1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The "him" of John 6:44

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by The Biblicist, Jul 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I find your answer in complete agreement with my posts; although "all" may be taught "of (about) God," it is "everyone" of those who the "Father instructs" believe.

Therefore the verse actually states that out of the "all" who learn "OF" God, there is a select group that learns "FROM" God in which "everyone" of that select group will believe.

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one can paratroop jump out of an airplane, except that they ride in an airplane. Calvinist read this and claim the grammar requires that everyone who rides in an airplane, paratroop jumps out of the airplane.
    Banality.

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one can come to Me, except the Father draws him, says the subset of those who come to Me, come out of the full set of those drawn. It does not say the reverse, everyone that the Father draws comes to Me.

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only those within the subset, those that were drawn and come to Me, will be raised up on the last day.

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who is raised up on the last day, those that come to Me, those Jesus will not cast out, those given to Me, they that are all taught by God, everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to Me.

Eleven pages of misinformation concerning John 6:44-45, trying to rewrite the text to say the opposite of what it clearly says.

6. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Incorrect.

My illustration wasn't employed to address the ability of the one doing the recruiting/drawing, but was to illustrate the various potential intentions of the author. Of course God is able to irresistibly draw someone to come to Christ, that is not a matter of debate. The question is whether or not that is what God chooses to do.

Likewise, the Army Recruiter could pull out a gun and force a guy to go to war, or maybe drug him making him desire to sign up, but that is not what he CHOOSES to do. Instead he chooses to RECRUIT. In the same manner, our contention is that God chooses to draw/invite/appeal men to come through normative means, not irresistibly compel them through inward means.

Again, this is all beyond the scope of the illustrations purpose. I was simply attempting to show how the HIM being drawn and raised up doesn't necessarily imply an irresistible drawing just as the Recruiting and training doesn't imply an irresistible recruiting. You are focusing on points beyond that when that is not the purpose of the illustration.

I addressed the effectual nature of the word 'draw' in a previous post and it has still not been answered...

7. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The above presentation by Skandelon is his best presentation of his illustration and application to John 6:44.

I have been able to get away from this argument for a while and give his illustration a little more consideration.

This illustration is not a proper parallel illustration with John 6:44 and therefore supports a theological position that is contrary to John 6:44 for the following reasons:

1. The source of inability is not parallel. In John 6:44 the inability is found INTERNAL and inherent in “him” (“no man can”) whereas the source of inability in his illustration is not found internal or inherent in the person being recruited but EXTERNAL to the person of the recruit but found in the arbritrary policy imposed upon him by the Army policy.

2. The nature of the inability is not parallel. In John 6:44 the nature of the inability is not merely internal and inherent in “him” but it is a SPIRITUAL inability that prevents him from coming to Christ– “no man can come.” Coming to Christ is a SPIRITUAL act and the words “no man can” demands a universalSPIRITUAL inability to come to Christ except by the power of God – draw him. However, in his illustration the issue of inability is not merely external to the person of the recruit but it is NON-SPIRITUAL.

3. The cause of inability is not parallel. In John 6:44 the stated cause is the very thing his illustration is designed to deny – Total Spiritual Inability. The words “no man can” is a universal negative that demands all men are without spiritual ability to come to Christ APART FROM God’s intervention to “draw” him. However, the whole illustration given by Skandelon is designed to deny this very inherent demand of John 6:44 and his parallel is external to the person of the recruit.

4. The Purpose is not parallel. The purpose of John 6:44 is not to explain contrary options due to being drawn, but to present drawing as the only means to overcome universal inherent inability to come to Christ.

5. John 6:45 reinforces drawing by the Father by scripture and explanation and 100% "taught" come to Christ. This is explanatory of what it means to draw, which is an INTERNAL and SPIRITUAL act by God within the man that results in coming to Christ. 100% taught come and that repudiates your interpretation and illustration of John 6:44

CONCLUSION: Therefore, his illustration fails to be parallel in crucial areas with John 6:44. His illustration is not parallel with the source, nature or cause of the inability to come to Christ. Indeed, his illustration is designed to deny what John 6:44 demands – universal spiritual inability.

8. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

The first clause in verse verse 45 is the quotation of Scripture. The second clause is the explanation of that Scripture quotation.

However, your interpretation contrasts them instead of the second clause being explanatory of the first clause. Do you understand what I am saying?
    You are treating them as two different options when the latter is merely explaining the former rather than a contrast or another option.

The Scriptural assertion is "ALL' are Taught of God. The explanation is shows this "taught of God" involves "heard" and "learned" by "every man" being taught of God. For example, no one can say they have been taught by anyone if they neither "heard" or "learned" from that person. No one can claim they are taught if they never "heard" or "learned" anything. So the latter clause is simply explanatory of the first clause.

Moreover, the last part of second clause demands that verse 44 that "him" drawn is "him" raised as all drawn/taught do in fact come to Christ.

9. Skandelon

Biblicist,

We are repeating a lot of our points on the two on going threads, so just for your info I'm limiting my comments to the other thread for the sake of time and clarity...thanks.

10. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

I would be finding a back door too if I were in your shoes:praying:

11. Skandelon

Yeah, you got me. Your debate skills are overwhelming. :rolleyes:

Why would I be seeking to leave a debate with someone who clearly hasn't even come to a point in their study that they understand their opponents perspective well enough to actually engage it?

12. Skandelon

We really shouldn't even be discussing this topic in this forum as it really needs to be in the CAL/ARM area, but especially since we are having the same discussion on two separate threads...let's just leave it on the one thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.