1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The herdsman pastor

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Deacon, May 3, 2020.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How is the local church surviving during the isolation of the viral quarantine?
    How is the church staff surviving without the input of the weekly collection.
    Budgets surely have been stretched.​
    I can’t help but wonder if one reason some churches are so eager to embrace the return to normal is budgetary.

The idea of herd immunity has been discussed in the media and in many threads here on the BaptistBoard.

Should a pastor embrace the herd immunity position to reinforce his view that the church needs to quickly return to normal congregational meetings?

My view, church congregations are not herds, pastors are not herdsmen.
    We are a flock with a shepherd.

I can’t imagine a pastor taking a position supporting herd immunity, which all but supports the sacrifice of the old, the weak and vulnerable. This is not is acceptable in my mind.

I just can’t find that parable where Jesus sacrifices that one lost lamb to protect the 99.

Rob

#1 Deacon, May 3, 2020
    Last edited: May 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We get a mail out every week and have for years. You can opt to get it via email to save stamps. It gives attendance reports, upcoming events, a devotion from the pastor, the budge report for the week and more.

We are maintaining a steady income despite the circumstances. People are giving through snail mail and nothing has decreased. The pastor, whom I see every Sunday morning as we live stream and I'm there to play the piano was pleasantly surprised.

I was shocked and I can only say shame on me. Shame on me for not trusting God's people to do God's will. Annie Armstrong did not suffer and our regular budget is not suffering ..... thus far.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The church where I attend draws ~80% of its budget from online giving.
    That said, we also don’t pass a basket or plate each week. We just encourage people to give as God directs them.
    This virus situation has not effected our budget at all.

My church has been doing video services and the pastors have stepped up with some innovative ideas that may continue well beyond quarantine.
    They truly are wonderful shepherds of a scattered flock.

Rob

• Like Like x 4
  4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one is forced to attend church. Ever. The elderly do not need to be treated like children where pastors need to make decisions to protect them like keeping churches closed on their behalf. They can make their own decision to attend or not.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not that simple. The more knuckleheads that spread the virus, the harder it is for the elderly to stay away from it. There will be a lot of people who dont return at all or change churches. Listening to my pastor online during this has revealed a lot. He had done q and a for a few of his "sermons". A lot of legalism he had kept hidden spilled out. There is a lot I can tolerate, but legalism I cant stomach. I really cant tolerate it when its based in misinformation. I called him on some of it. He was more annoyed that I knew his information was wrong than sorry he used it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea it is

7. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No its not. You spread this junk recklessly and those who want to avoid it cant. I honestly think we have to open back up, but dont act like individual decisions are in a vacuum. Individual decisions have group consequences.
    I think its kind of doing the Churches good to close a while. Tares are going to break their social club habit and not return. The Churches need cleansed and purged. This may just do it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea it is this lockdown was not helpful and will likely cause more damage in the long run.

9. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My point is use common sense. You do not live in a vacuum. Your actions effect others.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sigh, that had nothing to do with what I originally responded to. People who are immune deficient need to stay home. They dont need pastors to keep churches closed do they dont get sick. They can make that decision themselves. They are not children.

11. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now someone correct if I'm wrong but I hear that online church has more attendance than regular church?... That is strange or is it?... Reminds me of you know who, who has house church... Is it a bad thing?... Good thing?... Maybe both but I WILL serve my God as God allows... But God has given me enough common sense to know, when to go and when to say home... Now I can go to church and fellowship and engage in constructive argumentation or I can do the same here... We do engage in constructive argumentation, don't we?... Brother Glen;)

12. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They cant. My father is immune deficient. He can not stay away from everything. He can stay away from Church. He can stay home most of the time , but he has to go to the Dr and go for labs and tests regularly. The people who congregate and spread the virus go to the same labs and same medical complexes. His Doctor is concerned. The people who contract Covid at Church dont leave it there. They take it out and spread it. Seems like even you could figure that out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just stop. No one is making them interact closely at the doctor.

Look we could also lower the speed limit to 10 miles an hour. It would save lives. Maybe you should call for that as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They interact closely enough his Dr is concerned. As usual, you spoke without first thinking, and you never admit you are wrong

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your just arguing to argue.
    Uh no. I value freedom. I reject the loss of it for any reason. Ever. None of your response has anything to do with seniors being at church.

Again, we can pass a national law making the speed limit 10 mph. Would save many lives.

16. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not saying we should not end the quarantine. I am saying that we do not live in a vacuum. Our actions harm others. We must acknowledge that fact. This is not as simple as "old people stay home and you will be OK."

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are reading my posts to respond not to understand.

• Prayers Prayers x 1
  18. alexander284

alexander284 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The elderly, quite often, make foolish decisions (like children).

That's why scammers have great success deceiving them.

19. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They become overwhelmed with information they do not completely understand.