1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Greek in John 14:2--Mansions? Rooms? Dwelling Places? Homes?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by InTheLight, Jun 30, 2019.

1. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is the following a dwelling place, an abode?

οἰκητήριον

Is the following verse relative to John 14:2

But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building; Heb 9:11

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That Greek word does not occur in Heb. 9:11, but only in 2 Cor. 5:2 and Jude v. 6. The word "tabernacle" in Heb. 9:11 is skene, meaning a temporary dwelling, or a tent.

3. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is the connection of the temporary dwelling / tent to Christ as being come a high priest. A temporary dwelling / tent that is more perfect.

My understanding is, the more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands is his resurrected body. Body incorruptible and eternal.

My understanding of the phrase in 2 Cor 5:5, wrought us for the selfsame thing, implies, the selfsame thing someone has already been given.

That being, a tabernacle, a house not made with hands, which is from heaven. Thus the tie in of Hebrews 9:11 with 2 Cor 5 which Christ went to prepare for us John 14:2

If I am wrong, I am wrong yet it seems to be true. Your thoughts, Thanks

Your thoughts on Jude 6 on angels leaving οἰκητήριον, compared to it's usage in 2 Cor 5 also if you will. Don't know that I have any.

#83 percho, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good questions. :)
    I go along with A. T. Robertson, who wrote, "This greater and more perfect tabernacle is heaven itself (Heb 9:24)" (Word Pictures in the NT, accessed through PowerBible). This fits with the meaning of skene as a temporary dwelling. The heaven that now exists is only temporary, because there will someday be a new heaven and a new earth.

Christ is a high priest in the order of Melchizadek, and so his sacrifice on the cross replaced the old Levitical order of priesthood, and the vail of the old temple was torn in two when Christ was on the cross. The tabernacle of Christ's order is in Heaven.

I assume you mean 2 Cor. 5:2. οἰκητήριον is a permanent dwelling place. I believe the context of 4:16, "inner man," shows that this permanent dwelling place in 5:2 is the perfect resurrection body we will receive for our soul/spirit to dwell in.

The natural dwelling place of angels is Heaven. The fallen angels of this verse left Heaven and are not welcome back, but are imprisoned until the judgement, at which time their permanent dwelling place will be the lake of fire.

The only way I see the two usages of οἰκητήριον to be connected is that they are both talking about a permanent dwelling place for someone.

5. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You men, "provoked me into Love and Good Works".

There is a wonderful study of the root for "mansions", just within it's occurances in in John 14.

They get real sweet Spirited with the inclusion of the preposition and we see the indwelling, "aboding", Holy Spirit, in instances where He is said to have, "taken up Residence" (in my colloquial 'saying'.)

• Like Like x 1