1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The History Of Lent

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Adonia, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    1 Samuel 7:6 When they had assembled at Mizpah, they drew water and poured it out before the LORD. On that day they fasted and there they confessed, “We have sinned against the LORD.” Now Samuel was serving as leader of Israel at Mizpah.

Acts 14:23 Paul and Barnabas also appointed elders in every church. With prayer and fasting, they turned the elders over to the care of the Lord, in whom they had put their trust.

15. Psalm 35:13-14 Yet when they were ill, I put on sackcloth and humbled myself with fasting. When my prayers returned to me unanswered, I went about mourning as though for my friend or brother. I bowed my head in grief as though weeping for my mother.

There's three. Lent is keeping within the spirit of the Scriptures as taught by the Christian Church for a long time now. There is nothing wrong with having this period we call Lent as a time for prayer, fasting, and almsgiving coming as it does before the greatest gift ever given to man, the sacrifice of Jesus Christ.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While I don't fault anyone for observing lent, I don't observe it, & look at it, along with "Maundy Thursday" & "Ash Wednesday" as man-made observances I'm not onligated to follow. Since they're not sinful, I follow Paul's writings about such occasions observed by some, but not by all, in Colossians 2.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm sorry but I don't see anything in that passage that mentions Lent in a critical manner. What is your point in posting that?

Likewise I've already said I consider sola Scriptura to be a 16th century invention so you're asking me the wrong question by asking me to "prove" something from Scripture: as far as I'm concerned it's what the Lord has laid on the hearts of Christians to do since the start of the Church so that's good enough for me!

• Like Like x 1