1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The History Of Lent

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Adonia, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I disagree. A I think that a fundamentalist outlook of the Scriptures dictates that for something to happen it must be expressly authorized, is that not so? So where is the Sunday school authorization? Perhaps you folks should have religious instruction for the little ones on another day.

We Catholics on the other hand take the Lord's day seriously, we worship and that's it, no other religious instruction happens. In the case of parochial schools, religious education happens daily, with the public school attending Catholic kids coming sometime during the week for their CCD classes.

#21 Adonia, Mar 11, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  2. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I agree with you. Or perhaps another day at the church, but not on the day set aside for worship. Seems some fudging of the Scriptures is going on here.

3. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    A question I have along this line is, does prayer happen at these Sunday school classes? If so, it is a fine line that is being walked here as any type of prayer is indeed a form of worship.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sunday school is not worship.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

5. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Huh?

puritans.net/questionsandanswers.htm

in Defending the Reformed Faith:

http://www.puritans.net/curriculum/defend.pdf

"If it is argued that it is not worship, then what is it? The Westminster Standards rightly suggest that on the Lord’s Day our time should be taken up by worship, rest, and works of mercy and necessity. Now if Sunday School is not worship, then is it really plausible to call it a work of mercy or necessity? Besides its time, its location at church also suggests that it should be considered an exercise of worship."

Capitol Hill Baptist Church's Praise Factory Sunday School program's purpose:

praisefactory.org/index.php/about-us/whythepraisefactory

"the purpose behind it is derived from Psalm 100:
    Psalm 100
    'Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth.
    Worship the LORD with gladness;
    Come before Him with joyful songs.'
    It is my hope and prayer that this curriculum might help children...worship Him
    Soli Deo Gloria!
    Constance Dever
    Washington, DC"

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow, you can't even see your pharisaical double standards. Unbelievable.

7. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will not respond in kind. Adieu.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

8. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, prayer happens in SS. Yes there is call to repentance in SS. @Reformed has his own definition of worship that is not found in Scripture.

9. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BOTH, actually.

10. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lent is pagan.

It doesn't coincide with Biblical events.
    Jesus didn't have fasting before the Crucifixion but participated in the feast with Lazarus family ( John 12:1-2). If it meant the fasting right after His Baptism, it should be around early October since His ministry started after the inauguration of emperor Tiberius (Luke 3).

Sometimes, Easter is earlier than the Passover as we had in 2008 when we had Easter on March 23 and Passover on April 18, which meant that Jesus was resurrected first, then He was crucified later.
    Such funny festival schedule happened because Easter was not set up in order to represent the Resurrection of Jesus Christ and Biblical 7 Feasts which represent Jesus Christ every time, but Easter was commemorated after the Lent and Easter is related to the first full moon after spring equinox, for the Babylonian goddess Easter, Ishtar, whose son Tammuz was killed in hunting.
    So, the Easter is the Resurrection Day of Tammuz, son of Easter. Until that time the pagan believers commemorated fasting ( partial or friday only) for 40 days, which was called Lent.

This can be found in Ezekiel 8:
    13 He said also unto me, Turn thee yet again, and thou shalt see greater abominations that they do.
    14 Then he brought me to the door of the gate of the Lord's house which was toward the north; and, behold, there sat women weeping for Tammuz.
    15 Then said he unto me, Hast thou seen this, O son of man? turn thee yet again, and thou shalt see greater abominations than these.
    16 And he brought me into the inner court of the Lord's house, and, behold, at the door of the temple of the Lord, between the porch and the altar, were about five and twenty men, with their backs toward the temple of the Lord, and their faces toward the east; and they worshipped the sun toward the east.
    17 Then he said unto me, Hast thou seen this, O son of man? Is it a light thing to the house of Judah that they commit the abominations which they commit here? for they have filled the land with violence, and have returned to provoke me to anger: and, lo, they put the branch to their nose.

God Bless

Eliyahu

#30 Eliyahu, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  11. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Passover begins Friday, Apr. 19 this year. Thus, the anniversary of Jesus' resurrection will be Monday, Apr. 22. (Which, BTW, is my birthday.)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you check the history of the Passover and Easter, you will find that the gap between Passover and Easter is often 8-9 days or 1-2 days, which proves that Easter has nothing to do with Passover or the Resurrection of Jesus Christ, but with the Resurrection of Tammuz and his mother Ishtar ( Easter)

Eliyahu

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Fasting, praying, and giving alms is part of the Christian way. Those things are listed in my Bible, aren't they in yours?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The dates are irrelevant, it is what is in one's mind that counts. Yes, the pagan holidays were co-opted, which helped show the pagans that our God was more powerful than their gods.

15. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pagan believers are pursuing the salvation by works and they try to be more merciful than God is.
    God never taught me to do good by celebrating the pagan gods and idols.

Eliyahu

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe the God may be one of many gods you serve.
    God hated and punished the man-made festivals:

Exodus 32:

4 And he received them at their hand, and fashioned it with a graving tool, after he had made it a molten calf: and they said, These be thy gods, O Israel, which brought thee up out of the land of Egypt.

5 And when Aaron saw it, he built an altar before it; and Aaron made proclamation, and said,
    To morrow is a feast to the Lord.

Do you have this chapter in your bible?

Eliyahu

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Correct

18. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know any Christians that associate Lent with the weeping and sorrow for Tammuz.

but I'm sure that it was introduced with that in mind by the tares way back in the day.

Personally I believe it is harmless now but unnecessary and of little value (but I guess that's up to you).

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes the parents as the guardians are responsible until the kids are old enough to understand

20. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hear you, I (and my cousins) was/were sent to mass, etc... but our guardians did not go with us.