1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Military Draft

Discussion in 'Vets and Friends' started by Salty, Jul 31, 2019.

?

Should the Draft be restarted?

Poll closed Jul 29, 2020.
  1. I am a VET/Active military and YES lets restart the Draft

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I am a VET/Active military and NO do not start the Draft

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. I am a VET/Active military and only use the draft for WW III

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. I have never been military and only use the draft for WW III

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I have never been military only and NO do not start the draft

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  6. I have never been military only and YES lets restart the draft

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Buuuuuuuuttttttt, Conscription is PLAINLY Constitutional.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The concern was that if the Communist won - they would be one step closer to the USA

3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And then it would have been our fight. Like Jesse Winchester said, "Call me when the Communists get to Mississippi. "

4. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There were far more factors that combined presented basically no options.

Hind sight from folks who didn’t live, work and face those difficult and very divisive days is a poor measuring rod.

There is always so little in victory that is not shadowed by sadness when any conflict ceases.

5. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    From what I've read over the years, military drafts in the US were (at least in the ACW and the two World Wars) based on the calling up of the unorganized militia.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There was no Constitution during the Revolutionary War, thus there would have been no constitutional barrier to it. There was however voluntary enlistments for a set period of time and when that time was over the men could go home immediately. The same thing existed during the Civil War. It is also my understanding that one person could pay another person to serve for them. Things sure have changed since then.

7. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There was Conscription during the Revolutionary and Civil wars. Soldiers were forcibly retained well after the end of their original term of service in both wars.
    The founders saw the need to conscript a Colonial army. Do you really think they would then outlaw Conscription?

8. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Too fat. Can’t score high enough on ASVAB. Bad credit.

And no draft. Draft means I’ve got people that don’t want to be there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the draft is a safe guard to keep special interest groups from staging a military coup. All volunteer armies are a threat to national security. The main reason WWI and WWII nations kept the draft was for that reason. But in view of this, Conscientious Objector provisions should remain for those who refuse violence in any form.

#49 1689Dave, Aug 2, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  10. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I was just saying that there was no Constitution before the 1800's, therefore it did not apply. I have no problem with conscription in any way and as long as there is a provision for bona fide conscientious objectors I am fine with it. In times of extreme national emergency conscription would be desirable as the whole nation needs to be brought on board. Should we ever do that again, we would have more people available as I am sure that this time women would also be subject to being called up.

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the Supreme Court had to "find" reciprocal rights not mentioned in the constitution, just as they "found" the right of a mother to abprt her baby, there is nothing plain about it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the digital age, you do not need large numbers of troops, if you have large numbers of drones, UAV's and other "smart" weapons.

13. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You haven't realized yet that the southerners in South Carolina like to "revise" their history.

The revolutionary war was by its nature a war which couldn't draft anyone. Washington's call for Militia was really nothing more than a call for state volunteers. Saying the draft occurred in the revolution is silly revisionist history. Washington didn't even use "stop loss" at the Battle of Boston.

Some equate militias with the modern draft and there is basically no equivalence. They are very different institutions.

That being said, this is suppose to be a Baptist forum. So, is there any biblical support for the draft? Even in the Old Testament?

Didn't think so.

14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

But on the other hand - does Scripture forbid a military draft.

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The information did not come from South Carolina. I have not been here that long. It came from college in Tennessee where I was an undergraduate student, and later from one in Alabama (still in the South, I know) where I was taking an ethics class (Troy State).

Yes, there is biblical support for the draft. I don't know about in the Old Testament, but in the New Testament we are to support our government. If told to register for the draft then we are to do so because it is the law. There are provisions for consciousness objectors. Whether or not one believes the biblical support applies may be another matter, but to say it is absent is a bit silly.

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why too late in your life (did you want to be a mercenary?)

17. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Deuteronomy 20:5-8 NLT
    “Then the officers of the army must address the troops and say, ‘Has anyone here just built a new house but not yet dedicated it? If so, you may go home! You might be killed in the battle, and someone else would dedicate your house. [6] Has anyone here just planted a vineyard but not yet eaten any of its fruit? If so, you may go home! You might die in battle, and someone else would eat the first fruit. [7] Has anyone here just become engaged to a woman but not yet married her? Well, you may go home and get married! You might die in the battle, and someone else would marry her.’ [8] “Then the officers will also say, ‘Is anyone here afraid or worried? If you are, you may go home before you frighten anyone else.’

Basically, if someone didn't want to fight, they didn't have to. That's the law God enacted.

Now, remember that God did not want a king and Samuel listed some evil things a King would do.

1 Samuel 8:10-12 NLT
    So Samuel passed on the LORD’s warning to the people who were asking him for a king. [11] “This is how a king will reign over you,” Samuel said. “The king will draft your sons and assign them to his chariots and his charioteers, making them run before his chariots. [12] Some will be generals and captains in his army, some will be forced to plow in his fields and harvest his crops, and some will make his weapons and chariot equipment.

But even more important than that, God Himself did not enact a draft. When the people did not want to invade Canaan, God did not draft them and force them to invade Canaan anyway. God waited to see if the next generation wanted to do it.

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not believe the US is the equivalent of OT Israel.

19. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course! That’s why murdering babies is A-OK!

20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not sure which passage you think allows Israel (or the US) to practice abortion. You are wrong, however, as murder is a sin against God. Consider Cain and Able. Do you not understand why it was wrong for Cain to kill Able? We are created in the image of God.

But regardless, do not hijack this thread for your support of abortion. No matter how you twist Scripture there is no passage that supports your agenda. Abortion is wrong. You and the DNC cannot change that.