1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Limited Atonement

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Scott Downey, Dec 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Biblical.

Biblical.

Agree.

2. ivdavid

ivdavid Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God does not swear in Himself or provide a promise to the non-elect for them to be saved as He does for the elect. He only conditionally desires the salvation of the non-elect - why is it God's failure if they fail the condition, it's their failure alone. If God had unconditionally taken up ownership of the saving of these non-elect, then yes, He can be seen as having failed or being weak. But He sovereignly laid the ownership upon the creature alone to contrast His ways against the creatures' - and we get to now conclude that God alone is good and none other are worthy of any glory whatsoever.

I didn't fully grasp this point. But I'm going along to say that I too wouldn't find such an opportunity of a free rejection to be a requirement in any sense of God's sovereignty - it's just that He's revealed it to be so by expressing His desire that the non-elect too repent and live, which would be in contradiction with a predestined decree of condemnation.

3. ivdavid

ivdavid Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. In fact, I hold that those falling away in Hebrews too are purchased by our Lord.

I'd say the sense is in distinguishing between why God purposed the shedding of blood over Passover and the shedding of blood on the Day of Atonement as two separate events. Couldn't God have simply used the Passover lamb to be the atonement too or vice versa? These were distinct feasts in the OT meant to foreshadow distinct events in our NT. And I see Christ's purchasing of all by a price, which is His blood, as our Passover. But many shall be destroyed in the wilderness. Only those who endure in faith to the end receive the atonement by the High Priest to enter into His promised rest. But all this that spans all of human time is accomplished by Christ on the cross - and I suppose we are stumbling over the specifics of all that He's done there.

I'm not sure if that's exactly what I implied but I'll come to know if you have further objections.

I too am saying Jesus is the propitiation for the sins of the whole world. That fact does not change. Just as the fact that He is the light of the world - people remaining in darkness does not change this fact, neither does it imply that none are in darkness any longer. This isn't worded incorrectly in itself, I just pick up more data from other parts of Scripture on this.
    Rom 3:25 (Christ Jesus): Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood,.....

So I derive a composite from Scriptures that God has set forth Christ to be the propitiation through faith in His blood for the sins of the whole world. Note, the conditional faith in His blood is what negates universal atonement having occurred already for me. Do you see this differently?

I agree on Sola Scriptura completely. I seek logical and Scriptural consistency. What I meant was that I am not absolutely certain in all my conclusions on the atonement - there are a couple of possibilities which could conclude differently but neither are contradicting my overall premises. It's the specifics that I may be wrong about but not the larger truths.

So for instance, I don't know if when Jesus or Stephen prayed to God to forgive that sin of their murderers, whether Jesus' blood was shed to remit that sin. I'm saying, either way, I can still hold on to limited atonement for they could still be condemned for their many other sins which they could die in. I'll expand more if needed.

4. Calminian

Site Supporter

Then why did Peter say they denied the Lord who bought them? It's so explicit.

5. Scott Downey

Scott Downey Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The linked article describes this, did you look at it?

Jude v4 is the same kind of verse, Jude is speaking of apostates, so then also likely Peter is also speaking of apostates.
    So these would be false brethren who have infiltrated the church and to church people they would be viewing them as their brethren who Christ had bought, but they were fakes. They were in the visible church, but were not of the true church.

Jude New King James Version (NKJV)
    Greeting to the Called
    1 Jude, a bondservant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James,
    To those who are called, [a]sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ:
    2 Mercy, peace, and love be multiplied to you.

Contend for the Faith
    3 Beloved, while I was very diligent to write to you concerning our common salvation, I found it necessary to write to you exhorting you to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints. 4 For certain men have crept in unnoticed, who long ago were marked out for this condemnation, ungodly men, who turn the grace of our God into lewdness and deny the only Lord God and our Lord Jesus Christ.

Old and New Apostates
    5 But I want to remind you, though you once knew this, that the Lord, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed those who did not believe. 6 And the angels who did not keep their [c]proper domain, but left their own abode, He has reserved in everlasting chains under darkness for the judgment of the great day; 7 as Sodom and Gomorrah, and the cities around them in a similar manner to these, having given themselves over to sexual immorality and gone after strange flesh, are set forth as an example, suffering the [d]vengeance of eternal fire.
    8 Likewise also these dreamers defile the flesh, reject authority, and speak evil of [e]dignitaries. 9 Yet Michael the archangel, in [f]contending with the devil, when he disputed about the body of Moses, dared not bring against him a reviling accusation, but said, “The Lord rebuke you!” 10 But these speak evil of whatever they do not know; and whatever they know naturally, like brute beasts, in these things they corrupt themselves. 11 Woe to them! For they have gone in the way of Cain, have run greedily in the error of Balaam for profit, and perished in the rebellion of Korah.

Apostates Depraved and Doomed
    12 These are [g]spots in your love feasts, while they feast with you without fear, serving only themselves. They are clouds without water, carried [h]about by the winds; late autumn trees without fruit, twice dead, pulled up by the roots; 13 raging waves of the sea, foaming up their own shame; wandering stars for whom is reserved the blackness of darkness forever.
    14 Now Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied about these men also, saying, “Behold, the Lord comes with ten thousands of His saints, 15 to execute judgment on all, to convict all who are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have committed in an ungodly way, and of all the harsh things which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him.”

