1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The "Message" Bible ???

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Spirit and Truth, Nov 29, 2003.

1. Spirit and Truth

Spirit and Truth New Member

Scott:

So, do you concede the point at Beelzebul being rendered, "The God of Dung?" If so, we can move to the next point.

S&T:

I asked for textual proof [from the Greek texts} for Dung face. Dung god is a side road that you preferred to go down. At best it is a secondary errant reading. Let's talk about "face".

2. Spirit and Truth

quote:

"God is not the God of the dead, but of the living."

How does this passage relate to who God defined Himself as in Exodus to Moses. Many have stated that the verb hayah is best translated as "will be".
    He is eternal Scott....no beginning and no end. Jesus defined it in the Greek as Alpha/Omega.

3. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

Again, the verse answers your question. All of the versions that I've seen say something similar to the Message. All of them include, "I am," and all of them say, "I am not the God of the dead, but of the living." Is God saying that he was not the God of those who have already died? I don't think so. Because I answer that question in the negative, the verse doesn't pose a problem to me. Again - this verse addresses your question, not the other way around.

Re: Dung God - do you concede the fact that Beelzebul means "dung god?" If you do, then we can go from there. If you cannot, then scholarship doesn't mean much, and we're at an impasse here.

4. Spirit and Truth

Once again...

S&T:

I asked for textual proof [from the Greek texts} for Dung face. Dung god is a side road that you preferred to go down. At best it is it is a secondary errant reading. Let's talk about "face".

5. Spirit and Truth

Let's make this simple Scott:

ego eimi theos Abraam kai theos Isaak kai theos Iakob

Please pick the word or words in the above text that means "not was"

ei kaleo oikodespotes Beelzeboul posos mallon autos oikiakos

Please pick the word or words in the above text that means "face".

Thank you

6. ScottEmerson

Are you perhaps having difficulty understanding Peterson's method of translation here? The was is implicit in Jesus' saying that he is the God of the living, not the dead. Idiomatically, "dungface" is the modern equivalent of the epitath that Jesus speaks of. Maybe you should go back to the your Message and read the preface again, because it seems your argument is with his model of translation not with the specific instances. I still do not have a problem with either of these renderings, because the meaning of each of the Greek comes in loud and clear. Other Greek scholars have also agreed. I wonder if beginning Greek students (or those who don't really know it at all) would have a problem with the translation, because they are more comfortable with the word-by-word translation. They just haven't gotten into understanding the large picture yet when it comes to the translation of ancient texts.

7. ScottEmerson

And, an honest question:

Do you believe that Peterson is

a) academically dishonest
    b) not as knowledgable about Greek and Hebrew
    c) actively trying to subvert the gospel by adding occultic terminology
    d) other

8. ScottEmerson

Your Jewish source said that. I provided several who said that it was a clear and primary reading of the text. Perhaps you can do some research into the difference between Beelzebub and Beelzebul. That may be where your confusion lies.

9. Spirit and Truth

Scottt stated:

And, an honest question:

Do you believe that Peterson is

a) academically dishonest
    b) not as knowledgable about Greek and Hebrew
    c) actively trying to subvert the gospel by adding occultic terminology
    d) other

S&T:

I do not know Eugene Peterson, therefore I can not form an opinion based on your above questions. I can , however, form opinions about his paraphrase. If any of the above are true, I am sure that God will bring it to light. It is not my job.

10. Spirit and Truth

Scott stated:

Are you perhaps having difficulty understanding Peterson's method of translation here?

S&T:

If Jesus didn't say it, then it is not a translation, therefore not the word of God. No difficulty here. The difficulty will occur when those who altered His Word will have to answer to Him.

Scott:

They just haven't gotten into understanding the large picture yet when it comes to the translation of ancient texts.

S&T:

"The large picture" is just another man made term to excuse away altering the Word of God. God did not mis-peak or stutter. He said exactly what He meant. The Scriptures are a living book. Every time you read them the Holy Spirit reveals something new from the same texts that have been read for thousands of years. God does not need a man, to bring a "fresh" new approach, as it is clearly written that the Holy Spirit is our teacher.The wisdom of men is but foolishness before God. I find many Christians these days acting like gnostic Greeks.It appears that the Book is accurate.

11. Spirit and Truth

My source stated:

(2) The word "Zebul" (from "zebel," dung) is a cacophonic corruption of "Zebub," in order to give the name the meaning of "god of the dung."

Scott stated:

Idiomatically, "dungface" is the modern equivalent of the epitath that Jesus speaks of.

S&T:

Face or it's equivalent appear no where in the Greek text. Dung is a reach, but let's not quibble. I am merely looking for textual proof. I do not care about the opinions of men.

12. ScottEmerson

Then your problem is found in all translations. Jesus never said the words, "not," "yes," and so on. So, in your case, everyone who translates has altered God's Word. Can you see that?

