerns me most, Iconoclast, is that the Kingdom is the context in which all of these other doctrines (justification, sanctification, even forgiveness) exist. We are not saved for the sake of God saving us, but we are saved for God's purposes, for His glory, and to be His people (to be participants in God's Kingdom).

A few weeks ago I was teaching in Luke and read the verse about Jesus proclaiming the gospel of God's kingdom. One member was shocked and said that she considered the gospel to be the Cross. My response is that we can NEVER minimalize the Cross - but even the Cross (God's reconciling man to Himself) falls within the overarching doctrine of the Kingdom of God.

I am just amazed sometimes that this is overlooked in favor of teaching "component" doctrines (which are important as well). And I have been guilty of doing the same. I guess it is easy to forget even our redemption has as it's end not a focus on saving man but on glorifying God. Scripture even tells us this, but it is so easy to get caught up in the trees we forget about the forest.

19. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    From The Kingdom of God and the Glory of The Cross by Patrick Schreiner he offers this pg18/intro

The Kingdom is the King's power over The King's people in the King's place.

In the same way, A Kingdom must be a realm.
    A King without territory is an enigma. The place of the Kingdom cannot be erased from the description and definition, just as a city must be situated.
    pg19/20-
    So what is the Kingdom?
    It is concrete; it is earthly; it is a people; it is a place; it is about Jesus; it is about the new heavens and the new earth;it is about community, politics, order, bodies, and human flourishing. It is about power, family, thrones, walls, gates, rivers, and streams.
    The Kingdom is cosmic in scope, and to close the door on the vast picture that the scriptures use to paint the Kingdom is to misinterpret and misunderstand the goal of redemption.
    In the Kingdom of Christ, the ransomed will be in the presence of God living under the law of the King.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    JonC

This is true. The kingdom language used all through scripture is intertwined
    with the language of Covenant; I will be your God ,you shall be my people.

The fact is that that the angels are the reapers who will gather out of the Kingdom all things that offend;
    mt13:
    The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;

42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

43 Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.