1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Irrefutable Sabbath Facts

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by The Biblicist, Jul 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

3 Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the LORD in all your dwellings.

7 In the first day ye shall have an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein.
    8 But ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD seven days: in the seventh day is an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein.

21 And ye shall proclaim on the selfsame day, that it may be an holy convocation unto you: ye shall do no servile work therein: it shall be a statute for ever in all your dwellings throughout your generations.

24 Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, In the seventh month, in the first day of the month, shall ye have a sabbath, a memorial of blowing of trumpets, an holy convocation....30 And whatsoever soul it be that doeth any work in that same day, the same soul will I destroy from among his people.
    31 Ye shall do no manner of work: it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations in all your dwellings.
    32 It shall be unto you a sabbath of rest, and ye shall afflict your souls: in the ninth day of the month at even, from even unto even, shall ye celebrate your sabbath.

35 On the first day shall be an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein.
    36 Seven days ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD: on the eighth day shall be an holy convocation unto you; and ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD: it is a solemn assembly; and ye shall do no servile work therein

39 Also in the fifteenth day of the seventh month, when ye have gathered in the fruit of the land, ye shall keep a feast unto the LORD seven days: on the first day shall be a sabbath, and on the eighth day shall be a sabbath.

4 But in the seventh year shall be a sabbath of rest unto the land, a sabbath for the LORD: thou shalt neither sow thy field, nor prune thy vineyard.
    5 That which groweth of its own accord of thy harvest thou shalt not reap, neither gather the grapes of thy vine undressed: for it is a year of rest unto the land.

In Leviticus chapter 23 the words "it is an holy convoction" is synonmous with "it is a Sabbath" as both are kept in the very same manner - no work shall be done in that day.

The fact is that the SABBATH LAW which prohibits work done in that day is applied by God to many different days as well as different years.

2. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thanks. Your post confirms every word I said against you is correct and true. You are a VERY, DESPERATE, poor man. My sympathies.

3. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    <<... our advocates agree ...>>
    <<... all our advocates stand united ...>>

At last the truth from the pen of one The Biblicist himself.

I have told you before, get another name for yourself; you are not a Biblicists's alie!

PS
    One may say an 'alie' is one's eye-ball.

4. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

I presnt the evidence and you simply present empty accusations! Case Closed

5. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Again, you simply make empty accusations! The Biblical evidence repudiates your position entirely. The Sabbath law is applied to various days and other periods of time - this is undeniable - and it completely repudiates your and Bob's dogmaticism that the Sabbath Law is restricted to ONE APPLICATION only.

6. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Please do me a personal favour, dear Biblicist, Only quote for me where you find the Sabbath Law // Fourth Commandment 'applied' to another day than "the day The Seventh Day Sabbath of the LORD GOD"?
    In other words, where you find the Sabbath Law // Fourth Commandment 'applied' to another day than "the Rest-Day of the LORD GOD, The Seventh Day"?

P-l-e-a-s-e??

7. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Please stop living in fantasy land! The Sabbath law is what is applied to the seventh day as there are other Sabbath days and they are explicitly identified in Leviticus 23. The Sabbath law is "REST" from all works and that is the law applied to the Seventh day sabbath EQUALLY as to the other Sabbath days in Leviticus 23.

8. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hint - the 7th day is made a holy day in Gen 2:3 and there is no "Sabbath law" preceding it.

There is no text in all of scripture saying "keep one day in seven - that is the Sabbath Law".

And we all know it. And those who do not know it - should go find it if they imagine it exists.

in Christ,

Bob

9. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Hint: Next time read what I actually said instead of building a straw man only to burn it.

I made a distinction between the Sabbath day and the Sabbath law. The Sabbath law positively stated "and God did rest from all". The Sabbath law is negatively stated or as a prohibition "ye shall do no servile work therein."

Leviticus 23 not only applies the term "Sabbath" to other days, but also the sabbath prohibition from doing servile work to other days and periods of time.

Hence, again, God does not restrict the term "Sabbath" or the Sabbath law in its positive or negative form to merely the seventh day. Therefore, again there is nothing wrong with the seventh day "of the week" Sabbath but there is something wrong with demanding either the Sabbath designation or Sabbath law must be restricted to the seventh day "of the week."

Bob, you have seen my new thread on Psalm 118:20-25. That thread is one more irrefutable proof that the Sabbath is mutable in regard to application.

10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Strange that neither jesus nor ANY of His Apostles placed the Sabbath as israel observed it on the church of the new covenant, isn't it?

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    you "quoting you" again - because that is the only place to make your case.

By contrast the actual Bible says that the same context for Sabbath in Is 66:23 will be kept even in the "New Earth" - from Sabbath to Sabbath "shall all mankind come before Me to worship".

Thus even the Jer 31:31-33 "New Covenant" places the "law of God" on the mind and heart -- yes even in the Heb 8 "New Testament".

No change.

in Christ,

Bob

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You tried to "invent a text" that said "remember any day in 7 that you wish" or possibly "remember a 7th day of your own choosing" so you could crown it as the "Sabbath law" that is then applied to Gen 2:3 and Ex 20:11 as an instance of that law. But instead of that Gen 2:3 selects "THE Seventh day" and your own Baptist Confession of Faith admits that this is the last day Of the WEEK that is the "Same day kept from creation to the resurrection".

But you found not one such text.

It applies the "term Sabbath" but does not apply the 4th commandment to those other days - because they are not at all related to the 7 day cycle of creation week.

