1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Mandolin Player

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by KenH, Aug 1, 2008.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Mandolin Player

Somehow the usual anxieties of life didn't matter when David Hochman focused on mastering the mandolin.

By David Hochman
    From Reader's Digest

To the outside world, we probably don't sound like much. Our banjo player is deaf in one ear and sings like he's deaf in both. The nine-year-old on fiddle is sawing G notes though we're playing in A. Then there's the mandolin player (yours truly), whose bluegrass jamming skills before today were limited to air banjo renditions of that song from Deliverance.

What our group lacks in musicianship is offset by our willingness to humiliate ourselves. Failing publicly is the point at Dr. Banjo's Bluegrass Jam Camp, where I have come to strum alongside kindred spirits -- rank beginners like me whose families couldn't bear the twanging anymore.

- rest at www.rd.com/inspiring-true-stories/an-adult-learns-the-mandolin/article89828.html

2. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

Enjoyed the article KenH. Several years ago I purchased a cheap mandolin at Silverdollar City in Branson and I can relate to the frustration of attempting to master such an instrument.

3. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

My youngest son plays the mandolin and sings at church services. I love mandolin music.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    After I achieve some proficiency in playing guitar I would like to learn to play the mandolin. :)