1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Law Cannot Tax a Believer with Damnation

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by KenH, Jan 13, 2022 at 11:12 AM.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "VIII. They that are under Grace revealed, are no more under the Law.

While we are out of Covenant with God, we are, in our own apprehension, under the curse for any breach of law or disobedience; but, when we are once under grace revealed, we are ever under grace, and no more under the Law. The Law can only tell a believer he sins, but cannot tax him with damnation. “We are not under the law, but under grace.” “Who shall lay anything to the charge of God’s elect? Who shall condemn? It is Christ that died.”

IX. When God is said to be in Covenant with a soul.

A Soul is sensibly in Covenant with God, when God hath come to it in the promise, and then when it feels itself under the power of the promise, it begins only to know it is in Covenant; and yet to yield obedience, as if it were but just entering into that Covenant which God hath made with it in Christ, before it could do anything; so as they that believe, do rather feel themselves in that Covenant which God hath made with them, without respect to anything in themselves either, faith or repentance, &c."

- Isaac Chauncy, in "Neonomianism Unmasked OR, A Plea for the ANCIENT GOSPEL"

The book is online at neonomianism-unmasked.pdf (supralapsarian.com)

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thankfully, the covenant God made with man depends on HIM alone, not me, or I'd have no hope. This isn't a treaty or a contract; it is a decision in the heart/will of God alone. Not left to the will of the flesh or heart of man, but 100% of God.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. DaveXR650

DaveXR650 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ken. I read part of that link. Not all of it, it's almost 500 pages! But what is going on there? The arguments are very hard to follow.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, I was conversing with a friend about this book and I said that one really has to start at the beginning in order to follow all of the currents and eddies in the book.