1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured "The Gospel"

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Rebel, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

Yes, but what does a "false gospel" consist of?

• Like Like x 1
  2. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

Believe....it's that simple.The rest of doctrine concerns the walk to heaven.

3. BrotherJoseph

BrotherJoseph Well-Known Member

W-O-R-K-S produces salvation. This is the false gospel separating the gospel of grace from every other religion of the world. "
    Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:" (1 Corinthians 15:1,3-4). This message is simple, but many "religionists" of the world will add conditions to the message. Paul made it clear, there are basically two gospels, one is of this world and is "works", this is every false religion, the other is from heaven above and is by "grace". "And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then it is no more grace: otherwise work is no more work" (Romans 11:6). Those seeking to work their way into heaven are under the curse of the law and give evidence that they are unsaved, this is why Paul declared plainly "Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt." (Romans 4:4) Ask yourself is it works or grace, it can't be both. This is how one can tell the true gospel from a false gospel..

4. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

The Book of James would not entirely agree. Martin Luther wanted to get rid of this book because it did not agree with his theology.

5. BrotherJoseph

Are you saying Paul's epistles and James contradict one another? James does not declare one goes to heaven by good works, but rather good works is an inevitable evidence of someone having salvation and true faith, not the result of salvation. There is a big difference.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

I'm
    I'm saying that James can't be explained away in the manner that many Protestants try to.

7. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

What manner is that? (I have an idea, just curious what you think that manner is)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. BrotherJoseph

Rebel,

I would be interested in your interpretation of these two verses from James, "Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only" (James 2:24) and "What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?" (James 2:14)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

That the only way that works figure in to the equation at all is that they are simply and only evidence of faith. But that is not what James says. If it was, Luther would not have been so incensed by the book.

10. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

My view ends up being neither the Catholic one nor the Protestant one. I believe these verses, and other scriptures, teach that we come to salvation by faith, but that we continue in salvation not merely by our faith in Jesus Christ but by our following Him.

11. NetChaplain

NetChaplain Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good stuff Rebel, and on the most important issue with Soteriology. I like the simple truth of the Gospel of Christ, that man has incurred guilt from the sin nature and only faith in Christ's expiation for sin can redeem one from its condemnation.

Anything added beyond this is "against" Christ's teaching, which teaching would result in being anti-Christian (Mat 12:30).

• Like Like x 1