1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Liberal's Go To Guy, John McCain

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Jan 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Since this question was asked and answered not too long ago Are you really wanting an answer or are you using this as a dodge?

Jamie

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You'd better hope so.

All one has to do is listen and watch to know both are weak on defense. Evidently , you're doing neither.

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by carpro
    A Neocon? What is that exactly?

The people who throw the name around the most seem to have the least idea what it is.

I don't recall you throwing it around all that much, but maybe I've forgotten.

Since others don't seem to have an answer, It only reinforces my observation. Maybe you'd like to take a shot at it.

BTW It's hardly a dodge. McCain is the subject of this thread. It has been alledged he is a neocon, whatever that is. I'd like an explanation.

4. Jaaaman

Jaaaman New Member

For those of you that don't think John McCain is the liberals go to guy, here is an article to open your eyes.

Democrats say McCain nearly abandoned GOP

By Bob Cusack

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) was close to leaving the Republican Party in 2001, weeks before then-Sen. Jim Jeffords (Vt.) famously announced his decision to become an Independent, according to former Democratic lawmakers who say they were involved in the discussions.

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/democrats-say-mccain-nearly-abandoned-gop-2007-03-28.html

5. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Here is the thread that asked hat very question. It was answered in that thread, at least the way that poster saw it.

I didn't ask you about your question to be rude or mean, I just thought it had been discussed.

Hope this link helps answer your question.

http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=39928

Jamie

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Neoconservative is a term used to describe someone who was on the left politically and then moved to the right. It of course is a pejorative used by the left of their fomer fellows. It has been misused recently to describe anyone who is different than the left politcally. It has been a term to describe intellectual betrayal. Now it is used because the left cannot think of any original pejoratives to use. So it gets misused.

7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==And the importance of this is what? Since when did the Republican Party become the true test of a persons conservative record? In my opinion the Republican Party is becoming more and more liberal. There is something to be said for Independents, for those who are not loyal to large political parties. I have thought often about switching from Republican to Independent.

McCain has been wrong on many issues, but he has been right on many issues. His opposition to the Bush taxcuts was not all bad. Bush has damaged our economy by cutting taxes and not cutting spending. Cutting taxes is a wonderful thing but if you don't cut spending at the same time you are just creating a big mess. I disagree with McCain on Iraq but at least he believes in fighting to win. Bush did not put enough troops on the ground in Iraq and look what happened. This administration got us into a war that we did not need to fight (in Iraq) and then, to make matters worse, goofed it up. So I am comfortable with McCain's position on Iraq (fight to win) even though I don't agree with his belief that the war in Iraq is a good thing.

As for McCain's views on immigration, I don't see a big problem. Fixing the illegal immigration problem is probably not a realistic expectation. Our government, both parties, is simply too weak to actually fix anything. What I do know is that McCain will do a better job on this issue than either Obama or Hillary.

The big problem I have with McCain is his temper (which he can't control at times). If his people cannot keep that "behind the scenes" Hillary or Obama will mop the floor with him in November of '08 (which may happen anyway).

All of these "conservatives" (quote unquote) who are angry about McCain need to put-up or go away. They had their chance to get a Ron Paul, Fred Thompson, or Mike Huckabee, and they blew that chance. So now they are stuck with John McCain. If they foolishly run off to a third party that will guarantee us eight years of Hillary Clinton. She will ruin our country with her big, expensive social programs. So conservatives need to get behind the only conservative who even has a chance of winning in November. Sadly I think many conservatives will walk away from McCain and give the White House to Hillary. When they do I don't want to hear them complain when "Hillarycare" comes knocking on their door.

Is McCain a conservative? Well on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the most conservative, I would give him a 6. I would give Ron Paul a 9, Fred Thompson a 8, and George W Bush a 5. So I like McCain more than I like Bush (if that means anything).

#47 Martin, Feb 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2008
  8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with most of this. I have not had one candidate to vote for this election cycle. I am not going to vote for the "most" conservative. And I am likely going to become an independent.

9. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It has been, but I want to know specifically what , in McCains history, makes him a "neocon". Your thread reference does not answer that question.

The answers in that thread are really just broadbased sweeping statements that mean nothing. I've read many explanations of the roots of "neoconism" . The fact that there are so many different versions leads one to believe that , at least on BB, it's used primarily as a prejorative, without any basis in fact.

According to CW concerning "neocons", John Kennedy was even a "neocon".

So, What makes John McCain a "neocon"?

#49 carpro, Feb 1, 2008
  10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's one of the reasons for my question. That doesn't seem to describe John McCain.

Based on that definition, one has to conclude that the person describing McCain as a "neocon" is using it only as a prejorative.

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Which is ignorant and common practice. It is also like the lefties use of fascist. Never really appropriate but it makes them feel better. I suggest they call Hannity's hate hotline. He will let them say what ever they want and then he will air it on his program. This is a public service to the left and it is free.:laugh:

#51 Revmitchell, Feb 1, 2008
  12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Side stepper is a term used for those who will not give a direct answer to a direct question.

You have had nothing positive to say about McCain, so again, who is the candidate that meets your high standards and deserves your vote?

13. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He'll NEVER win, never.

"Neocon"? They're trying to evoke an association with the word "Neo-Nazi", it's also a term used by anybody who doesn't support stormfront politics. Juan and his ilk are neoliberals.

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who is Juan and how recently did he become a liberal?

15. betterthanideserve

betterthanideserve New Member

Yes he may if he doesn't cuss them out first! He is no conservative.......and more likley than not a co-conspiritor with hillary & obama they are all CFR members.
    In other words It really does not matter which horse wins the race as long as it is one of your horses,from your barn. Why do you suppose Paul and Huckabee have lost favor with the controlled media,(not that Ron Paul ever had any).
    Do you remember what your mom and dad said when you were a child? as well as what the Bible has to say about character?
    They were offered Jesus to set free and desired a murderer instead, here we are offered an honest man in Ron paul and most desire "FLIPFLOPPERS" and babykillers,those that will quietly lead this nation into a union with mexico and canada and eventualy into a global government.

WAKE UP AMERICA YOUR NATION IS BEING STOLEN FROM YOU!

16. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Huckabee lost favor because he's broke and can't afford to pay for media grooming. Ron Paul isn't favored because he tells the truth. Truth is the last thing the consolidated establishment and it's political stooges want you to learn.

17. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

RevMitchell how many times are you going to be asked this question before you answer?????? :BangHead:

18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was not aware you asked me that question. If you didn't then it is none of your business. I am not under any obligation to answer any question. And if you want some information from me you will have to find a better way to approach me. Is that understood?

19. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Give it up, you aren't talking to me like I am some kid. :rolleyes:

I find it rude for you to avoid someones question over and over again on here. I have every right to that opinion.

If you do not like it then find another place to post.

20. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

hum... As I stated when that question was asked. I knew you wouldn't answer. :rolleyes:

You want to debate topics with people and yet offer no answers to questions. Status Quo for some it seems for you and many others like you...

Jamie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.