1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Lord Jesus Christ and the Death Penalty

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, Sep 8, 2011.

1. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

I do not hold to the confessions/creeds though, as the Bible is sufficient for the Christian to grow up in all things spiritual!

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Let me ask you this. Do you really believe that if you got saved and had no bible with the written law you would know how to live? If you say yes then explain why we meet and are taught the word? We need to stop all that teaching and just preach the gospel, but the Lord said we are to teach men to obey all, and all takes the written word.
    When ever the Lord convicts me He always points back to what is written. Alsways!

3. JesusFan

i am saying that the ONLY word we need today is the sure word of the Bible, as that is revelation of God unto us...

IF one was saved, and abided in Christ, empowered by yielding to the HS, would have His fruit...

focus on Following jesus, not looking at and following the Law as they had to in OT times!

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

The problem is that to know how to follow takes the written law. God does not pump into understanding apart from the written law.

5. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your wrong and I've shown you many times in scripture where you are wrong.

peace to you:praying:

6. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Well then perhaps your church is spinning its wheels by having teachers teach from the bible. :laugh:

7. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How does "life in prison without parole" fit what you previously stated? ...

You evaded the question. How is life without parole "perfect patience" toward the worst of sinners?

You know what I'm asking... if you claim 'we' [the state] do not have authority to apply the death penalty, then whence do we have any authority to apply "life without parole"-- which actually IS the death penalty with a much slower death?

8. JesusFan

actually, the Bible DOES proscribe the death penalty for First degree murder, but is silent on right to "life in prison"

9. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have not claimed to be part of the "state". I am suprised that you see your allegience as being to the "state" concerning this issue.

I have repeatedly stated that Christians are to follow the command of our Lord Jesus Christ to show mercy with perfect patience. Support for the death penalty is contrary to that command.

You seemed to be saying that life in prison without parole is contrary to showing mercy with perfect patience as well. I do not. A person can have a life long ministry in prison, serving the Lord in the circumstances in which He was saved.

BTW, I have not said the "state" does not have the authority to apply the death penalty, only that Christians should not support it themselves. God often uses evil men to punish other evil men.

Let Christians show mercy with perfect patience which is following the example of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Let the ungodly apply the death penalty.

peace to you:praying:

10. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay. The South Africa regime which kept Nelson Mandela in prison for 27 years showed "perfect patience." Or does the fact that he was less than life-without-parole negate that?

The Roman-ruled world certainly applied the death penalty... by crucifixion, shoving off a rocky cliff, beheading, the brazen calf [look that one up if you care to], and other methods. Yet Paul told the Christians in Rome to pay their taxes-- SUPPORT financially-- the things Rome did.

It's not amazing God knows how to kill 2 birds with one stone.

Which, I suppose, would include chasing crooked money-changers out of the temple with a whip.

I don't stop them. But I might if they started applying it for not chanting to Allah.

Okay.