1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The ideal local church, what is it?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by 1689Dave, May 8, 2019.

Tags:
  1. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    But, tongues came only through an apostle's hands or the two outpourings. So it cannot be as you say.

2. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    But Paul said the tongues speaker edified themselves and understanding what is said is what edifies. This means nobody speaks in biblical tongues today because nobody knows what they are saying. They could be cussing God out at an emotional level and not know it. Voodoo practitioners speak in tongues the same way. Speaking in Tongues: Glossalalia and Stress Reduction

3. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some specific cases given in the NT. But that does not negate what the word of God instructed on the matter, ". . . to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: [ But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as He will. . . ."

Now I hold that has since ceased (1 Corinthians 13:8-10).

4. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    But the Spirit worked through the apostles only or through the two outpourings.

“And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles’ hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,” (Acts 8:18)

“For I long to see you, that I may impart unto you some spiritual gift, to the end you may be established;” (Romans 1:11)

“Wherefore I put thee in remembrance that thou stir up the gift of God, which is in thee by the putting on of my hands.” (2 Timothy 1:6)

5. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does not change the teachngs in 1 Corinthians 12. 1 Corinthians 13:8-12. 1 Corinthians 1:14.

6. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is hard pressed to limit the languages to two occasions when Paul states he has greater ability in the matter then any one.

There are those who are gifted in languages. Tyndale, Wyclif, and others who were and are fluent in multiple tongues. Even in this day, there are some who struggle to just scrap a pass, and a few who thrive. Though now such is developed under teachers, but the gift is first endowed by God who gives all good gifts.

Such is as all matters, in which God endows ability, math, music, mechanical, teaching, preaching, ...

Who laid hands upon the believers both at Pentecost and in the presence of Gentiles? Not the apostles, but the work of the Holy Spirit.

Strictly speaking it was the laying on of hands in which the Holy Spirit was dispensed, not the ability to speak in languages.

Is the Holy Spirit given by the laying on of hands or at the pleasure of the God of all creation?

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Were does the word of God limit 1 Corinthians 12 the giving of gifts of the Spirit to the Apostle's hands? It does not. You on the other hand are limiting the Spirit of God who decides, how are you not? The fact gifts of the Spirit and even salvation, that is, the receiving of the Spirit, has been given with the Apostles hands, now where does this limit either to the Apostle's hands?

9. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    If Paul wanted to come to Rome to impart spiritual gifts, why didn't the Romans already have them through prayer?

10. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again it is, ". . . Spirit, dividing to every man severally as He will. . . ." -- 1 Corinthians 12:11.

11. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    If independently of the apostle's, why Paul's trip to Rome to impart spiritual gifts????

12. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I recall, there are three times Paul mentions a desire to go to Rome. The desire was to strengthen and encourage them.

He mentions that there was no more opportunity in the area he had been in and he was leaving, going to Jerusalem, and then on to Rome.

He did not mention gift, but gifts. What gifts are not specified and it could very well be the impartation was any instruction in righteousness Paul might add. As it was, he did go, and did leave, and in between he left a stronger assembly, because he daily met folks.

Paul (after his release) traveled again on a fourth journey (but little is known of length or where - maybe to what is now England) and was again arrested. 2 Timothy shows the attitude and affairs of Paul days before he was beheaded.

13. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    “For I long to see you, that I may impart unto you some spiritual gift, to the end you may be established;” (Romans 1:11) Why so, if prayer would do the job?

14. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because there was no NT, the church relied upon instructions from the leadership. Not just apostles and disciples but deacons, evangelists (such as Apollos), missionaries (such as John Mark) ...

Paul, wanted “in on the action,” more likely because he hadn’t started the assembly. And he considered he could do good helping to “root and ground” (an agricultural and construction term) the assembly, which he did as many of even Caesar's “household” were reached and taught.

Specifically about prayer, perhaps this was an area of needed instruction. He certainly had to tell other churches how to arrange their affairs and actions. How much more in the Roman seat of highest idol worship and debauchery.

Besides, does prayer do the job, in this modern time?

Or is the first impulse typically self reliance, self protection, self preservation.

No doubt some of the instruction by Paul to this living relatively peaceful assembly was, “Learn to pray, rely upon God, experience fellowship with Him. For there is coming a time of great persecution in which most will be slain by torture and violence.”

Just as here in the relative peace of the US, there is coming a time of great violence to the local believers. Not in isolation as it happens, but focus concentrated government sanctioned violence. Wise ministers of the gospel will warn, build the flock, teach them all things - even how to pray, and prepare their hearts and minds to turn to God rather than being afraid.

I would imagine Paul had much to teach. How and what to pray being part of that, too.

15. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is a first hand first century account of how God worked among believers who had no formal NT.

It is offered solely for education, not for emulation. Some of it we in our enlightened minds would consider foolish even perhaps not according to the Bible.

Yet, one must remember the OT was the Word from which the early assemblies drew, there was no NT. The experiences very well fit the OT work of God.

https://danutm.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/st-perpetuas-diary.pdf

16. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    It still says that Paul needed to visit them personally in order for them to have the spiritual gifts. Prayer obviously would not provide that.

17. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it says he desired to impart some spiritual gift. When he got their he would discern the need and give instruction. God gave about three years before Paul could leave to spread the gospel further west into Europe. History thinks he made what is now Spain, France, England / Ireland when he was arrested and returned to Rome.

Without the Holy Spirit their is no true faith. The Rome assembly already had true faith or Paul would not have written he desired to come to impart “some” gift of the Holy Spirit, He would more certainly said that he would impart the Holy Spirit.

18. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just take it for what it says.

19. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What? Paul’s statement?

Of course I have. Taking it with the fullness and limits in comparison to all his teaching we are given to know.

That you might disagree does not warrant me to agree to any limit of the ability as a gift of God for some to excel in that skill even in this day.

The skill is the gift, how it is used (just as Paul instructed one or two prophesy (preach the truths) at a gathering, there is a learning process. A limit to how the gift is used. I don’t preach in a language the assembled do not know, but remain silent unless there is an interpreter.

If God granted me the ability to be multi lingual, I wouldn’t need the interpreter. That I may have the ability to be multi lingual is the gift, not the speaking. The development of the gift may change, but the gift remains.

Perhaps you assume that nothing supernatural occurs as it did at Both the Jewish and Gentile anointing that you find satisfactory for limiting.

The Corinthians had no such record of an anointing, yet clearly had such gift, or Paul wouldn’t have even brought up the subject. He spent the balance of the chapter prioritizing.

And he stated that hope, faith, Love will remain, and do remain even in that final dwelling place. But when Christ has returned for the millennial reign (which you don’t think will take place despite OT Prophecy shown valid in the Revelation) there is no need of such as prophecy (preaching salvation and reconciliation) there is no need of healings, no need os language skills, and we will know as He knows.

Even in this day we do not see clearly all the Word declares, but must discern passages, resolve mysteries, seek wisdom and teaching of the Holy Spirit.

But not during and after the millennial reign.

A-millennial Baptist scorched the thinking gifts of God such as is in this thread ceased. Because their eschatology demanded it.

Yet, the actual reading renders a far different view.

I take Paul’s view over the demands of eschatology conformity.

20. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are not even close to being on the same page. Let's save band width and give it a rest.