1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Millennium and Temple Sacrifices

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Andy T., Aug 8, 2006.

1. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

This is a question for those who hold to a premillennial return of Christ and a literal 1000 year reign.

Will the Old Testament temple system with sacrifices be in place during the Millennium? If yes, then how does this square with Hebrews 9-10 and other passages that speak of Christ's sacrifice being once and for all?

2. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

I haven't study this out in great detail, but I'll add my .02 just as something to think about.

What could happen is that with Christ's return to earth He takes His blood out of the heavenly sanctuary where it is now and places it on the mercy seat here since He will be ruling on earth.

Again just something to think about.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am pre-mill and believe in a literal 1000 yrs. I have never heard of this among us.

4. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

How do you interpret the latter chapters of Ezekial where it indicates a restoration of the temple system? Most dispensationalists have interpreted such to be fulfilled in the Millennium.

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I have not studied this, and am not saying I agree or disagree with this, but I've heard that it's the praise or thanksgiving sacrifices that will be practiced, but not the ones for sin since Jesus fulfilled that.

6. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Eze 44:27 And in the day that he goeth into the sanctuary, unto the inner court, to minister in the sanctuary, he shall offer his sin offering, saith the Lord GOD.

Eze 44:29 They shall eat the meat offering, and the sin offering, and the trespass offering; and every dedicated thing in Israel shall be theirs.

Eze 45:19 And the priest shall take of the blood of the sin offering, and put it upon the posts of the house, and upon the four corners of the settle of the altar, and upon the posts of the gate of the inner court.

Eze 45:22 And upon that day shall the prince prepare for himself and for all the people of the land a bullockfor a sin offering.

Eze 46:20 Then said he unto me, This is the place where the priests shall boil the trespass offering and the sin offering, where they shall bake the meat offering; that they bear them not out into the utter court, to sanctify the people.

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus fulfilled all the offerings, not just the sin and trespass offerings.

8. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Well, as I said, it was something I sort of recall hearing. Did not say it was my view.

Maybe someone will post a view or answer to this. :type:

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

The note in the NKJV Baptist Study Bible I have for Ez 45.17 say that these passages are about the sacrifical system in the Millenial kingdom that point "in retrospect" to the sacrifice of Christ, just as the OT sacrifices pointed toward Christ.

The notes also say that the "prince" spoken of here cannot be Jesus as he eats bread "before the Lord" and offers sacrifices.

10. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

How do we maintain a "consistent literalism" of these verses in Ezekial and the many NT verses (esp. Heb. 9-10) that state Christ's sacrifice was once and for all, fulfilling the OT sacrificial system? Is there anyway that we can say that the Ezekial verses have already been fulfilled (literally)?

11. Rex77

Rex77 Member

The OT sacrifices and feasts will be a memorial, as we keep the Lord’s table now.

And we will keep the Lord’s supper in the kingdom as well as a memorial.

We will keep Lord’s table

Mt 26:29 But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom.

And Israel will keep passover

Lu 22:16 For I say unto you, I will not any more eat thereof, until it be fulfilled in the kingdom of God.

#11 Rex77, Aug 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2006
  12. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

O.k., I can understand celebrating the Lord's Supper and even Passover in the M. But what about all the animal sacrifices for sin? It does not seem consistent for the Apostles to tell Jewish believers to not go back to the sacrificial system since Christ fulfilled that, but then in M they do go back to the OT system.

13. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

I assume the notes in your NKJV Baptist Study Bible are written by Baptists. Modern Baptist are predominately Dispensationalists therefore their notes will reflect that. Now, does the Bible itself say these are "in retrospect" ? Or does the Bible actually say these are for a memorial?

14. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I think actually they are Presbyterians. Just kidding! :tongue3:

No, the Bible does not say that. Yes, it's a Dispensationalist Bible but I'm probably one, too.

Don't worry, I have a partial Preterist friend and many Reformed and Calvinist friends, including some 5 pointers.I run in very eclectic circles. :thumbs:

15. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

That was my only point. It was not in the scripture then how did they arrive at their conclusion? Their notes are reflective of their eschatology. They have to do something with that passage so they chose to make it a "memorial" despite the fact their is no evidence to do so.

You can judge a person by the kind of friends they have. :thumbs: