1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The KJV is A Revision

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by SavedByGrace, Feb 5, 2021.

1. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am neither KJVO or TR, and have a host of Greek NT's, and have no doubt that the text of the KJV, which is not really on the TR, which is after 1611, is preserved by the Lord's Guiding. Metzger was a Liberal, and Wallace, his student, is not that great. I have read his stuff on various passages of Scripture, and don't find that he is really an "authority" I would turn to. His article on 1 John 5:7 exposes his lack of undersatnding of both Greek and textual studies! The Textual Problem in 1 John 5:7-8 | Bible.org

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Lord did nothing to the Kjv that he did not do for the Nas and Esv!

3. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    wrong! He made sure that 1 Timothy 3:16 reads, "And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh...". And in 1 John 5:7, "For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one". Both preserved by the Lord, and removed in the like of, NAS and ESV, due to lie from the devil!

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Removed due to not having sufficient textual evidence to remain in there!

5. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    you don't know what you are talking about! John Burgons work on 1 Timothy 3:16, is probably the best for "God", which has never been surpassed! The revision revised : three articles reprinted from the 'Quarterly review' : I. The new Geek text. II. The new English version. III. Westcott and Hort's new textual theory ; to which is added a reply to Bishop Ellicott's pamphlet in defence of the revisers and their Greek text of the New Testament

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    and I have shown from the Greek grammar, that the internal evidence is beyond any doubt! Also, both Tertullian and Cyprian, who used Greek NT's, quote the words, before any Greek manuscripts, the earliest being the 4th cent, omit them!

8. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jerome (382 A.D.) in his book, ‘Prologue to the Canonical Epistles’, quotes the following when discussing the Johannine Comma that, ‘…irresponsible translators left out this testimony in the Greek codices.’ He further adds the following, ‘…these Epistles I have restored to their proper order; which, if arranged agreeably to the original text, and faithfully interpreted in Latin diction, would neither cause perplexity to the readers, nor would the various readings contradict themselves, especially in that place where we read the unity of the Trinity laid down in the Epistle of John. In this I found translators (or copyists) widely deviating from the truth; who set down in their own edition the names only of the three witnesses, that is, the Water, blood, and Spirit; but omit the testimony of the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; by which , above all places, the Divinity of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit is proved to be one’.

9. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Eugenius at the Council of Carthage (485 A.D.) in ‘Victor of Vitensis, Historia persecutionis Africanae’, his words are recorded, ‘…and in order that we may teach until now, more clearly than light, that the Holy Spirit is now one divinity with the Father and the Son. It is proved by the evangelist John, for he says, ‘there are three which bear testimony in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit, and these three are one’ ‘

10. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those words are not thought to have come from Jerome, because the Bible that it was quoted from does not have the Comma Johannine in the Text.

11. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have done a very detailed study on this many years ago, which I will be posting here soon. There is no doubt that the Prologue was that of Jerome, which was attached to this copy of the Vulgate, even though the verse has been removed from this copy.

12. obadiahrobinson

obadiahrobinson New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Geneva