1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Law: All or Nothing? Done Away or Still Today?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by asterisktom, Apr 21, 2011.

1. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Actually, all will be judged by/on the basis of rejection of the Lord Jesus, by NOT believing on the only name given by which we will be saved by...

And IF one is a Christian, than we are no longer under the bondage of the law, but alive in Christ thru the Holy Spirit...
    the law NEVER meant to save us, but was means by which God revealed Himself, is demands, and used to regulate His holy nation of isreal..
    But now have a new surer Covenant thru the blood of Christ, and not under law to regulate us and our behavior, but the Holy spirit and life of Jesus in us now!

We have the law written on our hearts, in that the Holy Spirit gives us the actual power to live out the law, IF we allow Him to empower us daily...

the law served its purpose, brought usd to realise cannot save ourselves, sinners before God, and we need to receive Jesus as the sin bearer on our behalf...

Once saved/redeemed, no longer un external law, but alive in Christ, bondage to Him, and to walk in power of the Holy Spirit...

#41 JesusFan, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2011
  2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tom, I admire your tenacity (though its now become a long term thing) and its good to see you stimulating our gray matter.

The timeless and universal purpose of the law:

1 Timothy 1:9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers.​

This will stand while there is still sinful flesh to be controlled and/or punished working as a tool by the Spirit (either by letter or written upon the heart via the conscience) to reprove/convict men of sin.​

God's work of regeneration does not and will not eradicate the flesh upon regeneration but provides the power to overcome it (to have dominion over it). The flesh necessitates the law.​

Preterism's difficulty:
    Preterism has no explanation for the present day existence of the flesh, and sin and death and thereby diminishes the power of Christ: ​

Neither can it tell us how long all this sin and death will remain in this material universe or how this material universe will end seeing that all has been fulfilled in the preterist point of view. Sin yet reigning over this world.​

1 John 3:8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

There is one who is coming who will conquer, cleanse and purify the universe in its entirety:​

Act 1
    3 To whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God:
    4 And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me.
    5 For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.
    6 When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel?
    7 And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power.
    8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
    9 And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight.
    10 And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel;
    11 Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.

We have not seen this same Jesus (not Titus) return in like manner (bodily form) as He was seen to leave, but when He does He will assuredly put an end to this miserable abode of sin and death and then and only then will the law become an unecessary tool of the Spirit of God.​

HankD​

3. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    18 And if ye will not yet for these things hearken unto me, then I will chastise you seven times more for your sins.
    19 And I will break the pride of your power: and I will make your heaven as iron, and your earth as brass; Lev 26

23 And thy heaven that is over thy head shall be brass, and the earth that is under thee shall be iron. Dt 28

In Lev 26 & Dt 28 the Jews are told that their heaven and earth would be as iron and brass if they did not hearken unto Him. Well, they didn't hearken unto Him and I believe that their heaven and earth are indeed as iron as brass to them today, and there were several other curses contained in these passages that came down on them due to their unbelief.

I agree. I believe we are new creatures of the new covenant of the new heaven and new earth.

#43 kyredneck, Apr 22, 2011
  4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Tom
    I agree this is very important. I think the answer as far as distinction is made lies in the word fulfilled.
    Jesus Fulfilled all the law in that he carried it out perfectly. Some parts of the law Jesus is the completion of.
    this sign is fulfilled in Christ....
    here is another;
    Tom....is this what you are getting at? I think I am with you on this, but maybe I am tired and not following as well as I would like to..
    4For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

I think some parts of the law are fulfilled and completed IN Christ.....some parts are still on going..the 10 in our heart

#44 Iconoclast, Apr 22, 2011
  5. Calv1

Calv1 Active Member

The law very much applies to us, but remember, Jesus didn't just die for our sins, but fulfilled all righteousness for us Why did Jesus have to live a perfect life? For us!

If Christ only died for our sins, we'd be in the state of Adam, innocent but not righteous. Christ DID IT ALL, God bless Him forever! His temptations were for us, His sorrow was for us, HIS RIGHTEOUS LIFE ACCORDING TO THE LAW was fulfilled for us.

So yes, the law applies to us, but it is also fulfilled for us by Christ