1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Lord's Day vs The Sabbath

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by BillyMac, Apr 18, 2004.

1. BillyMac

BillyMac New Member

8 "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work: 10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work..." (Exodus 20:8-10a) KJV is a commandment. The Sabbath being the 7th day of the week was the day that God rested. This is clearly marked in the Old Testament.

How is it then that we celebrate what we call The Lord's Day on the 1st day of the week??? Have we perverted the laws of God by instituting this special day as being comemorative of The Sabbath???

What scriptural basis is there for making the 1st day the day of rest, as opposed to the 6th day??? And why isn't it still called the Sabbath???

Finally who was it who began this tradition and will we Christians be held liable for following man instead of obeying God???

2. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Billymac, your position is obvious that we must rest on the 7th day, which I assume you mean to be Saturday.

The reason we don't do this anymore is because the Sabbath was the ceremonial sign of the Old Covenant. If you are part of the Old Covenant, you would need to obey the Sabbath law. However, if you are part of the Old Covenant, you are lost and still in your sins.

Christ instituted a New Covenant, a new law, etc. In the N.C., we have rest in our sabbath, Christ himself. Therefore, we celebrate the day he conquered sin and death.

This isn't manmade at all. This is biblical theology. I have nothing but pity for those who fail to grasp New Covenant truth.

3. Audra

Audra New Member

Christ said the Sabbath was made for Man.....
    The Sabbath was instituted at creation, not when the old covenant was made. Therefore, I'll do what God said.
    Sunday worship was instituted by Constantine. Read history.

4. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Sorry, but you are off here.

The sabbath was set aside at creation, but it was a sign of the Old Covenant.

Ever wonder why it never says anyone else rested on the sabbath prior to God requiring it in the Old Covenant? I don't.

I will also do what God says and not smack the New Covenant around in favor of the ministry of death (2 Cor. 3).

5. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Christ is our Sabbath now.

6. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Audra, that is what Hebrews 4 is about. I always encourage people to get their views from Scripture.

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Colossians 2:16-17 "Therefore let no one act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day -- things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ."

Sabbath = shadow of real substance (Christ). Not too difficult.

8. GulliverBarb

GulliverBarb New Member

I was very excited to see this question posted. I asked the very same question to my pastor this week.

His response was this:

You ask a good question … about Sunday / Sabbath.

Remember the Sabbath Day to keep it holy … This has been long debated and argued for that matter. There are several answers for you. In the New Testament (NT) there are at least three references to the church gathering on the first day of the week: Acts 20:7, 1 Corinthians 16:2, and Revelation 1:10. The first day of the week was a remembrance of Jesus’ resurrection on the first day of the week. The early Christians called it “The Lord’s Day.” Acts 17:2 indicates that Paul continued to use the Sabbath as an opportunity for evangelism as he attended synagogue and preached Christ.

What becomes clear in the early church is that the Jews became increasingly intolerant of these Christians attending and speaking about Jesus. As they became excluded from the synagogues, they increasingly met on the first day of the week … the Lord’s Day … as an ongoing celebration of the resurrection.

Is this a violation of the Sabbath? Apparently not.

In Romans 14:5-8, Paul specifically deals with some issues of the law: eating meat and holy days. He says that as one is convicted in the heart to honor one particular day, we are not to challenge or be critical of this conviction. “Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.”

So, the Christian Church has settled on Sunday as the Day of the Lord, a day of remembrance of resurrection, and a day that serves as the day devoted to the Lord … to be kept and preserved as holy to the Lord.

9. TheBear

TheBear New Member

The cycle is 7 days...forever. That has not changed.

10. Audra

Audra New Member

[snipped - nonbaptist posting in baptist-only area]

[ April 24, 2004, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: Dr. Bob Griffin ]

11. dawna marie

dawna marie New Member

but its not wrong to worship on the sabbath or rest on the sabbath . God rested on sabbath. nor is it wrong to worship and rest on sunday