1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Meaning of 'World' in John 3:16

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Martin Marprelate, Oct 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is an irrelevant point however true it may be.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

How so? For if John 3:16 does not mean the entire world period, that strikes down a primary Armianin text!

3. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It strikes down nothing. Just because it may mean or may not mean every single person in the world in other texts does not mean that is not the context in John 3:16,

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think that the term world though there does not mean every single sinner who ever lived!

5. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Being that you believe you are totally depraved......we can only assume you will assign the absolute wrong meaning to every one of them.

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now we have be given the annoiting from/of the Holy Spirit to know the truth, as per Apostle John!

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sure you do. I'm ok with you being wrong. My point still stands.

8. utilyan

Site Supporter

That's wonderful news maybe you can share how you went from one day TOTALY DEPRAVED to TOTALLY UNDERSTANDING all scripture.

ALL in one second.

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NOT total understandin all of the Bible, but themain doctrines canbe nowknown, and tha is by th Spiri regenerating/saving/illuminating us now!

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, since you would see it being the Will of God to have all men come to Christ and get saved now, due to Jesus death for all, Holy Spirit working towards all, why not all get saved then?

#70 Yeshua1, Nov 16, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea this is one of the worst arguments cals make.

This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. I Timothy 2:3-4 (ESV)

Just because God desires it and just because God offers grace to everyone, does not mean that everyone to whom God offers grace has to be saved. God set up that men could receive it or reject it. That is how He works. This in no way effects His sovereignty. it remains in tact.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where does te Bivlesttes tha God offerred all sinners same Grace though?

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aside from the verses I just gave you there is John 3:16

14. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    [QUOTE="Martin Marprelate, post: 2263655, member: 10536"
    Thus it will be seen that "kosmos" has at least seven clearly defined different meanings in the New Testament. It may be asked, Has then God used a word thus to confuse and confound those who read the Scriptures? We answer, No! nor has He written His Word for lazy people who are too dilatory, or too busy with the things of this world, or, like Martha, so much occupied with "serving," they have no time and no heart to "search" and "study" Holy Writ! Should it be asked further, But how is a searcher of the Scriptures to know which of the above meanings the term "world" has in any given passage? The answer is: This may be ascertained by a careful study of the context, by diligently noting what is predicated of "the world" in each passage, and by prayer fully consulting other parallel passages to the one being studied. The principal subject of John 3:16 is Christ as the Gift of God. The first clause tells us what moved God to "give" His only begotten Son, and that was His great "love;" the second clause informs us for whom God "gave" His Son, and that is for, "whosoever (or, better, 'every one') believeth;" while the last clause makes known why God "gave" His Son (His purpose), and that is, that everyone that believeth "should not perish but have everlasting life." That "the world" in John 3:16 refers to the world of believers (God's elect), in contradistinction from "the world of the ungodly" (2 Pet. 2:5), is established, unequivocally established, by a comparison of the other passages which speak of God's "love." "God commendeth His love toward US", the saints, Romans 5:8. "Whom the Lord loveth He chasteneth"-every son, Hebrews 12:6. "We love Him, because He first loved US" - believers, 1 John 4:19. The wicked God "pities" (see Matt. 18:33). Unto the unthankful and evil God is "kind" (see Luke 6:35). The vessels of wrath He endures "with much long-suffering" (see Rom. 9:22). But "His own" God "loves"![/QUOTE]
    As far as I can tell Pink must be red faced by now. He didn't prove anything but the fact that "who so ever" is anyone who would believe. This alone would be the whole world. Oh I know Calvinist claim we cannot believe with out being elect.
    What is it about your particular election that sets you apart from the "who so ever?
    MB

15. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well it exactly isn't, is it? It is the limiting factor. God's love towards the world is shown in this way, that He gave His only begotten Son, not for the world (however you may wish to interpret that), but for the whosoevers.
    Nothing at all. I am one of the whosoevers. 'But by the grace of God I am what I am' (1 Corinthians 15:10). Nothing of me; all of Him (Ephesians 1:3-6).

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is the important aspect, as God intended to save the who soever wills, but those would be the ones God grants them will to do do!

17. utilyan

Site Supporter

Your belief in a weak God is a mistake.

Ezekiel 18

23“Do I have any pleasure in the death of the wicked,” declares the Lord GOD, “rather than that he should turn from his ways and live?

God doesn't want wicked to fail and wants them to turn from their ways. Notice he wants THEM to repent, you keep saying GOD has to repent. That God has to change his mind and do something to change you.

Election is God's decree.

GOD in PERSON can tell you to your face that you are damned. I've heard plenty of self-proclaimed elects..... They go by their own judgment. But here's GOD almighty telling you to your face. There isn't a greater certificate of being certainly doomed then God telling you himself.

Ezekiel 33

14“But when I say to the wicked, ‘You will surely die,’ and he turns from his sin and practices justice and righteousness, 15if a wicked man restores a pledge, pays back what he has taken by robbery, walks by the statutes which ensure life without committing iniquity, he shall surely live; he shall not die. 16“None of his sins that he has committed will be remembered against him. He has practiced justice and righteousness; he shall surely live.

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hold to a Mighty God, whose Will and Election makes sure that the sinner gets saved and kept, ethe God that you seem to hold to, who needs to have the sinner assist God to save him!

#78 Yeshua1, Nov 18, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  19. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In a strange way I've got to admire you. You just write a load of old rubbish and post it up here and accuse people of all sorts of things. You should be in politics. If you say anything confidently enough, someone will believe you.
    Yes indeed! But the sad fact is that people don't do it. 'And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light because their deeds were evil' (John 3:19). The gates of heaven are wide open today, and anyone who wills may enter (eg. Revelation 22:17), but no one will unless God takes them by the scruff of the neck and hauls them through. "But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life" (John 5:40).

20. utilyan

Site Supporter

No sir, According to you, you can't hold on to GOD, he has to hold on to you.

"God that you seem to hold to, who needs to have the sinner assist God to save him!"

If I were to claim you could learn swim.

You would argue that was untrue on account you yourself can't assist the swimming teacher in having you swim.

More then likely someone taught you to tie your shoes. Same ways a sinner learns from God to do the right thing.

The word disciple means STUDENT.

19“Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, 20teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

Jesus commands me to make disciples. You keep saying you don't make disciples, You try to boss God around, "only God can make disciples".

What did you learn from the day you were non-born again to Born Again?

You learned 2 things, Jack and Squat. You are just a DISCIPLE. Born-again is just the school registration.

That's why your being schooled even know, to observe ALL that Christ commands. Not half, not some, not weighing well Jesus said to do this.....what is that going to give me though?

God wants you to do A B C.

A. might get you hurt.

B. Will give you salvation

C. Is helpful advice.

There is kind of Christians here says well....I really only need to do B that's what matters. SELFISH whats in it for him. Salvation FIRST.

The right way is do ABC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.