Furthermore - Lev 23 is a case of GOD selecting annual (that would be once a year - not once a week) Sabbaths - not man. Not custom. Not tradition. And NOT as a replacement for any other Sabbath.

impossible to miss this "detail".

in Christ,

Bob

13. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

It appears to me that your trying to make the point in 1 thru 6 that the saturday Sabbath was not the only sabbaths that Jesus had made. If that's the case your correct but whats your point?

14. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Hey Biblicist
    Do you believe that Jesus is the son of God? All this speculation above points to you believing that Jesus goofed and kept the wrong day as the Sabbath. Believe me, He got it right. He did not goof as you implied.

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Your inference that Biblicist does not believe that Christ is the Son of God is unwarranted.
    The Sabbath is Saturday, the seventh day of the week.
    Jesus arose on the first day of the week, that being Sunday.
    The sabbath, according to Exodus 31, is a sign of the covenant between Jehovah and the Israelites and their generations forever.
    There is not Scripture anywhere that commands the Gentile to keep the sabbath in this dispensation. In the past Christians with good intentions renamed Sunday as the "Christian Sabbath," but that didn't change the fact that Saturday was still the Sabbath according to the Word of God.

Genesis 2 teaches a principle: man should rest one day out of the week, as the Lord rested or ceased from his creation on the last day. There was no command to keep the sabbath holy on that day, only a principle taught; a principle of rest. One has to wait to the Book of Exodus where the Lord speaks to the children of Israel where any command is given to keep the Sabbath holy. It is a command given to the nation of Israel, not to the Gentiles.

16. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

My inference was ofcourse he believes that, not that he didn't. He wouldn't be here in he didn't believe that. What I was pointing out was that in knowing He was the son of God, how can you imply the He (Jesus) didn't know what day the Sabbath fell on?

17. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Sure there is DHK. The Sabbath was one of the covenants of promise. Stangers no more

EPHES. 2 [11] Wherefore remember, that ye being IN TIME PAST GENTILES in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands; [12] That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and STRANGERS FROM THE COVENANTS OF PROMISE, having no hope, and without God in the world: [13] BUT NOW IN CHRIST JESUS ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ. [14] For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;

It was for Israel only. Was. We were once strangers from Gods covenants of promise, having no hope. BUT NOW in Christ, should we take hold of those covenants, we have hope

ISAIAH 56 [6] Also the sons of THE STRANGER, that join themselves to the Lord, to serve him, and to love the name of the Lord, to be his servants, every one THAT KEEPETH THE SABBATH from polluting it, and TAKETH HOLD OF MY COVENANT; [7] EVEN THEM WILL I BRING TO MY HOLY MOUNTAIN, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for ALL PEOPLE.

Even them (us gentile strangers mentioned in Ephes.2) will He bring to His holy mountain, if we should take hold of His sabbath covenant. Jesus will bring us to the 1000yr period of rest. That's a promise

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Strangers no more to what? That has nothing to do with the Sabbath. Paul is speaking of how both Jews and Gentiles are one in Christ. That is all. It is the mystery that the Jews could not understand, not so much the Gentiles. Now the Jews were one with the Gentile believers. They had to accept them as such. God had broken down that wall that formerly existed between the two.
    "Now in Christ Jesus...he has made both one and has broken down the middle wall of partition."
    --That is what they had to learn.
    The only covenant now in existence is a covenant with Christ; that all who believe in him will have forgiveness of sin and eternal life. By being born again we can have a personal relationship with Him. That is the covenant. It is relational, not of works.
    will he bring!
    That has nothing to do with now. It is future. The Sabbath is not given to any believer in this dispensation.

19. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

HE WILL BRING! It truly is future. Its about those who will be "saved" to the kingdom

JOHN 10 [16] And OTHER SHEEP I HAVE, WHICH ARE NOT OF THIS FOLD: THEM ALSO I MUST BRING, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

I MUST BRING. Jesus said there were “others” not of the fold of the house of Israel. These “others” are the gentiles that hear His voice. Them also He will bring.... What voice? Bring where?

What voice?
    DEUT. 4 [12] And the Lord spake unto you out of the midst of the fire: ye heard THE VOICE of the words, but saw no similitude; only ye heard a voice. [13] And he declared unto you his covenant, which HE COMMANDED YOU TO PERFORM, EVEN TEN COMMANDMENTS; and he wrote them upon two tables of stone.

Bring where?
    ISAIAH 56 [6] Also THE SONS OF THE STRANGER, that join themselves to the Lord, to serve him, and to love the name of the Lord, to be his servants, every one THAT KEEPETH THE SABBATH from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant; [7] EVEN THEM WILL I BRING TO MY HOLY MOUNTAIN............ [8] The Lord God which gathereth the outcasts of Israel saith, YET WILL I GATHER OTHERS TO HIM, beside those that are gathered unto him.

GATHER....THEM WILL I BRING. Jesus brings them to His Holy Mountain. The 1000 yr period of rest. Yes, the “others” are the gentiles found in John 10 and Isaiah 56.

#119 Chowmah, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2013
  20. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Heres another one

HEBREWS 4 [10] For HE THAT IS ENTERED INTO HIS REST, he also hath ceased from his own works, AS GOD DID FROM HIS. [11] Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

Well...Ya see what it says. Now lets see how God rested from His work

HEBREWS 4 [4] For he spake in a certain place of THE SEVENTH DAY on this wise, And GOD DID REST THE SEVENTH DAY from all his works

Yup. God rested the 7th day. Pretty simple

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.