1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured "The Gospel" - What Is It?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by KenH, Feb 22, 2023.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    At salvation.

2. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, if he had an active roll in his heavenly birth (other than being the one that is born), not salvation.

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jon, whatever do you mean?!?

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When the roll is called up yonder I'll be there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well I've heard it all... It comes with the territory... Let God be true and everyman a liar... Some have said to me, well if I believe the way you do... OSAS, then I would go out and have my fill of sin... I tell them you forget one thing, God owns you, you are bought with a price... And you are Heaven bound BUT God if he desires can put you through living Hell until you get there... God rebellious children though out scripture and down through history know what I'm talking about... The prodigal son is one who finally woke up by Gods mercy... Brother Glen:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is a test of the believer - God disciplines His children.

I like how John Piper puts it (to paraphrase) - God changes your desires to His desires. It may not be all at once, but the sin that you once enjoyed will not hold the pleasure it once held.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well Jon at Salvation can mean, gospel, preacher, church, belief, I can tell you my belief in God came when I was knee high to a grasshopper... Instruction in the written gospel on how I was saved by Jesus Christ the Living Gospel alone came 55 years ago... Now you know... Brother Glen:)

• Like Like x 1
  8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I don't remember ever not believing in God. Of course, that doesn't exactly say much about me:

James 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Any scripture to support that?

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well I keep telling them I ain’t no Calvinist and they insist on going on using Hyper Calvinist as a insult. How much of this crap can someone take? Does mean they are suggesting I’m not saved?

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
  12. DaveXR650

DaveXR650 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    But if you notice that, isn't that self evaluation?

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like how Joseph Irons describes the Christian life and the warfare within it. I certainly find it so in my life.

"If it is of no use to attempt the reconciliation of the world to the Church, or the Church to the world, neither is it of any use to think of reconciling the corruptions and depraved inclinations that dwell in old Adam-nature, with genuine spirituality.

Might I here, for one moment, invite your attention to some of the failures which have followed such attempts. You go into your closet; you take your Bible; you read portions of the Holy Scriptures; you prostrate yourselves before the throne; you pour out the most earnest breathings that God will make you more like to Christ, and teach you how to live nearer unto Him. It is a delightful occupation, it is a fine practice, you cannot be in a better posture than Daniel's, on your knees and the palms of your hands. But does not nature follow you there? Does not some bargain or matter of business haunt you, and do you not think more about that than of what you read? Do not foul corruptions stir within you, so that you feel more like a demon than a Christian? Do not the cares and anxieties of this wilderness state lead your thoughts to wander from God? If this is not the case with you, all I can say is, that the devil deals with you more kindly than he does with me. Do what I can, I find that he will accompany me. If he can enter my closet by no other way, he will through the keyhole, and the door cannot be opened, but he is sure to squeeze himself in, however small the aperture left. You cannot bid the world or its corruptions be still, even for half-an-hour, whilst you are in fellowship with God. The two are irreconcilable. If you, any of you, boast of the perfection of the flesh, I will put it to the challenge; for I am sure that you never spent half-an-hour in your lives without wandering from God; nor do I believe any man out of heaven, be he whom he may, who tells me that he can. Sure I am that you must want the armour of God. I know that you must go all the way to heaven at the very point of the sword. God's words are so. He bids us put on "the whole armour of God." Then make up your mind to this one thing, that your business in the world is to engage in the warfare. "Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever" (1 John 2:15-17) and there must be war."

- Joseph Irons, sermon entitled, "Perpetual War", preached on October 15, 1848, at Grove Chapel

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good words by William Mason from his devotional for February 23 in A Spiritual Treasury For The Children of God, Volume 2 on Ephesians 5:8:

"Hence we look down upon the world with contempt, upon sin with abhorrence, upon Satan with defiance, upon carnal men with pity, and up to our Lord with love and praise; for “we have an unction from him, and know all things.” (1 John 2:20) His truths are our delight. “His commandments are not grievous!” (1 John 5:3) Here is all comprised in one word, Walk as children of the light. But how shall I know I am a child of light? Strange question! Just as strange as for a person with his eyes open, in midday, to ask, How do I know I can see? But if you do not enjoy the comfort of light, it is because you do not walk as a child of light. There are many such dark walkers. No marvel, they are uncomfortable professors. Paul wept on account of such. See them described: “they mind earthly things.” (Philippians 3:19) They have a tongue for Christ, but the world has their heart. Beware of such: refrain from such. For, “If we say we have fellowship with Christ, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: but if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses from all sin.” (1 John 1:6-7)"

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is (Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?)

16. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do. John 19:38-39

Nicodemus:
    "Rabbi, we have known that from God thou hast come..."

Christ:
    "If any one may not be born from above, he is not able to see..."

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is when the believer really understands what is meant by Sovereign Grace... They come by night... Brother Glen:)

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh...I do too in that passage. I was speaking of Jesus' encounter in John 3.

It was customary to address Jesus as "rabbi", and I don't doubt Nicodemus believed He came from God (as he was aware of Jesus' miracles).

BUT salvation means more than believing Jesus came from God.

19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. James 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you're saying that Nicodemus wasn't a 'secret disciple for fear of the Jews' in Jn 3, but was in Jn 19. I say he was, it's why he came to Him by night. Like a moth attracted to the light. John 3:21

Salvation is not the topic (other than 'entering' in v 5), born of God/born from above/born of the Spirit is the topic.