1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Holy Spirit Is Yahweh

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by SavedByGrace, Dec 8, 2021.

1. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Holy Spirit Is Yahweh

There are some who teach the blasphemy, that the Holy Spirit is a created being, as did the heretic Origen (AD 185-253), who said,

“the Holy Spirit is more honourable than all others and ranks above all other things made by the Father through Jesus Christ” (Dr R Franks, The Doctrine of the Trinity, p. 94)

Present day cults like the Jehovah’s Witnesses, and others who claim to be Bible-believing “christians”, also believe in this hell-damning heresy.

The Holy Bible, which is the ONLY Inspired, Infallible, and Perfect Word of Almighty God, to the human race, is very clear on Its Teachings on the Holy Spirit, the He, like the Father and Jesus Christ, is also Yahweh, uncreated, eternal and self-existing.

The Name of God, יהוה, is best defined in the Hebrew lexicon by F Brown, S R Driver and C A Briggs, we read of "Yahweh, the proper name of the God of Israel...the one bringing into being, life-giver, giver of existence, creator, he who brings to pass...he who causes...the one who is: i.e. the absolute and unchangeable one, the existing, ever-living" (pages 217-218)

2 Samuel 23:2,

“The Spirit of the LORD spoke by me, And His word was on my tongue”.

Here we have the Hebrew “דִּבֶּר־בִּי”, “Speaks by me”, which is in the masculine, singular. Also, “וּמִלָּתוֹ”, “His word”, is masculine singular, both referring to “רוּח”, “the Spirit”. The subject here is “רוּח”, Who spoke the very Words through David, as though the Spirit Himself was the Speaker. The words in verse 3, also are of the Holy Spirit, “The God of Israel said, The Rock of Israel spoke to me: ‘He who rules over men must be just, Ruling in the fear of God”. In this passage, we have the “Personality” and Deity of the Holy Spirit, where He is called Yahweh and Elohim.

Isaiah 63:11-14,

“But they rebelled, and grieved His Holy Spirit: therefore He was turned to be their enemy, and Himself fought against them. Then He remembered the days of old, Moses and His people, saying , Where is he that brought them up out of the sea with the shepherds of his flock? where is He that put His Holy Spirit in the midst of them? that caused His glorious arm to go at the right hand of Moses? that divided the waters before them, to make Himself an everlasting Name? that led them through the depths, as a horse in the wilderness, so that they stumbled not? As the cattle that go down into the valley, the Spirit of Yahweh caused them to rest; so didst thou lead thy people, to make Thyself a Glorious Name.”

The words “caused them to rest”, in the Hebrew is, “תְּנִיחֶנּוּ”, which is the feminine, singular, and refers to, “רוּחַ” (the Spirit), literally, “she gave them rest”, which is a grammatical agreement of gender, and nothing to do with the Holy Spirit being a “female”.

Here we have God the Holy Spirit as the One Who led the Children of Israel out of Egypt, and in the wilderness for the 40 years.

The Children of Israel “rebelled and grieved” the Holy Spirit. Then the Holy Spirit is the One Who leads them, and parts the Red Sea for them to cross. It is the Holy Spirit Who also led them to enter their rest in the Promised Land. All of which was done by God the Father, and God the Son. How can anyone teach that the Holy Spirit is “impersonal”? The passage in Isaiah 63 shows beyond any doubt, that the Holy Spirit is Almighty God.

Job 33:4

“The Spirit of God has made me, and the breath of the Almighty gives me life.”

In the Hebrew we have “עָשָׂ֑תְנִי”, which is literally, “she has made me”. Not because the Holy Spirit is “female”, but, for grammatical agreement of gender, with, “רוּח” (Spirit), which is also feminine. It makes it clear, that here reference is not to “God”, but rather to “the Spirit”, Who is the Creator.

“made”, from the Hebrew verb, “עֲשׂוֹת”, which is used in Genesis 1

“in the beginning God created (בָּרָא) the heavens and the earth…God made (עֲשׂוֹת) the expanse” (Genesis 1:1, 7)

Note in this verse from Job, that “רוּח” (Spirit) is distinct from “נשׁמה” (breath), which is seen in Genesis 2:7, “And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath (נשׁמה) of life; and man became a living soul”. Job 33:4, is a clear reference to Genesis 2:7, which shows that the Holy Spirit Himself is “the LORD God”.

