1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Massa Circus Takes the Air out of Glenn Beck

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Crabtownboy, Mar 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

No...I got what I expected.

2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rev. you didn't answer my question. By the way you almost never answer questions and almost never give any links to support you opinion. Now that is intellectually dishonest.

I would think, being in a new church ... new to you ... that you would have little time for play, such as watching Beck or posting opinions on this BB. I would think your duties as pastor would keep you very busy. O'Reilly admits he is a commentator on life. That is simply another name for entertainer. I am not sure if Beck has been honest enough to say the same. Truth is not a necessity for him.

To his credit Beck has admitted to making stuff up:

How can you tel the truth when you do not check the facts ........ of that is right, entertainers do not need to check facts to entertain.

#22 Crabtownboy, Mar 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2010
  3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well thank you for trying to speak for me, but as usual you've done a poor job.

I don't care for Beck, or anyone like him on any of the 24 hour news channels, because they are intellectually dishonest. They obscure points and are uncharitable towards people who disagree with them. They refuse to allow legitimate questions to be asked and live a double standard. Finally, the style of their rhetoric is such that is obfuscates real issues and harps on things that are relatively minor and don't have anything to do the bigger picture.

I don't watch television channels for my news. These kinds of show hosts are boorish and unappealing to me.

4. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

And you pray to God with that mouth? :praying:

5. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no idea what that's supposed to mean, but could you please answer my question: do you know how Communism got such a foothold in Central America?

6. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...says the person who just got caught in a lie.

Do you have any examples of Beck doing this?

How so?

So, you don't watch Glenn Beck and yet, you feel qualified to tell us what he says on the show you admit not watching?

7. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see. So then, it doesn't matter that he has a staff of thirty people who do nothing but research the facts he discusses on his show, the fact that he doesn't go to a website you like means that he doesn't check his facts?

By the way, are you aware that in the incident you're talking about with his appearance on the View, Beck was proven to be correct, while Walters and Goldberg were shown to have made up their story?

8. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

So if I disagree with your position I'm a liberal?

This is funny because the other day in a seminar I was accused of being a raving fundamentalist...by a PhD who didn't care my my take on an issue.

Its all relative I guess...

Glenn Beck is wrong because he improperly accuses churches of being heretical from a vantage point of being outside of the church. It is a wolf coming to get the sheep. He has said that "social justice" is a code word for communism. That is wrong.

You have no problem addressing me as a liar, calling my commitment to Christ into question, a communist, and other terrible monikers in other threads that you've give me, a brother in Christ. Glenn Beck is, reportedly, a Mormon. Do you believe a Mormon is more qualified to tell us about the Church? Do you think that he is actually a prophet to the Church? Does his belief in Mormonism better qualify him than a brother in Christ to more charitable language?

27 Pure and undefiled religion before our God and Father is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself unstained by the world. James 1:27 (HCSB)

44 Now all the believers were together and had everything in common. 45 So they sold their possessions and property and distributed the proceeds to all, as anyone had a need.
    Acts 2:43-45 (HCSB) This is the first act of the Church

1 In those days, as the number of the disciples was multiplying, there arose a complaint by the Hellenistic Jews against the Hebraic Jews that their widows were being overlooked in the daily distribution. 2 Then the Twelve summoned the whole company of the disciples and said, “It would not be right for us to give up preaching about God to wait on tables. 3 Therefore, brothers, select from among you seven men of good reputation, full of the Spirit and wisdom, whom we can appoint to this duty.
    Acts 6:1-3 (HCSB) This is the first sending act of the Church

8 The word of the Lord came to Zechariah: 9 “The Lord of Hosts says this: Render true justice. Show faithful love and compassion to one another. 10 Do not oppress the widow or the fatherless, the stranger or the poor, and do not plot evil in your hearts against one another. Zech 7:8-10 (HCSB)

23 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! You pay a tenth of mint, dill, and cumin, yet you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy, and faith. These things should have been done without neglecting the others. 24 Blind guides! You strain out a gnat, yet gulp down a camel! Matt 23:23-24 (HCSB)

6 But you must return to your God.
    Maintain love and justice,
    and always put your hope in God
    . Hosea 12:6 (HCSB)

Two points:
    1. Some Scripture would be nice
    2. Is it possible there are more than these 5 purposes of the Church?

How did I lie? You are accusing me of this.

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/0...steners-to-leave-churches-that-preach-social/
    (The play button is in the middle of the page) Here's the quote:

I'm begging you, your right to religion and freedom to exercise religion and read all of the passages of the Bible as you want to read them and as your church wants to preach them . . . are going to come under the ropes in the next year. If it lasts that long it will be the next year. I beg you, look for the words 'social justice' or 'economic justice' on your church Web site. If you find it, run as fast as you can. Social justice and economic justice, they are code words. Now, am I advising people to leave their church? Yes.

#28 preachinjesus, Mar 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2010
  9. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

If you were the host of a nationwide show wouldn't you check, double check, and triple check the 'facts' you were going to present on the program? I sure would. To fact checkers it is their job. For you it would be your credibility and reputation.

Rev. still has not answered my question about using his time in a new church, a new congregation, a new location where Baptists are very much a minority.

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not at all it is the communist agenda and communism is alive and well. Add to that it is not the purpose of the church.

11. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I were in his position, I don't believe that I would be able to do so, so I would probably do the same as he has done and hire a staff to do it for me.

I don't blame him. It's a stupid question.

Never said anything like that.

How is that hypocritical? If they're wrong, then how are they any less wrong just because their error is pointed out by a non-Christian?

If you're so sure that it's wrong, then why are you so afraid to answer my question?

That's because you just got caught in a lie.

Really? When did I ever call you a Communist? When did I question your commitment to Christ?

Actually, he is not merely reported to be a Mormon, he is a Mormon and talks about his Mormon faith all the time.

Sometimes, yes.

Of course not, but I do believe that not being a Christian does not prevent someone from pointing out the truth.

Correct. However, nowhere in this verse are we told that the purpose of the church is to do community service.

No, that's the first act of individuals within the church. Regardless, nothing in this verse says that the purpose of the church is to do acts of charity.

Actually, this passage refers to the creation of the office of deacon, not to the church being appointed to do acts of charity.

Again, this doesn't refer to the church being appointed to do acts of charity. In fact, this book was written long before the church was even created.

Nothing here about the church being appointed to do acts of charity.

Nothing here about the church being called to do acts of charity.

If you believe there are more, then please feel free to show them.

So then, as we all can see, Beck says nothing at all about leaving your church if it does acts of charity, as you claimed he did.

12. rbell

rbell Active Member

Hey Crabby...

[​IMG]

Nice Duck.
    Obviously, you practice at avoiding questions you find difficult...

#32 rbell, Mar 11, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  13. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By the way, I just finished listening to hour 2 of today's show and about six minutes in (at least, going by the podcast) he explains the whole issue of leaving churches that adopt the "social justice" philosophy.

There is simply no way any reasonable person could interpret what he said as saying to leave your church if they believe in helping the poor.

14. targus

targus New Member

Where does Crabby get the gall to pontificate on a show that he did not see - but only read about? And opinion pieces at that.

What kind of fact checking is Crabby doing?

15. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

He hold himself to the highest standards....those of the group that checks Presidential birth records! :laugh:

16. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because liberals are fundamentally dishonest.

17. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thread Closure

This thread is closed forthwith with prejudice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.