1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Love of God For His People

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Martin, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you know that God the Father loves His children just as He loves God the Son (Jesus)?

He does!

The Bible says:

"I in them and You in Me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that You sent Me and loved them even as You loved Me" John 17:23

I have read the Lord's prayer in John 17 many, many times. And, no doubt, I have read this verse each of those times. I have even done studies on John 17. However last night in my personal reading time this verse literally jumped right off the page at me. God the Father loves me just as much as He loves Jesus. This is true for each of God's children.

Now let's not make the mistake of applying this type of love to the whole human race. Jesus is not saying that the Father loves each human as much as He loves the Son. Jesus is only talking about those who belong to the Father, that is those the Father has given to Him (vss2,6,9,24,). This is God's love for His people. In fact in verse 23 itself we see that Jesus is seperating out "the world" from those the Father has given Him ("so that the world may know that You sent Me and loved them even as You loved Me").

If you are saved the Father loves you just as much as He loves Jesus Christ Himself (God the Son). Now that is a powerful fact. DA Carson says that this thought is, "breathtakingly extravagant". I agree 100%.

What is the result of this?

"so that the world may know that You sent Me and loved them even as You loved Me" John 17:23

Christians should be united so that the world may see the love of God in the church of Jesus Christ. Christ is not glorified, nor is the love of God seen in the church, when the church fights over unimportant stuff. How sad it is when we see a church split over money, or personalities! We are the family of God! We should be loving one another so that the love of Christ will be seen in the church. This certainly does not mean that we can't have healthy discussion and debate about important theological matters. We should! What it does mean, however, is that such debates should be carried out in a way that brings glory to God and shows the love of Christ in the church.

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Martin - I'm convinced most Christians ARE united to demonstrate the love of God for His church.

Where we are NOT united is with
    1. Unbelievers who claim to be "christian"
    2. Unruly brethren who walk after the world and from whom GOD tells us to avoid/shun

Our local Assemblies pastor rented the large Event Center for services Sunday (July 2). He wanted ALL "christians" - his word - to gather. All catholics, mormons, etc etc were especially invited to have a "uniting religious experience".

I wanted to gag.

Then in the evening he arranged for a CCM group (Point of Grace, lovely ladies singing rock about the Rock) and again invited ALL to come, to show we are unified.

If preaching wouldn't unite, let CCM. Wanted to gag some more.

The whole evil compromise of the ecumenical movement is based on exactly what you are saying . . thought you'd want to see how fraught with danger a generic "love everybody" message truly has.

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    2 Chronicles 19:2

Jehu the seer , the son of Hanani , went out to meet him and said to the king , " Should you help the wicked and love those who hate the Lord ? Because of this the wrath of the Lord is on you ."

#3 Rippon, Jul 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2006
  4. PrimePower7

PrimePower7 New Member

I hear you, Martin

I am a separtist as much as the next indy fundy, but I hear you on this issue. We are in "the tall grass" when it comes to the message people need to see...yes the message they need to see. "By THIS shall all men know that you are my disciples, because you have love on for another".

We are not identified as disciples of Christ because we say we are disciples. Nor are we identified as such because we have pretty buildings and intensive missions programs with arms of outreach going in every direction. Jesus is clear, our number one mission is to sacrificially love the true brothers and sisters in Christ.

5. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Modern Church

==So really what you are saying is that the modern church is in such bad shape that it is difficult to obey Christ's command?

Several points...

1. My post was based on the Words of Jesus (John 17:23, etc).

2. In my post I did state that, "Now let's not make the mistake of applying this type of love to the whole human race. Jesus is not saying that the Father loves each human as much as He loves the Son. Jesus is only talking about those who belong to the Father, that is those the Father has given to Him (vss2,6,9,24,)". So I am not preaching a "generic love everybody message". This is about born again Christians in the church.

3. I am also not promoting any form of ecumenicalism. This is only about born again Christians. No central doctrine can, or should, be compromised for the sake of unity. Jesus did not compromise truth and I am not saying we should, we should not.

4. I also said in my post, "This certainly does not mean that we can't have healthy discussion and debate about important theological matters. We should! What it does mean, however, is that such debates should be carried out in a way that brings glory to God and shows the love of Christ in the church". Here I actually had in mind the issue of Calvinism/Arminianism and the two debates (Mohler v. Patterson at the SBC...White/Ascol v. Caner/Caner at the new TRBC in October). So I am not saying that Christians should not debate/discuss important doctrinal issues. We should debate/discuss such issues but it should be done in a Christ-like manner.

6. vanhall

vanhall New Member

we as christain are not to avoid anyone because god does not avoid anyone he loves everyone so we should also, but not to do as thay do god told us to go to all nations and preach the word of god so we dont turn anyone away :Fish:

7. gekko

gekko New Member

"Jesus loves the sinner but hates the sin!"

huh? what? where's that in scripture?

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

John 3:16.

9. gekko

gekko New Member

how do you explain that God's wrath is upon the ungodly then webdog?

#9 gekko, Jul 5, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2006
  10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

They didn't partake in God's wrath put upon His Son.

11. gekko

gekko New Member

uh. that made no sense.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Then you probably need to spend more time in the Word.

13. gekko

gekko New Member

very lovely stereotypical christian cliche answer

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...but true.