“The Divine Spirit is that which formed me, and the breath of the Almighty that which teaches me.” (Lancelot Brenton, The Septuagint in Greek and English)

In Isaiah 51:13, we read, “And forget Yahweh your Maker, that has stretched forth the heavens, and laid the foundations of the earth”. Here “Maker”, in the Hebrew is, “עֹשֶׂ֗ךָ”, which is masculine singular. However, in 54:5, we read, “For your Maker is your husband; Yahweh of hosts is His Name”. Here, “Maker” is the Hebrew, “עֹשַׂיִךְ”, which is masculine, plural, “Makers”! And, in Ecclesiastes 12:1, where it reads, “Remember now your Creator in the days of your youth”, here also the Hebrew, “אֶת־בּוֹרְאֶיךָ”, is masculine, plural, literally, “your Creators”. Whereas, in Isaiah 40:28, and 43:15, we have, “בּרא”, which is singular. Clearly, the use of the plural means more than One Person. It is not used in the sense of “majesties”, as if the singular does not speak of the “Majesty” of the Great God of the Bible!

2 Corinthians 3:17-18

“ὁ δὲ κύριος τὸ πνεῦμα ἐστιν οὗ δὲ τὸ πνεῦμα κυρίου ἐλευθερία… καθαπερ απο κυριου πνευματος”, “However the Spirit is the Lord; and where the Spirit of the Lord, there liberty…even as from the Lord Spirit”

The use of the Greek article, “τὸ πνεῦμα”, is here used by retrospective reference, to refer “πνεῦμα”, back to what is said in verses 3-8. “ὁ δὲ κύριος τὸ πνεῦμα ἐστιν”, is to be understood of the Holy Spirit, and not Jesus Christ, and be translated as “The Spirit is the Lord”.

Interesting how verse 18 is translated in the New Testaments of the heretics.

“as by the Lord, the Spirit” (George Noyes, New Testament, The American Unitarian Society)

“as from the Lord, the Spirit” (B Wilson, Emphatic Diaglott, JW’s Publication)

“exactly as done by Jehovah [the] Spirit” (Kingdom Interlinear NT, JW’s Publication)

“exactly as it is done by Jehovah the Spirit” (New World Translation, 2013, JW’s Publication)

Here the Holy Spirit is called “The Lord”, which is the same as Yahweh.

Acts 5:3, 4, 9

“But Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back for yourself part of the proceeds of the land? While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? And after it was sold, was it not at your disposal? Why is it that you have contrived this deed in your heart? You have not lied to man but to God…But Peter said to her, “How is it that you have agreed together to test the Spirit of the Lord?…”

The Apostle Peter says to Anania, that he lied to “The Holy Spirit (το πνευμα το αγιον)”. And then says, in doing so, he actually lied “to the God (τω θεω). And then tells his wife, Sapphira, that they had “tested the Spirit of the Lord”, by their actions.

Here we have the Deity of the Holy Spirit, where He is called “God”, and “the Spirit of the Lord”. Notice the definite article in the Greek, “τω”, with “the God”, where it cannot be translated as “god”.

Clear Biblical Teaching that the Holy Spirit is Almighty God, Yahweh!

• Like Like x 2
  2. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I cannot argue against the "Holy Spirit" being GOD (as I am a Trinitarian and believer in the points of the Nicene Creed), however, I was wondering do you have scripture to support a lesser view of the Holy Spirit being "hell-damning"?

[Romans 10:8-13 NKJV]
    8 But what does it say? "The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart" (that is, the word of faith which we preach): 9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. 11 For the Scripture says, "Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame." 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him. 13 For "whoever calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved."​

Why could one not obey the above without any theological position on the Holy Spirit or a flawed theological position on the Holy Spirit? Jesus Christ seems to be the 'shibboleth' of true salvation.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't see what Romans 10:8-13 has go to do with the Holy Spirit being Yahweh?

Are you saying that belief in a created Holy Spirit, which would make the Holy Bible's Teaching on Him, false, is acceptable?

I believe that the Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit also includes the belief that the Holy Spirit is "created", as this would make the Godhead of on Person Who is not eternal

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Keen and correct observation! We all see as through a class darkly, we all hold erroneous views concerning God and His reality.
    The idea that we must hold to a set of views is questionable. Clearly we must believe in God and His Christ. We must believe God raised Jesus from the dead. We must recognize our need for our Savior, that our unholiness separates us from God and we cannot think or do anything to become holy, because all our works of righteousness are filthy rags to God.

Bottom line, it is God alone who either credits our filthy rag faith as righteousness or not. So if we love God but hold some mistaken views, God could still choose to save us, warts and all...

• Like Like x 1
  5. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 4:24. And Romans 8:9. God the Father, the Son of God and the Holy Spirit are one and the same in essence or substance being Yahweh.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    there is not a single person, who denies that the God of the Holy Bible, is THREE distinct PERSONS, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, that can ever go to heaven! This would be a belief in a FALSE God, which cannot save anyone.

