1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured "The Gospel"

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Thomas Helwys, Jun 12, 2013.

1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

According to the OP you are attempting to define "the gospel" in a manner where there can be ground of general agreement. You have suggested the Apostle's Creed may provide that general ground for agreement.

However, the Apostles creed does not contain the gospel at all. There is no "good news" that Jesus died, was buried and rose again "for" anyone, but only lists a series of facts without any kind of definitive application. It does not say why he died or for whom he died or how it saves or for whom it saves. It presents no conditions, no instructions, no application whatsoever but leaves it a totaly blank check for anyone to fill with their own application from a Roman Catholic to a Baptist. Hence, it is an empty, void and vain gospel, rather than the gospel of Christ. Hence it is "another gospel" that is void of any applicable truth.

Also, if it were written by the Apostles or during their time by their followers there is a strange absence of the very issues attacking the gospel during the apostolic period (1 Cor. 15; Galations 1-5; etc.).

#21 The Biblicist, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2013
  2. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ok, but the filioque seems scripturally supported even if it was not in the original version of the Nicene Creed. Scripturally, can we speak of the Church receiving the Spirit without the Son’s involvement? We cannot. “And behold, I am sending the promise of my Father upon you.” (Luke 24:49). Clearly, the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, sent by the Father, comes through the ministry of Jesus (incarnation, resurrection, ascension).

3. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

What degree or percent of sameness of beliefs would meet your criteria then?

4. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

And maybe at this point I need to clarify what kind of unity I am talking about. I am talking about a spiritual unity, certainly not an outward enforced uniformity or any kind of "superchurch" or ecumenical hodge-podge of nothingness.

5. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

I disagree with you. I think it is an adequate general statement of the Christian faith. It affirms the basics of the Incarnation, life, death, and resurrection of Jesus, and our bodily resurrection. It leaves it to individuals and groups to go further in-depth, and into divisiveness.

The faith and belief of the first Christians was much more simple than what came later. The first "creed" was simply, "Jesus is Lord".

Why not let the Roman Catholics, Baptists, and everyone else, within orthodoxy, "fill in the blanks" as long as they believe the basics?

#25 Thomas Helwys, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2013
  6. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

The Holy Spirit was already present and actively working since Genesis 1:2. Again you are speaking of a special ministry within the covenant of redemption.

7. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I agree with a lot of this - but

I do not believe that the denomination we call the Roman Catholic Church is the one that we are all supposed to belong to. I think even some of the Catholics here may agree with me on that one.

I don't believe in what the Catholic Church calls "communion of the saints" - praying to the dead.

in Christ,

Bob

8. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    He ascended on high and gave gifts to men. The 1Cor 12 list of gifts includes those that are not given in so general a way in the OT as they are in the NT.

However the Holy Spirit worked in the OT as well as new. Notice that Jesus tells Nicodemus (before the cross) that man must be born again by the power of the Holy Spirit. When Nicodemus claims to be totally ignorant of the fact - Jesus reminds him that he is a teacher of scripture in Israel and that as such - he should know better.

2Peter 1:20-21 we are reminded that "holy men of old moved by the Holy Spirit - spoke from God".

in Christ,

Bob

9. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

I agree with everything you said in this post.

When I think of communion of the saints, I think more along the line of what the Bible says about a great cloud of witnesses.

10. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Isn't your OP about common unity in regards to the "gospel"???? There is no gospel in the Apostle's Creed! Can you find anything about how anyone is saved, or what is salvation in this creed? Isn't the gospel the "power of God unto salvation" in your thinking?

Are you suggesting that anyone who simply believes in this list of doctrines is all that is necessary to be born again, a child of God, a Christian?

#30 The Biblicist, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2013
  11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Let me put it this way:
    I was a Catholic for twenty years before I got saved. The gospel is not preached in the RCC. I had the Apostles Creed memorized, but it was simple head knowledge. When I got saved I had to reject much of what the Apostles Creed had to say, for reasons already given.

12. awaken

awaken Active Member

I do not believe in that either!

13. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

I meant to come back before now to say I apologize if I offended you or mischaracterized you as "nit-picking". I realize that did not come across as I intended.

I understand what you are saying. I just believe the Apostles Creed is a good general statement of the Christian faith, if the few misunderstood phrases are taken with their original meaning.

14. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

No....................

15. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Well that is a relief! So how in the world do you expect to find common ground on the Apostle's Creed in regard to "the gospel"???????

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Just one example.
    That the word "catholic" has the meaning of "universal" is only known to those of us who debate such things. It is not widely known. Ask the person on the street the meaning of "Catholic" and they will immediately answer, "The Catholic Church" (i.e., the RCC). Put in context of a prayer and that definition is only strengthened. Right or wrong that is the meaning in the mind of the common person.

17. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

I can generally agree with your summation. I think that some terms are not used or understood today as prior to the existence of the Roman Catholic church.

However, my difficulty is the way you presented it in your OP as possible common ground in regard to the gospel. There is no gospel presented in the Apostles Creed. There is a list of statements to summarize essentials but no gospel.

18. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Yes, I know you are right. For instance, even in the United Methodist worship book, they have to star the word catholic and explain in a footnote that they mean universal.

19. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Okay, I see what you're saying. Then maybe my title should have been something else.