1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The King James Version onlyism mistake.

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by 37818, Sep 24, 2022.

1. Klein Reveche

Klein Reveche New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I watched videos of a Pastor defending the KJV and saying that MV are corrupt, and I fell into translation rabbit hole for months listening to debates and discussions of the two sides.

I concluded that while I love the KJV, it forces me to translate twice or thrice in my head, from Old English to Modern English and/or to Tagalog, and while sometimes it near instantaneous, sometimes when I want to read the Bible, I want to be able to understand what I'm reading without pulling up dictionaries every time.

I now use the NKJV primarily and NLT on the side on some verses that I have trouble understanding.

• Like Like x 1
  2. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the NKJV is currently the best choice in a modern English translation. And I would treat the NLT as commentary.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Klein Reveche

Klein Reveche New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree, NKJV is the best of both tradition and modern scholarship. It uses the traditional texts and uses the wider understanding of Greek and Hebrew, and takes into account other discovered texts and manuscripts like the DSS and it also has fantastic footnotes that denote where texts differ which helps me alot when preparing a message. NLT is my go to translation for explanation which is great sometimes in difficult passages.

• Like Like x 1
  4. alexander284

alexander284 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    NKJV is my preferred Bible translation. I appreciate the fact that it reads so much like the KJV, but updates archaic and obsolete words, along with words that no longer retain the same meaning.