No one is suggesting that before a person is saved, that they must fully understand the Holy Trinity. But, after they have been, and have been taught from the Bible, that God is Three in One, and then reject this Truth, then they were probably never saved!

7. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    neither of these verses says, "God the Father, the Son of God and the Holy Spirit are one and the same in essence or substance"!

8. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So does that make it not to be true?

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Repeating your opinion of what God alone credits to save individuals does not make it so. I suspect many of the OT Saints, when they "gained approval by faith" did not believe in the Trinity. But they did love God! From my side of the street, many Calvinists hold mistaken beliefs about God, but that in no way suggests they are "hell bound." Some of the most committed Christians I know are Calvinist, and I am confident their salvation is secure now and forever.

10. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    that is not the point. if you quote from the Bible to show shomething, then what you quote must be taught in the verses or passage that you refer to. what you said, and the Bible references that you gave, are not in agreement, so moot!

11. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    are you saying, that for a person to believe in a created Holy Spirit, can be saved?

12. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nothing. It has everything to do with the rest of my post.

QUESTION: "Do you have scripture to support a lesser view of the Holy Spirit being "hell-damning"?
    [Romans 10:8-13]
    QUESTION: "Why could one not obey the above without any theological position on the Holy Spirit or a flawed theological position on the Holy Spirit?"

STATEMENT: "Jesus Christ seems to be the 'shibboleth' of true salvation."

No.

OK, so you have no scriptural basis for declaring it a "hell-damning heresy", just your opinion on "blasphemy of the Holy Spirit".
    Thank you for answering my only question.
    I was just curious about that one small point.

I agree with the Holy Spirit as GOD:

And the catholic faith is this: that we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity; neither confounding the Persons, nor dividing the Substance. For there is one Person of the Father; another of the Son; and another of the Holy Ghost. But the Godhead of the Father, of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, is all one; the Glory equal, the Majesty coeternal.
    - Athanasian Creed

I disagree that salvation includes a theology test. (it's a monergism thing)

• Winner Winner x 2
  13. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So logical arguments are not allowed.

• Like Like x 1
  14. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    are you saying here, that you get your theology on the Trinity from the Nicene Creed? This "creed", as some of the others, teach heresy on the Person of Jesus Christ.

15. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    So a person who is saved, can believe that the Holy Spirit is a created being, like us, and still get to heaven? This in itself is a false view of the God of the Holy Bible, Who is Three Persons, and to deny that the Holy Spirit is Almighty God, is to contradict the Bible, and the teachings of Jesus Christ!

16. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    your argument is not "logical"!.

tell me this, can you take the two verses to quoted to a Jehovah's Witness, and show, "God the Father, the Son of God and the Holy Spirit are one and the same in essence or substance being Yahweh."?

17. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am saying God chooses who He will save, based on Him crediting or not the person's faith in God and His Christ. Scripture says everyone believing in(to) Him (Christ) will not perish but have everlasting life. And we know we must believe in the One who sent Christ to be saved. But I have not found where scripture tells us we must have perfect understanding. (Romans 11:33)

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    The OP is not about salvation in any form. What it is, is a study on the Person of the Holy Spirit from the Bible, showing that He is Almighty God. As the True God of the Holy Bible is One, but in Three distinct Persons, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, Who are equally YHWH, any other belief in God, is false, and cannot save anyone.

No one who believes that Jesus Christ or the Holy Spirit are created beings, as did Origen, and the JW's, and many others, can be saved, nor get to heaven, as their "god" is FALSE!

This is the Teaching of the whole Bible, from Genesis to Revelation

19. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A few parallel verses showing that the Holy Spirit is indeed Yahweh.
    Compare
    Acts of the Apostles 28:25 with Luke 1:68-70.
    2 Peter 1:21 with 2 Timothy 3:16.
    John 3:6 with John 5:4.
    Romans 15:19 with Psalms 136:1-4.
    John 14:26 with Isaiah 51:12.
    Acts of the Apostles 9:31 with 2 Corinthians 1:3-4.
    Acts of the Apostles 5:3 with Acts of the Apostles 5:4.
    Acts of the Apostles 5:9 with Matthew 4:7.
    1 Corinthians 6:19 & 1 Corinthians 3:16 with 2 Corinthians 6:16.

[Taken from The Trinity by E.H. Bickersteth (1812-1906]

• Like Like x 1
  20. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    is there a Bible verse that says, if someone believes that the Father is not God, they can can get to heaven? Can such a person ever be saved?