1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Most Asked Question During Ordination Exam

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Deacon, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unknown Tongues is its own discussion, but we agree on prophecy. Any prophecy that does not perfectly harmonize with scripture is false. Any "prophet" who gives prophecy that does not come true is a false prophet. That fact in and of its self eliminates about 99% of the modern "prophets."

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope. :D:D

3. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. They are finally seeing that the gifts of the Spirit died with John.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

My ordination questioning was "easy", as far as ordinations go. Everyone on my council has known me since I was a child (or in the case of one, a teenager) and many were responsible for instilling the correct doctrine in me.

Since they knew me and what I believed, for me, the questioning was more a discussion of how I was going to lead the church that has been dropped in my lap as a 22 year old.

Spoiler: the church had a LOT of problems before I took it, including the fact that the previous pastor basically disappeared. It was one of those small churches run by a single family. Or more specifically, a mother and daughter in that family.

We butted heads quite a bit. And in the end, I was there less than a year before moving on to become a youth pastor at a church a few hours away.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

5. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't know how you figure that. Charisma is more widespread now in the SBC than at any point in history. The SBC President even issued a statement of tolerance about it not too long ago. They walked back the missionary disqualification.

#25 Reynolds, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  6. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The ordination Council in this association would fight about it. They would then have a third point to fight about.:Whistling

7. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can say it because it is true. The gifts passed with the last of the Apostles. Paul made that very clear in 1 Corinthians.

Just because people are faking "tongues" or are being overtaken by a mild form of mental illness, doesn't make their gibber gabber a language.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You said "they are finally seeing the gifts died with John." I am not debating that with you. I am saying the practice of tongues in SBC is more popular now than at any point in history. Genuine or not would be another discussion.

9. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is my point. Tongues are not being practiced in the SBC or anywhere else because tongues ceased with the death of the Apostle John.

10. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why the apostle John?

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was talking to one SBC pastor - who said the Home Mission Board would not approve him (which would have included financial support) because he told them he practiced a private prayer language.
    And I have spoken to other SBC pastors who have also stated that they have a private prayer language experience.

It is there - but for the most part - kept under the carpet.

I Cor 14:19 states that "Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue."

I have always stated that those five words would be "Ye must be born again" !!!!!!!!!!!

12. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow. Where are you guys hanging out? :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You seem to have missed the point. It can't be there because it does not exist. Whatever it is, it is NOT the biblical gift of tongues because that gift ended at the close of the 1st century.

14. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    He was the last of the Apostles. Probably died around 102 AD.

15. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He was the last of the original apostles, but there were more than 12 apostles. I would say there were 24 or 25 named or mentioned but not directly named.
    We know the gift of tongues was widespread in the early Church. The day John died all the believers who had spoken in tongues for many years could no longer speak in tongues? Bet without CNN to tell them John died, they were confused as to what happened.

#35 Reynolds, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have not missed the point. I agree that tongues has ended - but the FACT is that there are Sou Baptists who do (attempt to) speak in tongues.

17. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your opinion. You can make a case it ended, but you can not come anywhere close to proving it beyond a reasonable doubt.

18. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are a lot of Southern Baptists who speak in tongues. Tongues is no longer a disqualification from being approved by the mission board.

19. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Admittedly there are those that have experienced some gibberish charismatic fluff of which many boast, BUT THAT IS NOT the tongues of 1 Cor. 13.

The tongues of 1 Cor. 13 are actual earthly languages.

Folks such as Tyndale had and have such a gift, it is not passed away. Tyndale was fluent in eight. I can hardly function with one.

It may not be acquired the same way, just as healing may take place by medical personnel, but the gift remains. There are those who are gifted multilingual. Such has not passed away.

Cassidy and I disagree on when the cessation occurs. He places it at the death of John, I place it at the start of the millennium. We use the same verse as proof. I just show that if the apostle Paul didn’t see clearly, himself, then the only time when all is seen and known is at the start of the millennium. No doubts, nothing unknown in Scriptures starting then.

What BOTH Cassidy and I agree upon is that there is NO PLACE for some gibberish such as the charismatics hold. It is not Biblical.

The “unknown tongues” of the Bible are earth languages.

The prophecy must conform to what is consistent in and with the Scriptures.

There have been times when overwhelmed I had to rely totally on the working of the Holy Spirit to process the words acceptable to the Father. But those are private, in the closet times that are no ones business.

Eli thought Samuel’s mother drunk, as she poured out her complaint to God.

How sad, when believers can go their whole life and not met the Father in such condition and find Him completely trustworthy. It is not a time of bragging, but a reflection that bring rejoicing.

20. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ....sounds about right:

28 Verily I say unto you, there are some of them that stand here, who shall in no wise taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom. Mt 16

21 Peter therefore seeing him saith to Jesus, Lord, and what shall this man do?
    22 Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? Follow thou me. Jn 21

34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all these things be accomplished. Mt 24

• Agree Agree x 1