1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The "Mechanical Translation"--You must be joking!

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by John of Japan, Nov 27, 2019.

1. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    But why assume the Greek word refers to a Roman cup in a Jewish context? And why only one word for translation? Sounds rather “Mechanical.” :Wink

Your illustration actually seems to emphasize that one must know the target language culture as well, which in this case sounds as if it has changed over time--a problem for older translations.

And I like the way you hedged with “can be used.” :Wink

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you are saying that the translator must never interpret, that is a myth. The translator must exegete or he cannot translate.

On the other hand, if you mean the translator must never insert his own interpretation into the text, that is correct. The translator's brief is simply to get the meaning from one language to another.

I'm all in favor of footnotes. And I do agree that exact translation is often not possible, but not that it is impossible. For example, the core or root meaning of "gold" is the same in every language I'm familiar with. In Chinese and Japanese it is the character 金, kin in Japanese and jīn in Chinese. In their core meaning, wthey both mean the same as the Greek crusion. And that Chinese character has been around for 1000's of years with no change in meaning.

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Um, because the Romans ruled the Jews and spread their culture all over their empire. But fine, do the research on a 1st century Jewish cup. For example, the ones found at Qumran are very similar.
    Exactly.

Thank you. And that illustrates the fact that translation is not a science but an art (contra Eugene Nida).

• Like Like x 1
  4. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, I meant that the translator should not do any unnecessary interpreting, but that was obvious from the context. When a translator does not understand the context, that can be a big problem. :)
    Of course I didn’t mean it to the extreme any more than you meant that no word could be translated mechanically in your criticism of that "method" in this thread. :)

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Try reading the whole post, Sir, before you claim the message is unclear!

I agreed with the translations that said "made holy" or something to that effect (i.e. leading to holiness) and agreed with the translations that said "set apart" or something to that effect. And this is not Translation 101 because very few or none of the translations made those choices at Romans 6:19 and 1 Peter 1:2. But it is the way forward.

6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very true.

The reason I asked is because there is a view even among some Christians that real translation is impossible, so we just muddle along somehow. This is based on the teachings of existentialist Wittgenstein, and something called the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis (two linguists), also called the principle of linguistic relativity.

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did read the entire post. It was still unclear.
    Okay, thank you.
    What I said was Translation 101 was specifically your statement "depending on context."

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The reason many versions do not read "made holy" or words to that affect at Romans 6:19 is the failure to translate according to the contextual meaning. Instead, many translations leave the contextual meaning unclear. The reason many versions do not read "set apart" at 1 Peter 1:2 is the failure to translate according to the contextual meaning.

What is wrong, someone might say, with leaving the translation ambiguous, when we cannot be infallibly certain our view of the contextual meaning is correct? That is a good question.

But it seems to me we should move the needle toward our view of the contextual meaning and away from the ambiguous meaning because so many mistaken views on based on speculation concerning a vague text. See the "baptizing for the dead" thread for example.

9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sometimes the meaning of the original in context is still ambiguous. In that case, it should be rendered as ambiguous in the target language, allowing the reader to be the interpreter. This is not always possible in the target language.

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was possible in the target language (English) in both examples. When scholars are divided as to the contextual meaning, we could put the majority view in the main text and footnote the minority view.

Basically there is no good reason why our English translations do not reflect the most likely contextual meaning.

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To demonstrate the ease of using the contextual meaning to translate a word with more than one meaning, here are all the cases for hagiasmos G38.

[Rom 6:19, 22 NASB] 19 I am speaking in human terms because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you presented your members as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness, resulting in [further] lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves to righteousness, resulting in holiness. ... 22 But now having been freed from sin and enslaved to God, you derive your benefit, resulting in holiness, and the outcome, eternal life.

[1Co 1:30 NASB] 30 But by His doing you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, and righteousness and holiness and redemption,

[1Th 4:3-4, 7 NASB] 3 For this is the will of God, your holiness; [that is,] that you abstain from sexual immorality; 4 that each of you know how to possess his own vessel in holiness and honor, ... 7 For God has not called us for the purpose of impurity, but in holiness.

[2Th 2:13 NASB] 13 But we should always give thanks to God for you, brethren beloved by the Lord, because God has chosen you from the beginning for salvation through being set apart by the Spirit and faith in the truth.

[1Ti 2:15 NASB] 15 But [women] will be preserved through the bearing of children if they continue in faith and love and holiness with self-restraint.

[Heb 12:14 NASB] 14 Pursue peace with all men, and the holiness without which no one will see the Lord.

[1Pe 1:2 NASB] 2 according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, by the setting apart work of the Spirit, to obey Jesus Christ and be sprinkled with His blood: May grace and peace be yours in the fullest measure.

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, no! A coup attempt on this thread. :eek:

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We should all want to overthrow the proponents of less than the best translation methodology.
    Translating source language word or phrase meanings consistently and unambiguously should be our goal.
    That would set apart our efforts from some of the flawed efforts of the past.