1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Harbinger

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by HAMel, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

Most of us were aware of the given of it being fiction which is what 2 Timothy 4:1-4 is admonishing against, giving heed to these myths and fables brother.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Internet Theologian

For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. Romans 1:16

• Like Like x 1
  3. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...so when I read the book, The Martian Chronicles I was giving heed to myths and fables?

...do you ever read anything other than the Bible? The daily news paper perhaps? A segment in a history book? Ever read an article in a magazine while at the doctor's office?

I never said this Book should replace the Bible. Never said that at all nor indicated such.

Talk about falling on your own sword. Wow....

4. Internet Theologian

I don't have a problem with the book per se, but it is a bit misleading and can mislead. People pick it up and it becomes doctrine for them. If a person sees it in a Christian bookstore they will view it as biblical especially if it takes Scripture and begins to draw some conclusions. People are naìve in that sense.

Here is why I say the above:

The Harbinger, by Jonathan Cahn,1 is about a series of signs or omens which he believes have manifested in America beginning with the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001. The author believes he has discovered an ancient mystery in Isaiah 9:10-11that “explains everything from 9/11 to the collapse of the global economy.”2 Although he uses a fictional narrative as a framework, the book is based on what he believes are undeniable facts from the biblical text, the corresponding history of 8th century B.C. Israel and current events of the last decade in America. As Cahn states at the beginning of the book, “What you are about to read is presented in the form of a story, but what is contained within the story is real.3

People read these reviews and then believe these type of books are biblically based. They are marketed to Christians and are myths and fables based off of the Scriptures. Many eschatologically based books sell lots of copies predicting this or that and are designed for the naìve and for drawing in money. I have a problem with that and I don't view the book or its objective as innocent and harmless. People tend to take these things and run with it. Someone here has already mentioned this being on facebook and all the hullabaloo based on its teaching have caused a stir.

Here is another thing to consider; how many of these types read their Bibles and rush to read truth, sound doctrine and make as much of it as they do myths and fables brother? As a pastor I witness these things, where a person cannot find a common book in their Bible having been saved for decades yet they are all excited about myths such as these.

Do I read anything other than the Bible? Let's say I don't read the Bible enough but I am working on that. I don't view it as a mere task to be accomplished daily though. Of course I do read things other than the Scriptures brother.

I don't believe anyone has accused you of saying to replace the Bible with it have they? Blessings brother!

#24 Internet Theologian, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Sounds like what many on here have done with The Constitution and the talking points of Fox News.:rolleyes: They read these things, and suddenly they become superseding documents to Scripture.

It's a BOOK. I read every such book in comparison to what Scripture says. I've done it with the Qur'an, with The Book of Mormon and several other books. What Scripture says ALWAYS trumps what these other writings say. That doesn't mean we can't learn anything from them.

A different perspective is often helpful in understanding folks who aren't like us. And books have a way of highlighting these things.

I think the book highlighted some things that are taking place now JUST as they did in the past. And a lot of folks don't want to acknowledge it because they are scared about what that may harbinge for this nation's future. And they also , on some level, recognize their own complicity in repeating the mistakes of the past. Having that thrown in your face will turn a lot of people off.

#25 Zaac, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  6. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't have a problem with the book per se, but it is a bit misleading and can mislead. People pick it up and it becomes doctrine for them.

IT..., some people pick up the Koran and end up being mislead as it becomes doctrine for them. There is no way to stop this.

I would think any well grounded believer would accept the book for exactly what it is. How much reading material is offered in the average Christian Book Store that mis-lead and provide false hope? These stores offer all kinds of books and stories most of which are fiction.

At this point however I'm done with this thread. Read the book for what it is or throw it in the heap pile.

7. Internet Theologian

No problem. Concerning the Koran it isn't presented as Christian based truth so that is the caveat.

I also believe Christ pointed out that revelation outside of the Word won't avail anything but the Word will, Luke 16:19-31. I think we are looking at a problem and perhaps some are recognizing it - there is this excitement for novelty, fables, half-truths and it becomes faddish and people advertise this stuff with enthusiasm. Would to God people dug into their Scriptures and shared that same excitement for sound doctrine.

• Like Like x 1
  8. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh I'm sure that those of us who would not recommend this book know that it is fiction. The problem is that a lot of naive people don't. And it doesn't help when church hoping to cash in on this books success have "Bible Studies" on this book. Besides I would hardly call the back cover asking a bunch of rhetorical questions a "Disclaimer." Its obvious that the intended answer to each of the Rhetorical questions is "YES" and that the book is going to explain this "Ancient Mystery"

The text my pastor preached on is very appropriate given this topic and the book back cover.

For I want you to know how great a struggle I have for you and for those at Laodicea and for all who have not seen me face to face,2 that their hearts may be encouraged, being knit together in love, to reach all the riches of full assurance of understanding and the knowledge of God's mystery, which is Christ,3 in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.4 I say this in order that no one may delude you with plausible arguments.5 For though I am absent in body, yet I am with you in spirit, rejoicing to see your good order and the firmness of your faith in Christ.
    Col 2:1-5

The Colossian church had false teacher creeping in that said they had knowledge and understanding of a "mystery"
    .Paul makes it clear in this passage that it is in Christ were all wisdom and knowledge is found, and we must not be deceived even by "plausible arguments"

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well most Christian Book Stores have are Christian in name only as far as I'm concerned since I have yet to walk into one that only sold Sound Doctrinal Books. Now I do have a question, why put this thread in the debate forum if you didn't expect people to debate the book? There is a book forum in the non-debate part of this site.