Apostates Predicted
    16 These are grumblers, complainers, walking according to their own lusts; and they mouth great swelling words, flattering people to gain advantage. 17 But you, beloved, remember the words which were spoken before by the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ: 18 how they told you that there would be mockers in the last time who would walk according to their own ungodly lusts. 19 These are sensual persons, who cause divisions, not having the Spirit.

Maintain Your Life with God
    20 But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit, 21 keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.
    22 And on some have compassion, [j]making a distinction; 23 but others save [k]with fear, pulling them out of the [l]fire, hating even the garment defiled by the flesh.

Glory to God
    24 Now to Him who is able to keep [m]you from stumbling,
    And to present you faultless
    Before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy,
    25 To [n]God our Savior,
    [o]Who alone is wise,
    Be glory and majesty,
    Dominion and [p]power,
    Both now and forever.
    Amen.

#125 Scott Downey, Jan 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  6. Calminian

Site Supporter

No, but I'm reading your comments. I would surmise that if the article was clear, you'd be able to convey its argument.

But I'm getting to the point where I don't think there is an argument. It appears this passage is an anomaly that doesn't fit into anyone's system. (I scanned the above, and again, don't see a good or even logical answer that explains Peter's words).

#126 Calminian, Jan 2, 2020
  7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All of us were already judged as being found guilty in Adam, so God election was for to those whom he intended to save out, a faithful remanant!

8. Scott Downey

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes, the wisdom is dont build your doctrine on a single verse.

9. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God can desire all sinners to be saved, but none will be until and unless he directly works on their behalf!

10. ivdavid

ivdavid Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay? Don't know how you're relating this to Jude 1:5 - but who would you say were saved out of Egypt? The elect, the non-elect or both?

11. Calminian

Site Supporter

I haven't, in fact I don't have a complete doctrine built yet on this topic. I'm still thinking it through. I'm basically in the mystery category.

My concern is, you've built a doctrine that covers a lot of ground, but completely dismisses and disregards explicit verses that don't fit within it. I think that's problematic.

#131 Calminian, Jan 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Particular

Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Peter expresses God's Sovereign decree regarding these false prophets.
    Notice that these false prophets have been marked out for destruction long before they lived.

2 Peter 2:3 And in their greed they will exploit you with false words. Their condemnation from long ago is not idle, and their destruction is not asleep.

2 Peter 2:17 These are waterless springs and mists driven by a storm. For them the gloom of utter darkness has been reserved.

13. Calminian

Site Supporter

Then why did Peter say our Lord "bought them"? Why didn't he just say what you said?

14. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is the problem I have with Calvinism in general. They build a theology on a couple of verses then ignore many other verses that fly in the face of their theology. When you point it out they end up arguing, "that word means something else than the usual meaning", or "that verse is not addressed to the people you claim it is", or some other argument from my list in my sig.

15. Particular

Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    2 Peter 1:19-21 And we have the prophetic word more fully confirmed, to which you will do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts, knowing this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture comes from someone’s own interpretation. For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.
    2 Peter 2:1-3 But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing upon themselves swift destruction. And many will follow their sensuality, and because of them the way of truth will be blasphemed. And in their greed they will exploit you with false words. Their condemnation from long ago is not idle, and their destruction is not asleep.

Does Peter say that the false prophets master is God?

2 Peter 2:1 Lexicon: But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will also be false teachers among you, who will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing swift destruction upon themselves.

16. Calminian

Site Supporter

Does Peter not say, false prophets were bought by our Lord?

17. Calminian

Site Supporter

I don't know that this is exclusive to Calvinists. I think many of many different disciplines will tweak definitions of words when they don't quite fit in the system. Every calvinist is different in the way they formulate their arguments, but this is true with just about everyone of every persuasion.

I've come to the point, I'm content with mystery, and not being able to reconcile everything. I'm even willing to hold a contradictory view, knowing it's perfectly clear in God's mind.

18. Calminian

Site Supporter

"even denying the Lord who bought them"????

19. Scott Downey

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Denying The Lord That Bought Them | Standard Bearer

Anyone who is curious about this should realize Christ does not give eternal life and then take it away.
    So if Christ bought them with His blood then they are His own possession, His sheep, and your preaching a universal atonement.
    The problem is Christ gives to His sheep eternal life and they will never perish, so now your into the false idea that all men are saved. Christ says He gives up His life for the sheep. And Christ also tells unbelievers your not my sheep, so not all are the sheep.

Christ is the great Shepherd of the sheep.

These 2 articles I link explain it perfectly well.

#139 Scott Downey, Jan 2, 2020
  20. Calminian

Site Supporter

I agree, BTW. I don't believe salvation can be lost, nor to I believe salvation is universal.

So I'm left with the only possible resolution: salvation and atonement are not synonymous. That's all I can come up with without completely denying what Peter said.

So you're saying we can't trust Peter because of your logical argument above? Or we have to take Peter as meaning the opposite of what he said for the sake of logic?

You keep making these logical/theological arguments instead of just explaining how this text fits into your theology. But maybe you should tweak the theology before the text.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.