By the same principle, the KJV, NASB, and all other English versions are unnecessary. What you and I are disagreeing on is that I believe that humanity needs to understand God's Word, and shouldn't have to learn Greek to do it. Translations are a way to bring the Word of God to man, and God thankfully uses learned men to find equivalents for the Greek language. By your argument, we need NO translations - we can just allow the Holy Spirit to speak, and help us understand the Hebrew and Greek. Do you not see where this argument is taking you?

13. ScottEmerson

This is true. However, the Greek uses the corruption Zebul. Again, type Beelzebub and dung in any search engine, and you'll see how the corruption took place. It happened before Jesus spoke the words. This is easily seen.

Then you should throw away every single translation that exists. Man makes opinions about the meaning of Greek words and then translates them as such. Wycliffe did it, the KJV translators did it, NASB translators did it, and Eugene Peterson did it. All of them are based upon the opinions of men, for only the originals are inspired by God. Once you understand that, then the intention of Peterson becomes more clear.

14. Spirit and Truth

After many wordy posts, there is still no textual evidence to support Mr Petersons "guesses". There is none Scott. There is no explanaton also how occutlic phrases are coming out of Jesus mouth in this paraphrase. You can two step until the end, but there is no proof. I will present some more "guesses" that are clear as mud shortly.

15. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Spirit and Truth said:

La la la la la I can't hear you la la la la la I have my fingers in my ears la la la la la

16. Spirit and Truth

Ransom intelligently stated:

La la la la la I can't hear you la la la la la I have my fingers in my ears la la la la la

S&T:

It's not the Canadian way .

17. Spirit and Truth

Scott stated:

Idiomatically, "dungface" is the modern equivalent of the epitath that Jesus speaks of.

S&T:

Of the hundreds of translations in print today, please show me one with dungface or even dung in it.

18. Spirit and Truth

Albert Mohler, a Baptist scholar appeared on the Donahue show last year in a debate about Jesus being the only way into Heaven. Here is an excerpt from an article about the debate:

But another guest, Union Theological Seminary (N.Y.) President Joseph Hough, took exception to evangelicals' beliefs, even saying that God could possibly be a "she." "The basic problem I think here is that their God is too small," Hough said of evangelicals. "For me, I'm passionately Christian. I am a Christian. I believe in Jesus as the one who showed me the way. But I would be the last person to be so arrogant as to assert that my God has so little imagination that she or he could not reach out to other people in other cultures and other ways." Host Phil Donahue followed by telling Hough, "You speak for me." Hough also said that "those who claim that they know who is going to be saved" have scandalized Christ's name. "I think God knows who is going to be saved. I'm happy to leave it in God's hands," he said. Mohler, trying to put the entire panel's debate in perspective a few segments later, said his views parallel the beliefs of the church since its inception. "This is what Christianity has represented throughout the centuries," Mohler said. "That's just an historical fact. Liberal Protestants, like Dr. Hough, have moved away from a doctrine of biblical authority." With Hough responding, "That's not true," Mohler posed a question: "Do you believe that Jesus said, 'I am the Way, the Truth and the Life, no man comes to the Father but by me?" "I don't know whether Jesus said that or whether John wrote it," Hough responded. Said Mohler: "[But] it was written in the Word." "Don't you know about historical criticism?" Hough asked Mohler. "... Then you should read a little bit of that. If you did, then you would know that that book was written in the second century." Comments such as Hough's reflect historical critics' suspicion of the Bible's truthfulness by insisting it includes historical inaccuracies. Mohler responded, "You take the Jesus of your scholarly imagination, and I'll take the Jesus of the gospel." Hough, pointing to a Bible Mohler had brought, asked, "Do you believe that Bible literally?" "Yes, I do," Mohler answered.

Mr Mohler is the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary President. After reading his responses, it gives me hope that some Baptists are trying to maintain sound doctrine.

19. Spirit and Truth

Did the "translator" omit a few important descriptive details?

1 Corinthians 6
    8 But you do wrong, and defraud, and these things to brothers!
    9 Or do you not know that unjust ones will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be led astray, neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor male prostitutes, nor homosexuals,
    10 nor thieves, nor covetous ones, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor plunderers shall inherit the kingdom of God.

Don't you realize that this is not the way to live? Unjust people who don't care about God will not be joining in his kingdom. Those who use and abuse each other, use and abuse sex, use and abuse the earth and everything in it, don't qualify as citizens of God's kingdom.

S&T:

The abusing the earth thing has a nice "gaia" touch.

20. ScottEmerson

Yawn... You haven't answered a single assertion. You have ignored Peterson's own words in his idiomatic method of translation. You spout things like not trusting man, yet you do not disavow all translations. I answered why Peterson used the word choice, and it fits perfectly with his method of translation. You refuse to accept that, and that's okay, I suppose. As Ransom noticed, it is a matter of placing ones fingers in the ears and talking loud enough so that you can't hear the other side of the coin. As was shown several pages ago, the claim of occultic phrases is dubious at best, and academically dishonest at worst, yet you say, "there is no explanaton [sic] also how occutlic [sic] phrases are coming out of Jesus [sic] mouth in this paraphrase." Even when shown proof, you still turn a blind eye. But keep your data coming. It's fun to disprove over and over and over again.